UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Skill Stars (re: powerlevelling)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Feb 01, 2002 3:38 pm    Post subject: Skill Stars (re: powerlevelling) Reply with quote

JOSSH recruiting poster (US server) (EU server)

Skill stars are the third powerlevelling choice for powergamers. The first is fluxhunting, and the second is your PoliticalRating medals. (there's another option and that involves mining *g*)

=========================
Basic Skill Medals 101
=========================
  • Spirit of Unity: purple ball...killing flux with guns/missiles (can you say "cutlass missiles"?)
  • Safety Belt: yellow circle...successful dock (this one's a nobrainer)
  • Miner's Heart: blotchy red bar...selling a single load of ore (I recommend leaving this one for last)
  • Ring of Commitment: hourglass...duty hours (the time sink *g*)
  • Tactical Pride: yellow bullet...successful missile HIT (doesn't have to be a kill) I recommend cutlass missiles
  • Honor's Mark: yellow shield...successful mission completion (any type, any faction. even neutral destination)
  • Leap of Faith: Yellow triangle...jumping through a jossh (no brainer, sorta) Aim to fly THROUGH a jossh
  • Path of Light: White whorl...holding a beacon for 20minutes+ (most dangerous if yer cocky)

Missile Accuracy: The second hardest medal to get is "TacticalPride".
    I'd recommend you get someone to broker you cutlass missiles (goto solrain wake station. ~10kcr a pop), make sure you also get some FlashFire modx's brokered as well (~5kcr each, and they recharge...unlike the sim where they disappear *g* And since modx are uninsured anyways, might as well buy "black market"). Take transport missions between Wake and Cornea (you'll need decent speed for the snails and those FF's to run from the occasional barrak snail c5, and manta c6). Once you find a c1-c4 which is on a head on course with you, fly toward it and fire BOTH missiles at 10k distance, then reverse course...both missiles will connect and take it out it's shields. c1-2's get taken to 10% shields; c3's get taken to 18% and c4's to 23%)...)If you have a wingman/mentor let him take the squid out and you get 1/2 the xp/cr bonus.)

Beek Flipping: Finally, the most dangerous medal to get is "PathofLight". (here's an archived thread about this)
    Since you are mildly experienced in docking procedures, i'd recommend you buy a BCU modx gear and equip it (the color of your faction)...Then, WEARING CIVVIE TAGS, fly through the nearest GREY colored "Beacon"...it's best to come to a full stop in front of the beacon's "tunnel" (Look on the map and toggle the "arrow icon" below the "ALL" icon (map settings) To find the nearest grey colored sector) Be careful of conflux faster than you, and meanie pvpers who think a grey beek is worth fighting over. *g*
Once you've gotten ALL your basic skill medals they will be replaced by a skill star, and you start all over again with higher requirements. Though if you're already at those requirements you still have to do the action required for that medal type. *shrug* Well, in a nutshell you get 500xp for each of the eight base medals and 1500xp for a skill star...plus an extra 15000xp for a glory star (5 skill stars)!

Extra XP above and beyond your basic mission bonuses...
Skill Star = 6000xp (includes 8 basic medal xp total)
Glory Star= 45000xp (includes the 30000xp you get for 5 skill stars total)
Don't forget that the above totals don't count the XP you get for killing individual flux...For your first glory star you need 25 flux kills. this usually consists of squid kills. (so a minimum bonus of 5000xp for that)

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:24 pm; edited 7 times in total
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 3:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I really like the 'cane to fire 6 cutlasses from. Only takes out 2 squid for all 6...

Another choice is to fire 6 MS, but only at kraken/manta (C9/snail now seem to be able to evade MS some - which means you have to come up with tactics to use it against them). MS is not worth it on squid since only 2 are needed to kill them.

Last choice is Purgs. They have been modified in amongst all the patches and now can consistantly hit (basically 100%) c2-c5, c8,9 using my "run from them and fire at them behind me" tactic.

Note: my observation is that all flux have AB - fire a missile at 'em and see how fast they go! :grin:
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Liet wrote:
I had the same problem in early retail: No matter how much mining was done, I didn't get the skill star. This led to a very frustrated oct sitting outside Qcore ranting. It turns out the requirement isn't cumulative, so you need to mine the ore all at once.

now, there's a few items out there that will help you figure out what exact numbers you need. One is HiTekHick's datacharts or you can use KillerMist's 3rd party program...or you can bop over to our "rival"'s website where they have a spreadsheet. (MACK squad linkage)

BTW, here's an old archive of hitekhicks older version of that datachart

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Nov 22, 2002 6:30 pm; edited 4 times in total
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2002 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiTekHick wrote:
I really like the 'cane to fire 6 cutlasses from. Only takes out 2 squid for all 6...

Another choice is to fire 6 MS, but only at kraken/manta (C9/snail now seem to be able to evade MS some - which means you have to come up with tactics to use it against them). MS is not worth it on squid since only 2 are needed to kill them.

Last choice is Purgs. They have been modified in amongst all the patches and now can consistantly hit (basically 100%) c2-c5, c8,9 using my "run from them and fire at them behind me" tactic.

Note: my observation is that all flux have AB - fire a missile at 'em and see how fast they go! :grin:

smackers can hit c1 & c4 reliably from any craft thats not heavy,and launches missiles from a relativly centeral location.
1. Make sure you have a duelist/vtc/bullseye equipped and a slow/ammo weapon.
2. locate approaching c1/c4.
3. Run away from it to burn of any latteral velocity.
4. flip cleanly, and fly at the flux - use the vtc/bullseye dots to ensure that you and the flux are apporaching each other directly.
5. Launch a smacker from 5K, cut thrust to let it get ahead, and f your craft is particularly wide, nudge the control to turn slightly towards the side the missile launched from.
6. The c1/c4 will see the missile just in time to turn and present a broadside, but not soon enough to actually accellerate out the way.
7. booom. repeat.

stingers & other guidance 1 missiles can hit c1...c5. - as long as you have a craft with a decent roll rate - the tows roll rate is too slow. Here the strategy is simple.
1. Make sure you have a duelist/vtc/bullseye equipped and a slow/ammo weapon.
2. Locate & get about 20K clear of the target flux.
3. Stop dead.
4. Face the approaching flux, and roll as necessary to center its approach.
5. At 10K launch a stinger, or 2 or 3 in rapid succession. (if you wanna kill a squid, launch 2, if you wanna kill a snail launch 3 - if you want to play with the flux for a while - launch one less :P)
6. Roll your craft rapidly to keep the flux on course, and even to turn it right into the missiles path.
7. boom, boom, boom. repeat as necessary.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

notice to anyone needing to link some n00b asking questions about glory/skill stars. please cut&paste this below code to make things easier for you and convenient for the n00b. thank you.

========== start ============

[url=http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?p=5749#5749]Glory/Skill Stars 101[/url] (includes images and tips, etc.)[list][i]Plus links to [b]HiTekHick[/b]'s medal requirement charts and [b]KillerMist[/b]'s 3rd party program of the same nature...Actually, everything that's ever been said coherently on the subject is there. *g*[/i][/list]

============ end ============
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: