UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeworld
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy: When i played Hiigara, Elison showed up; my mothership was at a pixel of health, and slowly moving upward, thanks to judicious repair 'vettes. It was VERY close, tho, it stopped going down right as i reached the 'vette unit cap. woo.

/me wants HW2 bad.

I have Adagio for strings and the vocal version, Agnus Dei, in my playlist that i listen to while playing JG.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="MajorFreak"]the reason most people hate them is they suck against fighters/corvettes.

the reason most people hate mines is because they are TOO effective against caps =\
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 9:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welp, case fan's installed (I had to cut a vent in the outer plastic case so the fan could blow air - IBM's supposed to be better than this - and now my heat issues appear resolved still. :)
Tryon

PostPosted: Thu Jun 13, 2002 8:35 pm    Post subject: If you liked Homeworld and you enjoy Jumpgate.... Reply with quote

Hi Rainy13,

Even though I'm new here to UMEC I always like meeting new people and talking too much. I was figuring that if you havnt tried it already, you might want to pick up a copy of Tachyon: The Fringe. If you enjoy Jumpgate and Homeworld, you'll probably like this game. My only disappointment was that it went by pretty quickly. Having Bruce Campbell do the voice for the lead character really added a lot to the game. If you do pick it up, let me know what you think about it!

Cheers.

Tryon
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kay. If I see it in a discount bin anywhere, I'll do so. :) I'm so loved *dance*
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

pretty nice game; only semi-linear, nice looking, interesting story. the old squad Bora Coalition got their start in Tachyon.

After being so used to the physics engine for JG i had trouble adapting to the atmospheric physics in space concept.... lol.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 14, 2002 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiigaran wrote:
pretty nice game; only semi-linear, nice looking, interesting story. the old squad Bora Coalition got their start in Tachyon.

After being so used to the physics engine for JG i had trouble adapting to the atmospheric physics in space concept.... lol.

Er, Jumpgate IS a ... motion of objects in a fluid simulator - that is - atmospheric physics.

Not having played the game... either theyve doen it properly and implemented true newtonian physics with no speed caps or drag effects, or theyve implemented the really lame(tm) wing commander system where ... turning and thrust are directly bound to your forward velocity. As you reduce thrust you immediately brake - you dont apply thrust so much as set a speed - its impossible to coast in such an engine - if you drop thust you stop - if you dont drop thrust and try to turn you end up immediately going forwards in the direction youre facing.

I dont know how to describe such a engine (wingcommander style) in physics. If Jumpgate is actually a submarine simulator, then Wing commander is best described as a burrowing simulator - imagine your ship is actually a burrowing device with a large screw that drives you forward through the earth. If you stop turning the screw - you stop - if you turn your ship - it turns in a curve and is now going the way youre facing. It just burrows real fast ;)
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 5:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OKAY! Back on topic *glare* I have a question:

Why are my salvage corvettes sometimes unable to haul in a ship? What I mean is, I glom on with enough 'vettes (3) to, say, a destroyer, but though the destroyer ceases firing and moving, it doesn't start heading for my mothership. It's very annoying.

I find it happens most often when I know where to expect a ship to appear. But it's not an absolute. It's really bad at one point: in mission 14 (Bridge of Sighs?) there are 3 jumpgates (heh) that the enemy can send reinforcements through. THey do so after you shoot the gate a few times. After wiping out the first wave of reinforcements that emerge, a second wave of 2 destroyers and 1 missile destroyer warp through the gate. If I salvage any of them with my nearby salvettes, the destroyers just sit there. My corvettes attach and everything looks good; the enemy destroyers even turn to face my mothership: they just won't move.

This is very frustrating. Any suggestions? And yes, I am running v1.05.
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 7:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ran into the same problem

I ended up having to wait untill the destroyers moved away from the hypergate before trying to capture, then it seemed to work fine.

Some ships like the Tyranic Carrier near the begining of the game can't be captured (the Tyranic Carrier requires 6 salvetts, but only has 5 salvage points)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy13: it's a documented bug. unfortunately, they haven't released a patch since march of 2000.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 6:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yeah, I've tried the "let them move away from the jumpgate" trick too, but they don't even get moving from the jumpgate sometimes!!! They warp in and sit there. *grumble*

I'll just go bang my head for a while.
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 9:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

send in an expendable wing of 'vets to shoot em then have em run back twards your fleet. the Destroyers should follow.

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you can find a rock" --bumper sticker

"Server will be a bit, Josh says we're rebooting everything in sight"--GM_Istvan
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 15, 2002 11:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry, rainy, fer not linking you to that common bug fix...somewhere on relic forums

eeeeeeek! work in 2 minutes
UberJumper
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy:

If you look closely at those salvaged Destroyers you'll find that they actually are moving. Just so freaking slowly it takes a longggg time to salvage them. Those Destroyers have always done that... we tried to get Relic to fix the problem in 1.06 but Sierra never released the patch.

There are some situations (even after 1.05) that results in you being unable to salvage ships. If this occurs, try to release all your salvagers and re-attach them. That might clear the block, and let them start salvaging again. The problem is known as the Build and Salvage bug.

Later!
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 8:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice. I had a feeling that others might have encountered the BS *grin* bug. I've tried the reconnect thing, but it usually doesn't help... unless I let the target drift for a while before reconnecting. *shrug* Ah well.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oooooooo!! thanks for helping Rainy13 out, bro!

hhehehe...Rainy13's a hardcore "salvage monkey" addict going through withdrawals
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I reran the game as Taiidan. I just got to the last mission. My fleet?

1 Kushan Carrier (retired the other)
18 Kushan Destroyers
4 Kushan Cruisers
56 Kushan Ion Frigates
6 Kushan Support Frigates
18 Multibeam Frigates
2 Kushan Missile Destroyers

(Plus my Taiidan ships - full fighters, 25 salvettes 25 multivettes, 6 missile destroyers)

I got bored or I'd have more. ;)

Incidentally, something very very weird happened in Bridge of Sighs (another anomaly) at one point, after I'd destroyed or (mostly) captured the front half of the sphere of ion frigates around the hyperspace thingies, and captured the capships guarding the hyperspace thingies, all the rest of the ion frigates started to move.

Uh oh. That happened to me once in my Kushan game. I moved the wrong way and suddenly everything was on my butt. 80+ remaining frigates is a wall of death. But this time, they didn't move to engage me:

They moved their demi-sphere formation roughly 50km further away from me and the gate, stopped, and resumed sitting around. Very strange.

*shrug* Okay. Now to find Cataclysm in a discount bin...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 16, 2002 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe..yeah. that bug. it's triggered the moment you go over the threshold and get that animation cutscene...most people miss it the first time because they're too busy fighting to bother watching what's going on with the sphere in sensor manager. (at least that's been my assumption for ever and ever)
    btw, i liked cataclysm's storyline. most people thought it wasn't epic enough...ah well.

oh. you'll love the improved interface, and the ability to <home> to mothership from sensor manager. hehehe (oh, and order combat and stuff from sensor manager...even waypoints. repeating waypoints. upside down backwards looping waypoints)

and and and *muffy feints from lack of sleep*
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was there ever a fix found for the Shift key held down to change the height of a move makes the height jump around randomly? damn thats irritating.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 5:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I ... er ... tried to capture the entire sphere once. It got the jitters halfway through, and moved out of range... Im not sure I got close enough to the center to trigger the cutscene...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 17, 2002 7:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaadF00d wrote:
Was there ever a fix found for the Shift key held down to change the height of a move makes the height jump around randomly? damn thats irritating.
hehe...yup. lol. la la...now what did UberJumper say years ago...oh right, he told me once that it was probably caused by mouse sensitivity selection being too high in the game options.
    there's also an ingame fix i use...now what the hell was it? uhhh *muffy pretends to zoom aim on a hyperspatial sensor point* damn...i forget, it's kinda been awhile
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Dec 02, 2002 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I just picked up Homeworld today from the discount bin at Wally-world. I would like to thank Muffy and everyone else (I miss Rainy) that have posted something on it here so I can get a good start (I hope). wtg
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's something n00bs need to know. A resource collector will NOT decide to drop it's ore off at a controller if the RC is refuelling any strike craft.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: