UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Homeworld
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:01 pm    Post subject: Homeworld Reply with quote

Okay. I broke down and, as I said I would another time, I bought Homeworld (for 8 bucks too) :) and it's cool. I'm pleased.

Thanks guys.
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 06, 2002 11:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I guess I know what game to get in case I ever find free time outside of doing stuff for JG. :D

Rainy, you gotta check out some of the HUDs people are making. Not to mention an über HUD that I'm working on (took a screenie and put it in UMEC private forums). I've just started working on it, but don't have much time right now because I'm gonna see if I can beat Hurricane to GS #8. I did 32 missions in just over 2 hours today... Whew... That's about 1 mission every 4 minutes.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy13: hon, in all seriousness, if you have ANY questions, no matter how esoteric or obvious...please ask me. I was THE premiere database consultant for the entire homeworld community...Actually, i am still considered one of the major contributors to the homeworld community - no matter how estranged i am now.

fuck modesty. I am homeworld. period. *g* (though firstkor13 might have extreme exceptions to that opinion. lol)
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Two things:

First. it doesn't help when you post as GUEST. I like to know to whom I am talking to.

Second, I'm not really getting into it. It's pretty, and I'd love to watch someone else play... but I'm realizing that controlling a fifty+ ships in a RTS is not for me. I have never gotten into them, especially in multiplayer. Starcraft, C&C, Warcraft, they all kick my butt in MP.

It's not that I just need practice, or better strategy (the responses I expect to hear). It's that I don't have a knack for situational awareness, and I don't manage multiple groups of anything well. I'm a born corporal and/or technical advisor not in the TOE at all, not a master sergeant or officer. I've known that a long time, and I'm happy with it.

Thanks for the offer for help, though. I'd love to hear some war stories. :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 3:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmm...well, i have to confess i'm not good at multi-tasking in a 3D environment...nobody is. (well, maybe folk like firstkor13)

Situational Awareness tips
My usual thing is to keep my force composition simple...my disposition even simpler. And my tactical considerations fairly braindead.

I concentrate on having a force that supports one single combat advantage and i ignore anything else...which is why i never really did great in MP (though i never tried much in that arena. lol)

In the first half of the game it was heavy corvettes backed up with bombers....this was replaced with multigun corvettes backed up with cloaked fighters. The capital ships and other stuff was mainly to deal with what my combat focus couldn't handle or was in the wrong location to deal with...disposition mainly. (i'm one of those who liked playing AgeOfKings celtic race so i could mass produce light cavalry and giving my gold away to allies. heh)

Paper, Scissors, Rock kind of mentality never really appealed to me cause my situational awareness kinda sucks...my mentality was HVY VETTES+BOMBERS. UGH. (replaced by multi'vettes+cloaked)...hell, i maxxed out of cloaked fighters in the last few maps...nothing could touch em. muahahah
  1. In the advanced stages of the game i rely heavily on minelayer corvettes to blunt the major forces arrayed against me...they take heavy casualties if i make a single mistake, but they can be replaced. (expensive, but they are a force multiplier)
  2. For fighters i rely solely on bombers and then cloaked fighters (if you're taiidan, just have bombers. don't bother with silly defense fighters)
  3. For corvettes in the combat arena, i go with about two dozen heavy corvettes that are replaced by multigun corvettes (multigun are FAST, LONG RANGE aggressors...on evasive they're a bitch to hit; plus, they SLAY enemy cloaked fighters if yer playing Taiidan)
  4. For capital ships i go with support frigate madness...don't really rely on assault/ion/drone(or defense) frigates...though salvage vettes come in real handy and you can salvage LOTS of stuff. more than your build limitations even
  5. for super capital ships i suggest destroyers over missile tech...though salvage anything you can...as for the cruisers? more the merrier, though i tend to limit myself to two carriers (kushan preferably)
  6. probes, research vessels and the various other things i've not mentioned come in handy in MP...but i'm not your best bet for that stuff
STRATEGY AND PRAGMATICS
My favorite way to play Homeworld is to rely SOLELY on heavy corvettes and their ability to "burst fire"
    there's a trick to it:
  • Get about a dozen Hv.Vettes and put them in Evasive (F2)
  • Have them in formation and remember once you use the burst fire you'll break formation, so re-form them after the job's done
  • don't overuse burst
  • if you see a tight group of fighters approaching wait till they get within 5000m and activate the special ability
  • don't bother using burst fire more than once against a single group...after the first shot simply order them to attack as normal
  • do not rely on them to autoattack (it's slower rate of fire by default)
Guidestone has been kind enough to maintain a section devoted to strategy, and in particular a MuffyFAQ *g*
http://www.guidestone.com/strategy.homeworld.asp

How i usually play is to build two groups of 12 hv.vettes in the beginning of the SP game. (if you sell your scouts and squeeze every last drop out of the first two maps you'll be able to afford 11 hv.vettes before even having to deal with the raiders in map2)
  • don't buy research vessels
  • don't buy another resource collector or resource controller till the third map (even then, limit your resource gathering to 2 collectors and 2 controllers...until you manage to salvage a carrier)
  • avoid using probes...they cost money
Above all. DON'T listen to fleet commands suggestions to CHECK THAT AREA OUT ASAP...take yer time and watch your resource ops.

Oh, and when you get a carrier i'd suggest toggling the "autolaunch" feature off (it's on by default)
phechileon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:08 pm    Post subject: oi Reply with quote

helo muffy, rainy, et all. frstkor13 here, and I have a few links and a bit of advice for you.

first off since you like say you would love to hear some war stories well I can one up that... my team's(Freelance) homepage includes the most comprehensive strategy site for homeworld there is, with 100+ expert level recordings for you to watch. they are better than typed out war stories for sure. Freelance site.

also, you shouldn't be discouraged if multitasking is hard for you or irritating, its obviously hard for everyone. but, it's just like everything else that you have to learn to do. going from flying janes usaf flight sim to flying a betanix took soem getting used to too, but after some practice you learn how, and it will pay off, trust me. hw didn't get game of the year from tons of magazines for no reason. :D try practicing vs the computer on hard on talas crossroads. keep your resource op and your atacking force near the dust clouds near the center of the map. this will make it easier for you to watch both groups and it will seem less like multiasking and more like one battle.

so anyhow, check out the FL site first off, then watch some god recordings, and I mean really watch them... then try playing a cpu on talas for a bit. If you want more tell muffy to rouse me and I'll throw some more advice in.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not to mention making me giggle at your typo. "god" recordings, eh? hehe...you deserve the freudian slip. U R HW GOD! :)-
phechileon

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 9:00 pm    Post subject: rofl Reply with quote

and since i logged in as guest and haven't registered, i cant edit it. :P
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Jun 07, 2002 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ha - theres no way i could ever succeed playing Homeworld multiplayer - im just to damn used to my single player strategy that revolves around me loseing 0 units.

My strategy vs the computer is very simple.

9 multibeam frigates in a wall kills almost anything you choose to target. Anything they cant kill - the 7 missile destroyers behind them will.

Bunches of support frigates keep the multibeams & missile destroyers healthy. Just select a support frigate, hold down z and band box a group of multibeams, do it again, that that group of multibeams is sorted.

The bad boys in action.

http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota001.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota002.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota003.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota004.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota005.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota006.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota007.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota008.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota009.jpg
http://www.nepweb.com/chris/hw/shota010.jpg
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 2:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I captured the Taiidan Carrier in mission 5 (iirc) and evolved a stratagy around that.

Basically I use the carrier as a big resource controler/scout fleet. Assign a few multibeams and support frigates to keep her healthy and use her to store salvage corvets and a big ass wing of bombers.

If I run into a fleet that's too big, I pull the carrier back and send in the fleet of captured frigates/destroyers/cruisers to deal with it.

I just wish you could build multibeams

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you can find a rock" --bumper sticker

"Server will be a bit, Josh says we're rebooting everything in sight"--GM_Istvan
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 3:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL! I love you Muffy, but sometimes you go overboard. I haven't even beaten the Great Wastes (L5?). I've learned most of the commands, and I'm even a dab hand at using salvage corvettes, but larger attacks on me (either in single or vs. cpu skirmish) are still confusing as hell. I can pause all I want (and I do) but I'm just not following the action.

The encouragement here is great. I followed your links, and I've heard the advice (I think I followed most of it - took a minute to decipher things like 3-0 2res and other abbreviations). The $8 copy of HW I bought included the Prima guide, so I have their advice to go on as well.

That's not the problem. I never expect in these games to be a decent PvPer, it's just not in me (trust me, I know). At least, not as a major player - I'm great at support. But even in vs.CPU games (my Starcraft experience comes to mind) I've had lots of problems. Not just managing my fleets (yes, I use KISS, and I know about hotkey grouping) but in understanding what my enemy is using.

I don't really know why I've posted all this. I guess I'm just posting a thank you, and reflecting on my absence of innate talent for RTS. Yes, I played other RTS games in the past, and never did get much better even with practice. I just don't think it's in me. Turn-based strategy, however... well, fear my Egyptian Modern Armor units! ;)

See y'all around. :)
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so baadf00d is one of them psycho types who doesnt want to loose any units?

Man, i just build em up and fling em at the enemy... salvage what i can, mop up what i cant.

:)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate building capships cuz they're so damned expensive. Instead of building my own, I steal em and then become rather protective of em.

I'm rather proud of the pair of Carriers and the pair of Heavy Cruisers I pilfered :)-

"Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggy' till you can find a rock" --bumper sticker

"Server will be a bit, Josh says we're rebooting everything in sight"--GM_Istvan
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 08, 2002 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy13: mmmmmm...i tend to panic in heated combat. It's kinda overwhelming. That is until i learned not the "paper, rock, scissors" approach to dealing with who attacks what, but a "hammer & anvil" strategy instead.

you know those corvettes and fighter combo i talked about? well, i keep those corvettes on evasive and they're the anvil. As soon as i commit them, i switch to my fighters who come in from the reserve position to strike the enemy capital ships one by one.
    if i need heavier support ELSEWHERE, i alway count on my capital ships to do the blocking maneuvers (minelayer vettes i talked about are a support to this blocking force)
Again, let me stress i think most people gain satisfaction FROM the panic and the techniques they use. That's the joy of RTS.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrms... okay, I guess I *do* have some questions.

1) Is there a difference between Ion Frigates and Ion Array Frigates? if so, which should I keep, and which should I recycle?

2) By the end of Mission 9, I have 16 multibeam frigates. Do I even need to worry much anymore? What are their weaknesses (aside from lousy aim)?

That's all I can think of for now.
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ion frigates have a single cannon, Ion array frigates have several iirc,

the multibeam frigates are better than any other Ion frigate, but you have to be careful with em as they have a tendancy to hit friendlys. A group of MBFs can kill just about any ship in a matter of seconds.

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ion array frigates trade rate of fire and agility for power....though their low maneuvability and inability to fire "on the fly" cripples them. (also, don't ever put capital ships in a formation. just group them by hotkey and order them around)

multibeam frigates just slay. good job, you "salvage monkey!" hehe...but don't use them in the attack on the supernova research station. they'll go boom from the radiation.

*non spoiler*
Oh, and the Sea of Shadows ghost ship you'll need to understand that it's "special ability" is disabled by the amount of shots that hit it, and not the damage inflicted. (and best bet is to use some scouts with them on F2 evasive and special ability to distract the missile cruiser...about 10 should do...otherwise that sucker just pounds your fighters/corvettes that are concentrating their fire on the Ghost ship...and besides, you'll want to "capture" it.)
    try not to use the special function of the missile cruiser...it doesn't work that great cause it'll waste shots. Use it only if you love to see those missile fly! hhehe
The Supernova station takes some getting used to...i'd keep all your fighters and corvettes docked. (preferably having your corvettes in the carriers)
    this is the map you get the ability to research and develop minelayer corvettes. have fun. they just SLAY capital ships. DATA: minefields last 15 minutes and take 5 to lay an entire field (get 9 minevettes and lay them at the spot where you see the enemy heavy cruiser, do this right before you launch your end game attack on the station)

DATA: it takes 5 salvettes to capture a heavy cruiser. It'll take AWHILE to transit to the mothership, and i usually don't bother waiting if i have a decent force. (the salvettes will survive the trip...might want to babysit them with a few support frigs.

DATA: best tactic for the end battle is to concentrate your fire on the Ion Cannon Frigates and anything that's attacking your support frigates...once you've got a second to spare take your missile cruiser and use some fancy camera angle to attack the defender wall exclusively...that'll cut down on the clutter.
again. good job on the multibeamers. keep them at the mothership for these two maps. *g*
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 11:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't even remember Homeworld, lol. Cataclysm I still break out every now and then. Tad more balanced.

In Homeworld ,I think I just used to steal everything in sight. It was just too funny not to do.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Argh - cap ships and formations just *dont* blooming work.

Spend their whole time trying to stay in formation and not bloody shooting at the enemy.

nonetheless, Multibeam Frigates (arnt they called Corvettes?) grouped by 9, go nicely into a 3x3 wall formation that - assuming they have some lead time to form up - is quite devestating on the enemy, and they dont shoot each other in the arse - its always embarrasing when the majority of damage to your fleet comes from friendly fire.

I think that cap ships in formation are managable if you put them on evasive, as evasive ships break formation on attack, the cap ships when theyre in firing rage forget about trying to stay in formation and actually start shooting.

The multibeams I found work quite well in the supernova mission - just have them escorted by support frigates that have special functioned the entire group. The only problem is the frigates will then take damage - so you need to watch them and get them to repair each other. Its all a bit tricky. As I cannot pass up the mining oppertunities either, well getting resource collectors out to the roid patches is tricky - you need a carrier out there to repair them, and to watch the collectors carefully to stop them charging off accross the map and blowing up.

I think perhaps I shall play homeworld through again and capture zero units - except for the missions where capture is a mission objective. It will be interesting for once to actually finish with a mostly kushan fleet. tactics will have to change - the final mission might actually be difficult...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hiigara in twelve easy steps
  1. ASAP: multiguns launched from mothership and sent above; minelayers from carriers and send to the front and laying soonest; support frigates on mothership; destroyer class+ capital ships to the far front (they'll be the first thing you'll order to attack); carriers to launch 75 cloaked fighters (two carriers spit them out fast enough); assault/ion frigates to the bottom; sensor array to far bottom along with collectors
  2. take out the cruiser and destroyers while your lower force takes out those ICFs; watch your multivettes for opposing force from carrier
  3. once done first combat theater send your carriers/collectors to the resource patch and refuel your cloaked fighters at MS; keep one carrier at base to support end game assault
  4. send minelayers to the rear and continous lay
  5. as soon as 2nd assault shows up in radar send your cloaked fighters to kill AFs then ICFs then HC
  6. refuel at MS; don't forget to reinitiate minelayers
  7. as soon as 3rd assault shows up lather, rinse, repeat
  8. cancel minelayers and send to front; refuel cloaked fighters
  9. the last assault from the front you'll want to let within shooting range of MS or you won't get Cpt.Elson period.
  10. as soon as Elson starts his end game run just tag along behind him with everything and mop up
  11. don't forget to refuel fighters/vettes halfway there
  12. type OMG GG EvilEmpress
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMG GG EvilEmpress?

Oh, and any reason I should be getting random CTD while playing? *grumble*
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

baad and muffy are psycho... DONT put cap ships in formation? What are you smoking?

If you dont put em in formation, some stupid ion cannon frigate gets in front of a Hvy cruiser and gets wasted by friendly fire.

Instead, put them in small, 3x3 or 4x4 formations, and not all in one big clump.

Rainy: have you patched it? There is at least one patch... just log onto WON and you'll get it.

Kami: Crapoclysm is NOT balanced. I dont see how classic ISNT balanced: both sides are basically the same. Please, share your wisdom on this to me.
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I see... enough to say that, if your caps aren't in formation, they turn and respond better. The price they pay for that response, however, is increased Friendly Fire damage. *shrug*

I did patch, I thought. The CD came with 1.05 (?) patch on it. Hrms. I'll look for a more recent update.
Burner
Cmd Sgt Major
Cmd Sgt Major

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm maby I'll dig and find this CD the next time my cable modem craps out roll . It might take a while tho, I don't throw anything out so I still have the origonal DOOM and the driver disks to my old 486 :o !
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy13 wrote:
OMG GG EvilEmpress?

Oh, and any reason I should be getting random CTD while playing? *grumble*
no problem luv. Me and UberJumper are friendly, i'll go chat up our technical guru and see what your problem could be. (though without system info it will be problematic, though it might be something obvious)
UberJumper wrote:
Few tips on finding whether problems are being caused by the video or the sound:
1. Be sure you are not running any other application. Terminate all programs through CTRL-ALT-DEL, leaving only Systray and Explorer.
2. Be sure that nothing is set to "always on top", even the taskbar.
3. Try running Homeworld using all the available renderers. If the problem persists even in software rendering mode, chances are, it's not video related. However if in SW the game runs without hitches, it's the video drivers.
4. Disable your sound card through the Windows Device Manager and run the game. If you still get crashes, it's not because of the sound card. If you don't, you probably need to find new sound drivers or lower the number of audio channels in the game.
The above steps are just in order to better isolate the problem.
your system information can be gotten by running (using win98SE+ ?)
C:\windows\system\dxdiag.exe
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 4:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT* Hiigy: you know that's really rude of anyone to ask him that...what makes you think he'd want to be offended by a friend? (i'd have deleted this post and private messaged you that asking this question invites more people to think that uberjumper knows anything and would do something moronic like asking him, but i realized you might want to "renovate" this post)
    your original post is cut to size 1...just edit this any way you want, bro

You could even remove my entire *EDIT* and have it like it was...and i wouldn't do anything nasty either. (course i'd not forget how rude you were to ask me that question :p )
*muffy spank*

[Hiig] I'll leave it as it is... i guess i didnt make it sound like i was being sarcastic (i was). It was a joke. Oh well. Move along.

[Muffy] Good thing too. If Adun found out about that I'd never hear the freakin end of it. lol

Last edited by Hiigaran on Tue Jun 11, 2002 4:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon Jun 10, 2002 10:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I applied my oldtech brain to the problem (I already use and know yer suggestions, I'm not THAT n00b) and went with the most basic: I popped off my case. It's a heat problem (no more ctds) and my crappy P3 just doesn't have enough cooling. *grrrf*

I looked at my case closer today, and realized that, unlike my old P166, this case doesn't have a case fan!!! *boggle* Just the cpu and power fans. *sigh* Time to install the one from the old comp, I suppose. AND...

I'm gonna head over to pricewatch instead and hook myself up with some better parts. I gots my paycheck recently, and I've been eyeing an Athlon 1800... :D 8)

Incidentally, I just reached the last mission (haven't started yet). I did mission 14 the evil way :P and now I'm ready to beat the game. Lost a couple multibeam frigates on the way (down to 13) but I'm up to 4 cruisers, 12 destroyers, 3 missile destroyers, and 70 cloaked fighters ;) plus ancilliary ships. I'm pretty happy. :)

Oh, and I took your advice and tried out the minelayers. Gots a full wing of 12 of em. They're pretty nifty. :) Do they regenerate their mines? Or refit them only when they dock? Also, are cloaked fighters like attack bombers, only a little better (and a lot slower to build)? Statistically, they seem equal or better, but I've heard a lot of comments against them. What's the deal?

Anyways, thanks for your continuing commentary. *HUG* :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 2:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*huggles* yer welcome.

minelayers just slay. you can have as many mines as you can pump out...the reason most people hate them is they suck against fighters/corvettes. (but that's just basic rock/paper/scissor semantics)
    as for MP action? hmmm...relies on surprise really, since they don't show up on radar you can lose collectors to them if someone's forced attacked dust clouds.

Best defense against minefields is a keen eye (so you can avoid them or force attack them)
Code:
Ship name ROF  Damage per Volley Volley Mass Bullet Speed   DPS  Official
Bomber    22.2      115.000          1          4000 m/s    42.55      42
Cloaked   17        139.7            0          4000 m/s    39.9       39

Max.V (m/s) Yaw rate Mass (tons)  Armour Strategic Value
Bomber    750        2.8        10         110      Very High
Cloaked   775        2.2        10         150      Low
you'll note the ingame "firepower" stat is actually DamagePerSecond. (DPS) The build time and expense of cloaked fighters is prohibitively large for multiplayer.
*Muffy shudders with ecstasy over the times he has been able to build 75 cloakers*

mmmmmmm...speaking about multiplayer, there's some training videos of mine that are pretty darned detailed (with synched checklist too). unfortunately, my freaking host site www.guidestone.com decided to crap out today.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now I see why cloaked ships are definately a luxury, esp. in MP.

I just beat the game. Mission 16 was definately interesting, even going in with 5 Cruisers and 14(+?) Destroyer-class ships (I had a fleet of over 20 salvettes working overtime starting around mission 8).

That last mission, Hiigara, is odd though. If you kick its butt, you don't get to see the Defector Captain (Elison?) and his reinforcements. But if you're doing poorly (enemy ships break through) then both he, and a buttload of enemy ships, warp in and proceed to annihilate your mothership. Seems like either your game is effortless or pained.

I beat it first by using an overwhelming show of force and sneakery (amazing how fast those assault waves fold when every destroyer/cruiser is salvaged en-route) and missed the captain completely - then I said damnit, I want the captain, and let some ships get through, and promptly got my MS destroyed. :o Only had 2 support frigates leeching the pain away. So I said I WILL BEAT THE GAME WITH ELISON!!! and proceeded to beef up my home defense fleet, scrap some frigates so I could pop out 4 more support frigates, and I was fine. :)

Quite a fun game. The ending was beautiful... and the music definately rocks. Especially the theme music - I first heard Samuel Barber's 'Adagio for Strings' done as a choral work while watching a Homeworld Demo one time, and I loved it... but couldn't tell who had done it. Then I stumbled across it purely by chance in the library, and eventually bought my own copy. Let me tell you, the original (it's 8 minutes long) is VERY worth listening to if you liked the edit that Homeworld uses. If y'all don't already know it (and want it) it's available on a CD called Agnus Dei. Not a bad classical CD. :)

Now I understand why so many HW fans came to Jumpgate... and why they're not happy. Fortunately, Eve seems to have the capacity (to a better degree than JG, anyways) to satisfy the urge. We'll see. :)

I've rambled enough. Laters, and thanks for helping make my HW experience more enjoyable... all of you. *hug*

(Edit: song and CD names)

Last edited by Rainy13 on Tue Jun 11, 2002 3:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jun 11, 2002 1:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:Read: *muffy gets warm fuzzies reading that* spin
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> ARM projects & Homeworld forum All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: