UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Taking aluminum seriously (post '52)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat May 18, 2002 12:17 pm    Post subject: Taking aluminum seriously (post '52) Reply with quote

EDIT: replaced the old PJG url tags with Hornet's jumpgate web clone
http://www.special-unit.com/jgweb/MarketLister/index.php

ALUMINUM

Ammunition
Composites
Construction Materials
Electronics
RF Transceivers

of the AMMO guns, these are the types without decent levels of stock (ie. less that 500 tri-wide; the others hover around 5000):
Barrak
Hitman

of the missiles, these are the types without decent levels of stock (ie. less than 500 tri-wide; the others hover around 5000)
MorningStar
Purgatory

Of the modx's, only one had stocks that weren't hovering around 5000...
Duelist
    BTW, though unrelated to aluminum, there's zilch flashfires at Amananth.
FYI, there's some things commonly missed (BCU's, size4 radars, displacer/insight and proxyfuses need RF trans)...just take a look at the "economy watch" over at PJG
http://www.special-unit.com/jgweb/MarketLister/index.php?server=US&watch=1

What a strange illusion it is to suppose that beauty is goodness.
~Leo Tolstoy

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:34 am; edited 3 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed May 22, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by Muffy:
Quote:
Originally posted by skree
No amount of mining will make enough alum for the economy to function. The aluminum production is broken. Bugged. It was recognized and said it'd be fixed when they had time. That was more than a month ago.

Just because things like aluminum are supposed to be produced hardly makes the economy automatic. Tow pilots spend all night and millions of credits as it is and can't keep up currently. REGARDLESS of the futile attempt to make alluminum by mining.
I agree.

You know, if mining/economy was worth a damned we'd have no problems dealing with an aluminum bug. It isn't or else the damned TRI faction mission would have been done ages ago...You know what i'm pissed off about? The fact that there seems to be endless amounts of gear that shouldn't be made because of the Al shortage...but it is being made. The only reason people are freaking is because the items most in DEMAND by pilots aren't getting the SUPPLY priority.
  1. Is that because of coincidence?
  2. or a totally fubar system?
  3. or deliberate attempt to force shortages?
  4. actually, it's prolly a combination of all three
Your best bet for a sense of perspective on what's being affected is this url:
http://hornet.linuxfr33k.com/JGW/MarketLister/index.php?server=US&watch=1

Let me stress a point: There is no way there should be the SUPPLY of stock in other items compared to the zilch in a few select items in DEMAND. by. the. pilots.

i am soooooo sick and tired of toeing an arbitrary line dictated by the latest whim Digitus gets hit with...I'm toeing it simply because i have hope the developers are going to eventually get around to fixing this P.O.S. economy.
Quote:
Originally posted by Muffy.
Quote:
Originally posted by LyteFoot
The fact is that people who move equipment have always been important but invisible. Now the pilots who mine, move commodities, and move equipment are not only visible but extremely vital. I'm having a hard time seeing the big downside. I would love for the ratio's to be higher for mined ore but how without actually producing more commodities than the ore you actually mine?
Aye. Switch the arbitrary commod infusions (most of them) to a system that sets infusions by a tally of daily mining habits per station.

Unfortunately, that "would" eliminate most of the uniqueness of station/faction production exclusivity.

until you realize that there are lots of commods that "aren't" made by mining ore.
  1. Antimony,
  2. Barium,
  3. Carbon,
  4. Chemicals,
  5. Grain,
  6. Helium,
  7. Iridium,
  8. Lumber,
  9. Molybdenum,
  10. Nitrogen,
  11. OrganicFoods
  12. Phosphorous,
  13. Textiles
  14. Vanadium and
  15. Xenon
are "obviously" produced via hydroponics vats, chem labs and things of that nature. (orbital delivery would be ludicrously expensive relative to orbital factories...Gravity Wells are money sinks. (not to mention highly susceptible to politics and warfare. VERY strategic target orbital delivery is.)
    Though i'll bet politics is the reason that planetary resources contribute to the TRI effort. (relatively speaking, TRI's pilot population is .01% of the "official" 9 planets total)

ADDENDUM: There's another consideration that's key to this: NetDevil control versus Player interaction must be balanced...Otherwise it would prevent ND from actually using the economy in a roleplaying sense (shortages, boosts, etc)

FYI, not having "invisible" infusions would detract from alot of folks fun...One asks oneself if living an actual realistic pioneer's life would be easy?

BTW, I don't see "fine art" (and other gravity well cultural luxury articles) in the market place, do you? (i'm happy to assume it's an invisible part of interstellar commerce...except contraband...droool! illicit goods traffic! w00t!)

EDIT: fixed muffy typo with water

Last edited by MajorFreak on Tue Jun 04, 2002 7:14 am; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu May 23, 2002 10:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

god damnit! Savant (or Trident or someone else) deleted that latter thread!

http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/ARM/NDforums-giveusalum.htm
unf! GG ph33r my 1337 archivist sk1llz!!

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Nov 15, 2002 10:32 am; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon May 27, 2002 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UMEC classified PJA data
UMEC classified gearstocklevel data
    and since slopey's commod stock level charts aren't online, try spacemonkeys. (see my Newbie Please Read thread at ND)
(BTW, no worries about rotacols running out...they seem to hover at 2000 units)

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-05-27 03:14 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 03, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hurricane wrote:
In response to
So little around do to the fact that it's used in so many different second tier commods. It's produced at SC now while they sort out Oct production problems. Well SC uses it for Composites. And the Composites are being hauled to Hyp to make Barraks, that are destroyed by the waring pilots around the galaxy. Until things quite down and there is more peace (god I hope that doesn't happen to soon) alumiun will always be in short supply.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jun 09, 2002 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ND general forum thread
Renewed problems with aluminum shortages. (mostly because the FMs didn''t call for common ore?!?!)
    anyways, the "band-aid" solution didn't take into account a faction war now currently underway...that burns through commods faster than anything we've ever known.
Damned straight there's a shortage of stuff. you'll start to see droppages all over...not just the "buggy" stuff. Back in betatest the aluminum levels during wartime were damned low too...(or was that because of that annoying "rollover" bug?)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Gameplay (ie. Content) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: