UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Okay... please help. Please! (routers)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Okay... please help. Please! (routers) Reply with quote

I've had ongoing problems with my connection to JG, ever since beta. Jumpfreezes mostly, but launchfreezes and occasionall (and especially since yesterday) freezes when I try to connect to the server.

They're never hard freezes - I can still hear mp3s or cds playing, when I play them, but I can't ctrl-alt-del or alt-f4.

I've installed ad-aware to get rid of spyware. I've updated my GF3ti200's drivers with the 23.11... that fixed some of my jumpfreezes, incidentally.

Now I need help. I don't want to ditch this game, and I haven't seen anything on the ND boards that's worked either. I quit last time because of play-frustration, and I don't want ot quit again.

System specs:

IBM P3-500
17" monitor (drivers installed)
GF3 Ti200 (23.11 detonators installed)
ESS-Solo 1 integrated sound (yeah, I know. I'm looking to replace it asap)
25GB HD, optimized, scandisked, defragged regularly, with 9gb free space
Ethernet card for my DSL, Linksys router, all with prepackaged drivers.

I don't have CTD problems, never had, and I *never but during a blue moon* get freezes in any other games.

Please help me. If I can't resolve this, I'm melting my CD and deleting all my links to JG. I can't but can't take this fucking shit anymore.
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 6:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It may be a firewall issue.

Do you get them in Offline sim?
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 8:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Huh. Never occurred to me to check that. *whap self*
I'll try offline siming... but I don't ever recall a problem with siming.

Are there ports I should make sure to free, to help JG play? I know I had to open some ports to be able to host Dungeon Siege, but...

> Edit <

Okay, I read up on the router firmware issues and such, and I successfully flashed to 1.30. The Linksys ftp server is apparently down alot, for I couldn't get the 1.40 (most recent) flash, but we'll see how this goes. Hopefully I'll be flying in a bit.

[ This Message was edited by: Rainy13 on 2002-05-04 16:46 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat May 04, 2002 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't forget to check out Eradu-San's site i linked in my n00bs plz read thread.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 10:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't know the ports, but you want to open the directplay ports. You'd think MS would do this automatically. They do with XP.

A knowledge base search on directx port might help.

9 times out of 10, if it isn't the firewall, its something wrong with drivers :sad:

Guess I'm lucky in that I have very common devices that have been supported for a very long time.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 12:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You saw this reply about your linksys stuff in that Dungeon Siege thread, right?
Quote:

On 2002-04-24 11:04, Greebo wrote:
Ok - when you go to the MP site for Dungeon Siege, the front tab is a lot of text, and buried in that text is information on which ports you need to open to host JG games.

The port range you need to worry about is the one for INCOMING data.

You have to configure the router to direct any incoming connections on the range of ports listed (something like 2400-2500 but I dont' have the exact #'s here) to YOUR computer.

So you need your computer's internal IP. To get that, go to a command window and type "netstat -na" -- the first IP in the first column (the IP repeated the most) will be yours.

Now browse to the linksys router in your browser (http://168.0.0.1 I believe) and log into the admin screens. Go to advanced functions, and one of the tabs is for opening up ports...

Open up the range of ports required by Dungeon Siege, and direct them to your computer's IP.

Viola - should work. :smile:

Good luck!
BTW, i don't know what a router is...what's this linksys about? why would one want one in the first place? omg..i just used http://www.google.com to find out..

you mean it's your ISP who's dumped you with this problem? ewwwwwwwwwwww

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-05-05 07:57 ]
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not exactly, Muffy. If I didn't use a router, I'd never have the problem. But I am, because I want all three home computers to be able to share my DSL. It's the DSL's problem, then.

And the firmware upgrade appears to have worked, so far. :smile:

Incidentally, I run Win98SE, and one of the few flaws with 98 is that it's not as cutting-edge internet-friendly as, say, XP. Not that Xp doesn't have its own problems...

[ This Message was edited by: Rainy13 on 2002-05-05 13:55 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun May 05, 2002 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmn
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 1:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay, I still got a launchfreeze. The problem ain't gone. Any other suggestions?
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 3:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere there's a post listing the ports that JG uses. Try opening em up on the router
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon May 06, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Somewhere? On the ND boards? PJG? UMEC? I'll hunt the ND boards, but any narrowing of the search would help.

Okay, the ND boards didn't have anything on opening ports, but I found a few other tips I used:

1) I physically removed and uninstalled an unused Rockwell WinModem I'd forgotten was there, and
2) Did a thorough virus scan (clean), and
3) Finally got through and downloaded the latest and best firmware for my router (1.40.1, instead of 1.30).
4) I also checked all my fans (working) and I'm not overclocking or running oodles of applications (at idle, my system has 5 tsr's :razz: )

[ This Message was edited by: Rainy13 on 2002-05-06 00:14 ]

Okay, as per Lothar's suggestions via MadCat, I opened ports 5150 and 5151 on the router, and between that and the last firmware upgrade, I've not had another freeze.

If I have to, I'll reinstall DX8.1. I know it's not DX, tho, because I had the same problem with 8.0 (Only installed 8.1 for Dungeon Siege - got tired of it, so 8.1 can go if necessary).

Flown for a while wiht no problems, last night and this morning. I think/hope the problem's finally gone.

[ This Message was edited by: Rainy13 on 2002-05-07 10:25 ]

PostPosted: Tue May 28, 2002 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rainy13:

I'm 99.8% sure that the problem is with DirectX 8.1. I don't know about XP, but it has serious issues with 98, NT, and 2000. I'm speaking from experience here. I can't tell you how many people have told me that their PC started freezing inexplicably after they installed 8.1. It happened to me as well.

The really troubling part is that the only way to fix it is to reinstall your operating system. Then install 8.0 and threaten to shoot anyone or anything that demands you put 8.1 on there.

But before you resort to that pain, there's a chance that the issues you're having are with your video card. Do you have the latest drivers for it? If so, is it being cooled enough? If you have an extra card laying around, try swapping them. It could be that simple.

Best wishes

Anonymous

Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Thu May 30, 2002 2:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, friend, I guess I wasn't clear enough in the above post. The firmware upgrades to the router, coupled with opening the JG ports on it, fixed the problem completely.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: