UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Automated Ranger reply

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ND ship balance forum thread
After all thh bitching, i've come to the conclusion that my initial impression of the "rollio wannabes" whining about the nasty griefer ship class called, Ranger, was correct.

They all hate the fact they can't solo grief anymore and have to adapt to wolfpack hunting
Quote:
Originally posted by YoungBeard
I don't feel the rangers need to be nerfed at all. A.Q. Militis has flown ranger-packs a LOT since they came out. I have flown one almost exclusively in all combat missions I've been on, since they were first released. Here's what we've noticed:

1. It takes a long time to kill anything in a Ranger (unless you MS spam, which I feel is the MS-spam's problem not the Ranger's). You can't go toe-to-toe, you can only joust, and the enemy ship can hit you coming AND going. Yes, Rangers are good in packs vs. small numbers of fighters.. but see point number 2.

2. Early on, we were "untouchable". But people have been learning to fight Rangers. A very good example: Wednesday night in GVB, a group of two (2)! Intensities fought off a group of four (4)! AQM Squalls (the Quant Ranger) and one late-coming DDZ bomber, downing three of the quants. Two Squalls fled, myself included. Yes we got our asses handed to us by enemies we outnumbered 2.5 to 1. All of us were experienced Ranger pilots, but we were out of missiles from a prior engagement, and couldn't do enough damage with our guns. And the enemy were extremely skilled... my hats are off to pilots "Dork" and "Sinister" and their Ranger-killing tactical skills.

3. Yes, at first everyone was playing with their new toys. But lately, most large battle groups I've flown in have had more fighters and bombers again, on both sides.

In addition, the ranger is a level 34 ship. I think we should get something better than a glorified scout with more cargo at level 34. The Ranger class is an excellent scout, excellent chaser of wounded enemies, and excellent delivery system for a quick hit 'n run missile spam. It is a terrible dogfighter -- enemy fighters can just stick together and turret the rangers as they make strafing runs (barring missile spam), and they'll do more damage to the rangers than the rangers do to them. Yeah, rangers are hard to kill, but they are certainly NOT the ultimate fighting vessel.

My 2 credits, plus some.

YB

EDIT: On several occasions, after flying in a ranger pack in a large group battle that our side lost, most of the fighters and bombers were destroyed. And the rangers had to run away. We lived, but our allies died. I have often thought to myself "If we'd been flying Typhoons or Tornados we might have won that one". :smile:
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 30, 2002 1:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is only one area i feel uncomfortable with the rangers: their turn rates. (they should be lower than current)

*shrug*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: