UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Disenchanted

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 5:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The bar was quiet. Few pilots were moving about in Quantar Depot. It was 0300 GST, so support crews were at a low number, and not many pilots chose to make QD their drinking location.

Too many returned there after getting podded to want to stay around.

The only figure drinking was an attractive redhead in a Quantar flight suit. Above her right breast read "Terriel", and beneath that the green-and-white circular patch of UMEC. On either sleeve near the epaulets was a UMEC badge with "Defense Wing Captain" above that, and on her epaulets were the stars of a high-ranking Quantar pilot.

A flight helmet sat on the table beside her drink. Its glossy black finish was somewhat battered and well-worn but servicable, and on either side read "Rainy 13".

Below that in gold letters read "UMEC Defense Wing Captain."

Her eyes stared at those glittering words. She'd worked for UMEC most of her flying career, never too ambitiously, but loyally. She'd flown against squad enemies, mined her share of ores, and obliterated countless Conflux. She'd beaten scouts to flip beacons, and had her share of mysterious experiences with anomalies.

Nothing so far had prepared her for getting shot down. It was one thing to get overwhelmed by flux; you generally saw it coming. In UMEC's engagement with the Therapists, she'd gotten podded once but it'd been an almost even flight; her opponent's craft had limped away with millimeters of armor left. And she'd kissed a couple roids too hard.

But she'd never been downed in cold blood before. And over a beacon. She knew it could happen, that flying as Honor Guard was justification enough to too many pilots. She knew she was vulnerable, but reveled in her safety as a UMEC pilot. She'd also never really contemplated her irregular rise into command of the Defense Wing. It'd just happened, much like her rise into the Chief Diplomat slot. She didn't mind that one.

But now... her hands were shaking, and her nerves were shot. By spacelane and TRI rules, she'd been shot down, fair and square, by another Honor Guard pilot. But her nerves didn't care about right and wrong. All they knew was that she'd been violently and unexpectedly podded. A thought emerged which didn't surprise her - she'd known it for a long time.

"I'm not cut out for pilot-versus-pilot combat. I can't do it. Not like that. It's one thing to hunt pirates, but to be so vulnerable all the time... I can't do it."

She reached out to take a drink of her Oct Lite, and her hand shook as it grasped the bottle. She stared at it, then flung the bottle against a wall.

"Damn. I... oh, damn." She stood up abruptly and walked out, leaving three things on the table: a five-credit tip, and two torn 'Defense Wing Captain' badges.
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2002 6:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just missing Dee's exit, a rugged looking fellow walks in, relaxing a little bit from the last hard dock that he made entering QD. He is of average height, a little stocky, with a look that he should be more comfortable on a farm than in space. Looking around the place, he spies the torn badges on the table. Curious he walks over and sees that they are from UMEC.

Thinking to himself, what is going on? It has been a while since I’ve seen Bong, but he’s been around the last week or so. Was there something going on?

As he was turning over the badges in his hands, a faint whiff of perfume hits his senses. Dee? What is Dee doing with Captain’s badges?

Meanwhile, a barmaid came over and gave him a dirty look, then cleaned the table and the tip, and asked, “You want me to take that?” The man looked at the small waitress and shook his head. “No, but I’ll take some of the good Quan bourbon you got.”

The waitress shuffled off, and the man was left there staring after her very nice looking back. But his mind was a million miles away.

Thinking to himself, whatever did I do to get into the defense wing? UMEC now has much better pilots capable of protecting its growing fleet. I’ve got 6 Glory Stars, and that has been my focus, still is. But to what end?

He sits down as the barmaid returns with his drink. “You want me to start a tab for you?” she asks. “Naw, I’ll jest be here a lil bit,” he says dropping 10 creds on the table to which she replies, “Suit yourself.”

His thoughts distracted, he again starts thinking anew about Dee. He is on a different shift than her most of the time, so he rarely gets a chance to talk with, much less, see her. And when they do talk, there seems to be an awkward silence most of the time. He wants to be around her, and more. Yet there is something strange that makes him uncomfortable in her presence.

Well, enough pondering for one day, I ought to go out and make some creds to cover the loss of my last dock. But that was sure fun last night in the sim taking out an artied tensity in a phoon! Maybe I don’t give myself enough credit, but I did manage to take it out with only 1% armor left. Maybe I’m a traitor to Quantar beliefs, but I really like the Defier over the Haven.

Standing up, he absent-mindedly puts the badges in his pocket and walks out.

PostPosted: Fri Feb 22, 2002 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In the dark corner, a tall bearded man watches the red head tearing up her badges on her shoulders. She is a highly decorated pilot of the UMEC. I can see the pain in her eyes. Then a stocky fellow comes and takes the badges. I can read "DEFENSE WING CAPTAIN" on the badges, he's also of the UMEC. I notice six glory stars on his colar.

It takes nerves of steal to defend Quantar space. I discovered that myself this morning.

I was flying HG and flipping beacons when I met an octavian heavy fighter. The first thing I heard was the sound of a missile lock, I ran. I was scared to die.

It is times like this that I miss my forests of Kopenja. I miss the smell of trees and flowers. I miss the sunsets.

I am not a member of a big squad like the UMEC but I do understand the sadness of the red head. I have failed Quantar this morning.

Azalain of the L.O.K.I.
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 30, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

OOC: This is the kind of stuff that gets me and keeps me in the community and the game. This is the storytelling I love. :smile:

Feel free to involve me in your RP anytime, boys.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: