UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch
 
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RP a jerk; or OOC jerk; or IRL jerk. Where are the lines?

 
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Author Message
MajorFreak
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Feb 09, 2002 8:25 am    Post subject: RP a jerk; or OOC jerk; or IRL jerk. Where are the lines? Reply with quote

PJG general forum (updated for purge) <----- repairing ASAP
The mob (whom i've tuned out) cry foul over moderation of the PJG forums...here's a mature response to those whines:
Quote:
*sigh*

I've seen this argument before in various places around the web, and it never ceases to amaze me. The internet has changed the face of business, communication, information storage and exchange, and in ten years, it's grown far beyond anything its creators could have forseen. It might one day be the key to a true worldwide democracy or despotism...hell, it may even evolve into a sentient being in its own right eventually, and yet the only thing some people can think to do with it is to tell each other to f![NASTY WORD HERE] off. Not only that, but they'll go to great lengths to aruge that it's their god-given right to do so. Gossip's shown phenomenal restraint dealing with the crap some of the idiots who post here like to spam the boards with. This is his proprietal site, and like it or not, he can pick and choose exactly what gets edited. Quoting the constitution won't help your cause--what are you guys going to do, hire a lawyer to sue Gossip to allow him to let you call each other fagg0ts and c0cksuckers every time something annoys you? Gimme a break. You want to roleplay? Post your crap in the roleplaying forum. Posting insults like that isn't roleplaying being an assh0le, it actually IS being an assh0le. Let's face it, the people who do that do it for the simple reason that they can get away with it. They're sitting in their comfy chairs wherever they are, shooting their mouths off because they know they're home and dry and they can get away with it. I mean, we all know who they are, there are people like that in every game out there on the net.

But I guess the point I'm trying to make is this: if you don't have the emotional maturity to handle the ability to say anything you want without getting your teeth kicked down your throats, that's your problem. DON'T make it everyone else's. You have the right to say whatever you want? Well guess what, WE have the right to not listen to a word you say. And Gossip has the right to censor or ban you. He's been VERY patient; certainly more than I would have been in his place. Don't bite the hand that feeds

Manticore


Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Jan 31, 2003 11:32 pm; edited 3 times in total
Back to top
MajorFreak
Guest





PostPosted: Wed Jun 26, 2002 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeshin's opinion over on EU forums
I've got a number of posts on this subject of "flaming is the ultimate grief"...just need to locate and crossreference to here. *sigh*
Back to top
MajorFreak
Guest





PostPosted: Sat Jan 11, 2003 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

bumpity bump bump
Back to top
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class


Joined: 05 Dec 2002
Posts: 52

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 10:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

:morn:

Yeah... that didn't go too well with the lesser trolls-wannabes...

"What?? He's calling me a griefer just because I publicly express my discontent with something I am not actually involved in?! FFS" Got a few PM comments... Kinda proves the point, eh.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
MajorFreak
Guest





PostPosted: Fri Jan 31, 2003 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG general forum thread (squad the subject was about)
I find it amusing how people can forget where the line is drawn when one has the invulnerability of internet chat. Personally, i feel real uncomfortable when sexual or racial harrassment happens so casually...and it does. i don't do anything beyond mark that player as a bigot and move on. Unfortunately, i'm amazed these people aren't moderated harshly when they are caught...even more so they seem to think that getting away with something "illegal" in public makes it all right, and the bigots start to think being the asshole they can't be in real life is somehow beneficial for the game.

I know some people might say, "pot calling the kettle black" to my face but have you ever seen me act so vulgar and bigoted to cross the line between "flaming" someone and outright sexual/racial harrassment? (i'm sure a few of you get uncomfortable at my not uncommon "ghey" slurs, tho i hope freedom of expression allows people some poetic license)
    merely using the words, fuck shit damn crap gay etc does not mean i hate fucking or shitting, and i hope my sexual preference is none of anyone's business. *g*
i think the problem is the blatant...uhm...machismo of these braggadacios. it's troglodyte behavior at it's worst and it grosses me out. Call me a sissy, but i fail to see the use of one-upmanship-games in real life or in games. Sure it's fun to engage in competitive sport, but we're talking poor sportsmanship here. (the kind where people will lie to avoid admitting mistakes, the kind where self-effacing humor is avoided, the kind where sychophantic sucking noises and bully tactics are heard more than constructive criticism)

========= below was deleted and move here from there

Quote:
Originally posted by -WerteX-
we did this; we did that; WE R K3WL J00 R N0T
lol. roflmao. omg. yes oh majestic one your words are holy writ. Lo! and on the 7th day Nazgul did rest. sheesh, you folks really know no limitations. that's nice for you, but i feel uncomfortable knowing your idea of playing involves very little 'sportsmanship' and hell of a lot of 'bullying'

How can you effectively roleplay a bully without actually BEING one?
    EDIT: besides, i find it humorous that Nazgul claimed to be the father of the internet as well. I hear Al Gore was a member of your illustrious LOUD and obnoxious squad. lol
roflmao. oh my. i can just hear Luke (aka. king of martyrdom) bemoan Muffy's horrendous trolling against a fair and noble squad who never meant anyone any harm...and blah blah blah BLAH blah.

oh dear, i really must apologize for the extreme *OOC* abuse i've ladled on people i've never met ingame. *sniff* HAHAHAHAAAAAA


Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:28 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top
Gloomash
Cyborg
Cyborg


Joined: 12 Jan 2003
Posts: 5

PostPosted: Sat Feb 01, 2003 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

racial/sexual harassment is the worst thing to be posted.
And then the poster think they are protected when sitting behind a monitor, but they aren't, not at all.

I wonder how some people forget, that what they give to someone they will be returned - homo reciprocans. :read:
_________________
If there's whisdom beneath it, I hope the soil upon it isn't to hard to dig.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail
MajorFreak
Guest





PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 12:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wyx wrote:
Too far
OK I wasn't going to post on here because frankly anyone that I would give a shit about I'd inform privately, but I'm still too angry so I'll let off a little steam. Apologies to Lupus as I said I would not post on here but I think this bears saying.

This is a game, we play characters within a game, some of us, some don't bother, they annoy me, and I think they take away from the game, but fine, it's still a game.

For the past few weeks I have been recieving malicious and frankly pornographic, unpleasant and threatening emails. I don't know who's sending them, I didn't care quite frankly because I don't read them any more. I made my email addy freely available because it's easier for me to use that when trying to organise things than it is the boards sometimes, which OK was possibly a little stupid, so I don't even check that anymore. With the general mentality on the boards JG has been turning into a bit of an arena for little boys (and probably some not so little ones) with egos to get off on. That pisses me off but I've lived with it because I like JG and I love OV. I too am arrogant at times, although that is more related to OV as a whole than anything individual. I've played a fairly hardline character for the last year or more and I never expected that to win me any popularity contests in certain quarters, that wasn't the aim, but again, this is a game has no bearing to what I do in real life. I have always accepted a certain level of abuse and innuendo as one of the prices for being involved in a predominantly male community, and for having a gob like the mersey tunnel. At times in the past people have gone too far and it's pissed me off, but never to the current level.

However someone has actually gone to the effort of getting hold of my work email address. Probably not that hard to do as enough people know my real name and I work for a large well known company, but jesus christ almighty that is ridiculous and could well end up getting me the sack. The company I work for has a very strict policy on abuse of email and the internet, and the fact that I didn't give out the email address doesn't really cut much slack when I find that I've got that sort of crap on my computer screen in the office.

It is with a huge amount of sadness that I'm leaving JG, but I'm not willing to pay money to be involved in a community that contains people like that. This comunity can do great things, I only have to speak to Nibbles to know that. It has also often contained a certain malicious element, but I also know that JG is an escape in a certain way, and it's easy to behave and speak to people in a way you would not to in real life, I've done it myself on occasion and God knows I've got a temper. But this is too far. JG has given me some wonderful friends who I know I will not lose touch with, I can not for one minute regret playing this game because whatever happens I've gained far more than I could lose.

My account expires in a few days, a week at most, and I wont be renewing it. I have every intention of enjoying the last few days I spend here, and I have several Battletow(tm) kits that need blowing up , but after that it's over for me.

Unlike most I have not become bored by JG, I have always found things to do regardless, I even quite enjoyed a 4 week potter trading and artying when I broke my wrist because it gave me a nice reminder of the somewhat slower pace at which I used to play JG, and also how much I enjoy the PvP aspect of the game. There are a lot of people within the comunity that contribute greatly to this game, that I've plotted and schemed with, shot at stuff with, organised stuff with, stolen stuff with and just chatted to. There's also a lot that I think is wrong with the game, but quite frankly it's all been said before and I can't be bothered to start some sort of flame fest.

So thanks to everyone who's helped make this game fun for me for the last 2 years. Aplogies to the people who I've been working on RP stuff with for ditching it. It is a very great shame that it's ended like this.

If you are glad to see me go, as I'm sure lots will be, then please try and keep this from degenerating to the usual level, I will be going anyway, so if you can restrain yourself this once I'd be most grateful.

If you are one of the delightful people who enjoys sending slanderous pornographic and otherwise speculative emails to me, then try and think what you're doing in future. Whether the intention was to offend or to cause other trouble, is a game really worth trying to lose someone their job over?

(a very sad) Wyx.

This of course, i expect will generate note of sympathy from the perps. (no! you don't say! pffft)
    predicted BS wrote:
    But it's just a game (the entire internet thing) as though anyone should take offense at hate mail. shocking!" Of course, i'd never do such a thing. nopers. those people are bad bad bad (puffer fish ego impression)

    Saaaaaaay, that's a pretty good intuitive metaphor. Puffer Fish Egos = Troll = Nazgul. "oh sssh muffy, there's no proof!" uh huh. riiiiight
    DeNiro (Ronin; pretty sure) wrote:
    Whenever there is any doubt. there is none

    jezuz h. and -WerTex- goes on and on for pages like it was his victory speech or something. All the while i'll bet MG is whistling Dixie.
It's kinda pathetic too see folks explain how to delete one's emotions and continue playing. What gentlemen! "get back on the horse, (wimp)" uh huh

They think they're so f*cking smart....Wait wait! FellBlade left too? WTF

idea ahhhhhh. i wondered why that Nazgul freak had posted this earlier in the day. (didn't click it until now. how amusing, "someone close to me suffered a tragedy and mine eyes doth open" speech. riiiiiiight)
    Let's see. i think another thread dealing with this subject is in order here. go figure
-WerteX- wrote:

Well it's weird how the day I get this big wave of enlightenment in terms of my attitude towards jumpgate is the same day everyone starts leaving and it's becoming too late to repair the damage.

Giving me an idea for new RP though.............hmmmmm...........

I know. reminds me of that FBI administrator who phoned the agents dealing with the 911 case and agreed flat out with the sarcastic question posed by the special agent in charge, "Well, it must be total coincidence, right?" (the guy who'd been stalling the investigation because he'd risk his career if he made a bad call. literally)
    yeah, yer not a dumb criminal who brags, Mr.Nazgul...it's juuuuust coincidence. total
    puke
anonymous wrote:
ND's blatant disregard of their racial/sexual/national harrassment of me and others in game is appalling. But--it's ND we are talking about, what do you expect?

So do MG - that's why Wyx & Fell left. But, ND made it's bed and they think everyone likes sleeping in it too because the charmers [read: Cads; nasty peices of work, but they're not short on cunning] seduce them into forgetting about the fleas (that old saying about getting up with fleas is apropos [ooo i contexted it right!])
    guess who the fleas are?
Hyperlink to this post


Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Feb 09, 2003 1:28 am; edited 5 times in total
Back to top
MuffyBot™
Guest





PostPosted: Tue Feb 11, 2003 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Originally posted by -WerteX-
Uhm...I'd feel too much like a huge nerd if I used smack talk consistent with the Jumpgate universe.

Trash talking is too big a risk on this server it seems...the risk outweighs the potential benefits.

I'll personally reserve my smack for F2.
stupid


Nara wrote:
I've played quite a few MMORPGs.

Most of them should only be refered to as MMOGs. Most of them have a story and an immersive environment, but all they really are is a platform for people to compete against each other. Competition can be alot of fun, but it shouldn't be all that there is.

The EU server of Jumpgate is the only MMORPG than can call itself a MMORPG. It has a community that wants to RP. Its not a small minority as with most MMORPGs but a majority.

This provides a brilliantly immersive enviroment. You can log on and become what feels like a real character in space. Because most others are playing a role, your own role play feels all the more real and enjoyable.

This is something precious to me, as I'm sure it is precious to most of the rest of the community. It would be a great loss to many if this server degenerates into what most MMORPGs have always been.

Thankyou for reserving your OOC smack-talk to your squad mates. I hope that the rest of NAZGUL does the same.
ditto

Xyleth wrote:
Just a game?
This is an question that has been perculating around in the back of my mind for some time now, and I think the timer just went 'ding'. According to this referance Jumpgate certianly qualifes as a game. But that's not how I think it was meant. When people say 'its just a game' I think what they really mean is that its something trivial, something not worth getting worked up over or attached to.

In that sense I do not think Jumpgate is a game. It provides an immersive and persistant universe which by its nature lends itself to forming emotional attachments to. People put a lot of work into their charchters and their squads. Hundreds, even thousands of of hours. They build complex backstories and plots within which they move. These are not things that you do if you have no attachment to the 'game'.

Partly it's wish fulfilment I guess. I, for instance, am not a androgynous (note to the picky, 2nd definition) cyborg. But give me the opportunity and I'd take it in a heartbeat. How many people play roles that are essential enhanced or idealised versions of themselves? How many of you can honestly say that the role you play is in no way what so ever related to your normal persona? And because of that, and because its human nature to do so, we form a community. And then things get really messy

I guess my point is this, while I agree that some people could do with growing a thicker hide (but then that is true of real life as much as here), I do not think it is fair or even possible to expect people to not care. By the very nature of what the EU server has become we all have too much invested to be able to do that. JG EU is no longer just a game. I have no idea what it is, but its something more than it was. And I think the same can be said about a lot of persistant online universes that. It's not a game anymore, it's just Real Life in a different setting with slightly different rules.
    *Muffy comment* Xyleth needed to add the following disclaimer to keep the flaming wynars happy. morons. I UNDERSTOOD. fags.
    :headbang: arrghh. I don't think I made myself clear enough. Either that or I'm tragically misunderstood! I'm not saying that the game becomes or supplants peoples real lives (although it has been known to happen). That's unhealthy and a Bad Thing (tm). It was probably that last sentance that did it. Oh well sounded like a good idea at the time.

    I was just trying to articulate the idea that 'games' of this type (beacuse JG is not the only one) are a step above regular games. They're more like LARPs (damm good fun those, anyone here LARP?) or the SCA out in the US. Its something we do for fun and escapeism, but its not something that's so throwaway we don't care about it. Does that make more sense? Oh and I don't drink caffieen on a regualr basis Mull, maybe thats the problem

hm
Back to top
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant


Joined: 06 Dec 2002
Posts: 67

PostPosted: Tue Feb 18, 2003 3:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I must admit Nazgul piqued my interest, mainly from references on here before they re-appeared. And I must admit I am dissapointed, though I must commend them for their ability to post more or less exactly the same old tosh as a reply every time and then wheeling Wertex out to do the puppy dog eyes, "it's us being hard done to" routine.

They do at least appear to have attempted to learn spin, sadly they seem to have chosen Tonies cronies as a model.

And imo as far as "chaos squads" (their choice of words) go, Jade Falcon eat them for breakfast.
Back to top
View user's profile Send private message
Display posts from previous:   
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

 
Jump to:  
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum


Space Pilot 3K template by Jakob Persson.
Powered by phpBB © 2001 phpBB Group