UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Why i never bought EverCrack (and why i love JumpGate.)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

WHY I NEVER BOUGHT EVERCRACK
(and why i love JumpGate.)

I'd love to be involved in a Fantasy MMOG. If it was good enough (Tolkien's trilogy gave me high expectations. *g*)

The first books i ever read, that didn't have pictures in it, was Tolkien's "Lord of the Rings" (and i played 1st&2nd Edition AD&D when i was a kid. I loved DM'ing!)

I bought a "cheap" 486/66 laptop in 1994 and when the SP game ElderScrolls1 went in the bargain bin, i bought that and was drawn into it's depth like an addict until the bugs/limitations turned me off. (Daggerfall and Morrowwind i never got into...Same bugs and Gameplay/Content frustrations that turned me off the first)

It was around the time i stopped playing ElderScrolls1 that i found a copy of Privateer1 in another bargain bin...My god, did i love that game. (My only reason i stopped playing that was i couldn't play it anymore without yearning for Multiplayer...it was horrible. lol)

After i started making decent money IRL, i mostly preferred buying Sci-Fi RTS genre games (and playing them on my rich friends computer. hehe. ah, those were the days) Although Blizzard's game StarCraft was good enough to make me trust the company enough that i even bought Diablo1 (though after Diablo2's customer support idiocy i gave up on them.)
    After i got my hands on Diablo1, there was no turning back for me (i never played it's SP missions...just went straight for Multiplayer)

Ultima Online intrigued me, and i even got a taste of what it's like to be "griefed" by a PK-gang (DAMNED ARROW WAS A GUIDED MISSILE THAT FROZE!! LOL!) I never thought less of the pvpers...hey! it's only a game and i liked the risk factor. I guess all those PK/TK losers in Diablo1 had desensitized me. hehe...Fortunately, i didn't want to pay monthly, so i missed out on all the NERFING action. woulda made me cry. *g*
Real Time Strategy genre was where i was at around when EverCrack first came out, and EQ seemed at first glance to have everything i wanted in a MMOG; I mean, it didn't have eyecandy like Baldur's Gate, but it had FPS perspective and "cool" gameplay/content within a MMOG framework...I enjoyed watching a friend play it RIGHT UP TILL HE STARTED FIGHTING.
    FPS simulator action is hella fun, but FPS "rollplaying" is f*cking useless. Hell! any automated activity in a MMOG is taking away from my enjoyment
Though, I am drooling over NWN's new lease on life. Why is that?

Ahha! I know why i hate EQ and all the other FPS "rollplaying" MMOGs - It's because it was all rather pointless to not only have an automated combat/movement system, but to also have no Dynamic Real Content. (the ability to interact with an official plotline...you know, a STORY with continuity that's maintained by competent GMs)

That's why i can't wait for NWN
    Though if Themis Group does well at running the CS for JumpGate, then i'll continue my trend of buying into the Sci-Fi genre. hey! money talks!
Quote:
If that magazine [PCGamer] is continually receiving requests for coverage on a title (for example an MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about), they will cover it.
Scorch

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri May 24, 2002 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you know what? i love MMOGs because they're always being patched on a regular basis by the developers...even Verant patches *shocker*

Why do i subscribe to NetDevil and payout $10 (x2)? Because it's the only online privateer wannabe that's in release. (There's no other spacesim MMOG out there like JumpGate.)
    and by mmog i mean PERSISTENT UNIVERSE (sorry, Allegiance doesn't count)

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-05-24 10:43 ]
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love patches too. Why?

a) The devs are introducing content (yay!)
b) the devs are fixing bugs (that's nice)
c) the devs are sealing exploits (jerk players)

Patches, like they're done in EQ, are awesome. Every 1-2 weeks, a new bit of content, a few issues resolved, etc. It's the sign of a healthy, organically growing game.

JG's patches are rare and constipated. Yay.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat May 25, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmph. forget it, elfbabe. stop seducing me. nyaaa
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: