UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Perceived Blob Warfare problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zero0
Chief WO2
Chief WO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:02 pm    Post subject: Perceived Blob Warfare problem Reply with quote

I have been reading in the EvE Forums alot of whining about lag in big fleet battles. Very recently there was an incident involving a titan and a "unexpected solar event". Please note that the following comments have not been fully thought out, they are merely a reflex thought. The current war tactics in use are flawed, in fact i would not call them tactics myself. The way I understand it, the current..... "tactics" are the equivalent of those used in the Middle Ages. Horde A meets Horde B and whichever fleet survives wins. So, yes EvE may be broken in the area of fleet battles, but honestly, fleet commanders do not help the matter by engaging in this kind of warfare.

Thats it, rant over. rant
Zero0
Chief WO2
Chief WO2

PostPosted: Thu Jan 10, 2008 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, in defense of all the FC's that I just insulted, EvE does not have the factors that would allow a wide array of tactics. The solar systems in EvE are basically the equivalent of and empty field, no variations in the environment, this does not promote innovative thinking.

Back to my pint
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Jun 09, 2008 2:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the problem is one on a more fundamental level: both jumpgate and eve suffer from a huge problem, and yet one that is overlooked when trying to attract new customers: {a single ship's} [gear] slots (maximum)

Blob warfare is the corollary to keeping the number of slots low for what a single advanced player can field.

Imagine the picture if a titan could equip massive numbers of turrets? Imagine, if you will, if a carrier could launch many fighters? *shrug* since they can't, therefore the advantage falls to simple attrition warfare, naturally.

Actually, let's examine 'Attrition Warfare' and the answer to such from military strategists IRL (for if they can't supply an answer, who can?)
    well, okay, Einstein supplied it
Let's try Sun-Tzu. Googling with attrition i picked the 4th link
Adam Lowther wrote:
Unlike Western theorists, who have long seen attrition as a key aspect of warfare, Sun-tzu's emphasis on preservation, through asymmetric means, requires military commanders to act with a level of skill unnecessary in Western conflict. Where the Western military commander seeks to hone the skills of his men through repetitive drill and simplication of task, Sun-tzu seeks to move warfare to as much an intellectual activity as a physical one. This point is illustrated when he says, "[simulated] chaos is given birth from control; [feigned] weakness is given birth from strength. Order and disorder are a question of numbers; courage and fear are a question of strategic configuration of power; strength and weakness are a question of the deployment [of forces]," Sun-tzu concludes, "Thus one who excels at warfare seeks [victory] through the strategic configuration of power, not from reliance on men. Thus he is able to select men and employ strategic power"
That's why UMEC won against nazgul. Morale and a level of repartee that was above that which the trolls of nazgul could ever evolve to.
That is the secret to defeating any online group, whenever faced with the problem of attrition (blobbing;linear warfare)...For repartee, that isn't smacktalk, affects morale and is a form of deception (since the truth can be said so many different ways from many different angles, therefore lying smacktards, who believe that "truth" is boring, can't predict what will be said)
    although Sun-tzu warned against propaganda and making oneself a target
    Quote:
    The enemy is courageous and unafraid, arrogant and reckless. His soldiers are numerous and strong. What should we do?" Sun-tzu replied, "Speak and act submissively in order to accord with their intentions. Do not cause them to comprehend [the situation], and thereby increase their indolence. In accord with the enemy's shifts and changes, submerge [our forces] in ambush to await [the moment]. Then do not look at their forward motion nor look back to their rearward movement, but strike in the middle. Even though they are numerous, they can be taken. The Tao for attacking the arrogant is to not engage their advance front."
    Basically, don't try to outshout the smacktalkers, like GoonSwarm. Ask ourselves, what did we do when Nazgul attacked? How did they react? Remember how they acted so cowardly, despite their trollish rhetoric? hell, they even shut the hell up with that even...cause we responded not in kind...basically, if i remember correctly, they assumed we'd roll over or dissolve...they never expected us to bare our fangs, did they? nope.

For myself it was deconstruction. knowing myself is more important than anything because i believe society promotes narcissism and the misunderstanding of how leadership truly functions. For morale = leadership and i truly believe that. The ability to defend against a feeling of a dog-eat-dog world is paramount to people in leadership positions. otherwise it's just drama ad infinitum.
I'm joining ACE-- soon™ and will get a feel for FCs and a large corporate dynamic...not to mention get a feel for how "powerful" the hyenas of GoonSwarm really are.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: