UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

www.unknownplayer.com site luffs us!!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 23, 2001 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.unknownplayer.com/
Check them out...over the past 2 weeks they've pumped out current 3DO/ND news over the breakup. They've got a poll for best MMOG with JG as a selection, AND they just did an interview with Scorch that has not yet been published on their website.

weeeeeee
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 7:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJG announcement of the vote
We're in a race with another game and we've dropped to 33%, but still in the lead :smile: Too bad someone from EQ's gonna spot the vote and spam it with his carebear bum buddies sooner than later.

UnknownPlayer's interview with Scorch
Yeah! w00t! i wonder what scorch meant when he said
Quote:
However, the day to day events and stories will now all be developed by NetDevil and we plan to heavily rely on players and perhaps consultants to help us develop our universe.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Dec 24, 2001 12:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rasputin's website
Hmmmmmm...i wondered why this guy seemed familiar. looks to me like another of the LumTheMad's associates. (remember that Gbob came from LumTheMad's mouseketeer club as well)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 11, 2002 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.unknownplayer.com/archive/02/01/10/237.php
Rasputin's take on the developing situation. I posted a very decent blurb in layman's terms telling anyone who gives a damn what's going down at this moment regarding the new patch in the works.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 22, 2002 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

UnknownPlayer is hosting a devchat
And no Gbob anywhere. hehehe
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 24, 2002 5:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Off Topic

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-01-26 00:41 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jan 26, 2002 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"...We are thinking of adding pirating tools to the game in the future which would probably include cargo scanners or modx that will steal cargo..."

"...Soon we will be starting a thread at [PlanetJumpgate.com] and forums.netdevil.com to discuss ideas about the Player Owned Stations and what the players think would be best..."

"...Capital ships...blah blah"

"...We have just recently inked a deal with a company to help provide GMs. We should be announcing a deal in the next few days. They are going to be working with some existing vets as well, but the details have not been ironed out as of yet..."

"...We have increased [the] mining rate in [proportion to] the the velocity of your ship while you mine. You can mine at almost 2x if you are moving (since version 36 I think)..."
And lots more, see here: http://www.unknownplayer.com/archive/02/01/25/279.php
The complete log can be found here:
http://planetjumpgate.net/article/107

and this one if you're interested in the rumors around that GM company:
http://www.unknownplayer.com/archive/02/01/26/280.php

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-01-27 09:27 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 31, 2002 7:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jumpgate Q&A with Daniel 'Savant' Manchi of the Themis Group
Mr.Psychic meets Mr.Psycho
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 06, 2002 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer Chat: Interest and Events
Fun stuff...it's a mad bunch, that's fer sure (plus it's got "lumthemad" too prove it)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2002 3:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, UnknownPlayer hosted another 'Dev Navel Gazing' session. this time about the fees for a mmog...Now, don't get me wrong. normally i would have ignored the whole BS going on, except that Rickhunter from SMP squad has some pretty darned interesting things to say about the broo ha ha.
PJG article comment #20
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 27, 2002 4:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer Chat: PvP stuff
Well, GM_Savant didn't pull any punches...right off the bat you get this gem:
Quote:
[UnknownPlayer] Our topic is: Player vs. Player Combat: What can be done to make PVP more enjoyable and integrated in a game. How can you offer meaningful PVP and still cater to the people who hate PVP?
[Savant] To be perfectly honest with you, you can't. It's impossible to cater to the two sides of the spectrum, simply because their views are so vastly different. It's about the equivalent of asking for a bi-partisan congress. :smile:
Course, he falls flat on his face with his next reply that's more gobbledeegook than anything of substance. (seems to shed light on his reluctance to do more than "spin" things)

Oh! oh shit :sad: Looks like "Savant" is getting an earful from "The RoyofCA manual on PvP"...sigh
Quote:
[Savant] A true pvp game is one where it's open PvP and Player Justice does exist.

And you wonder why he's reluctant to do more than "spin" things. lol! pffft OOOOOO!!! LumTheMad comes back with a retort:
Quote:
[Lum_] The problem with Player Justice is that it isn't always very fun. Who wants to be a cop? Cops in real life can tell you it's not all girlies and beer.

took them awhile, but they finally started chatting for real:
Quote:
[Vosx] Capt mentioned grief players - this is the worst curse of the PvP player
[Lum_] It is.
[Vosx] even hardcore Pvp'ers can't stand the griefing kiddies
[Lum_] In many ways, Pvp'ers can be their own worst enemy.
[Vosx] If we can keep it about competition, and hopefully of equals, and in an competitive but not personal environment, then more ppl can participate with out all the emotional backlash
[Lum_] Problem is, to many people PvP *IS* grief play.

coming to their conclusions:
Quote:
[Lum_] So are we ever going to see games like EQ again where the core game completely rejects PvP as a gameplay element?
[Vosx] I don't know. There may always be a market in that direction.
[Vosx] But as more and more people become MMO savvy, I think they will need more of an emotional response from a Virtual world, and games mean fun, excitement, passion, and adventure - just like a good book does!
* UnknownPlayer nods
[Lum_] But does that automatically mean fighting other humans. That's the question.
[CaptSturm] I don't think so-a very deep environment could make a neat exploration game.
[Lum_] I mean, it does for me, but that's because I'm primitive and neanderthalish.
[Vosx] I think so, because even the newest player can easily learn how to overcome an AI system. And an AI system that advanced to outwit a human opponent isn't really viable or cost effective yet

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-02-26 22:54 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 09, 2002 5:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Developer Chat: Priority Issues
"What are the most critical features to an MMOG?"
DYNAMIC REAL CONTENT? Yup. Looks that way, let's see how they interpret that...
Quote:
{Quisp} How can future MMOGs make players feel like they are actually affecting the universe that they are playing in?

{Lum_} Letting players change the universe is risky. You're putting your baby in the hands of other people - your customers. For people who invest, literally, their lives into making these games, it's a hard transition to make.
{GamerGal} The first key is for designers and developers to stop designing games for themselves and realize that players need more control.
{GamerGal} UO was a good first step in that direction, and DAoC's RvR is also...
{Ashen_Temper} We didnít just want to build a game; we wanted to build a living simulation. Shadowbane is dynamic, breathing model of a feudal society -- with all the cooperative and competitive implications thereof. We believe that this will create the ultimate roleplaying experience, and that the opportunities for human interaction brought about by such a flexible environment will far surpass what one might come to expect from a more static, repetitive
{GamerGal} but players need more control over the total environment, not just their character and house.
shameless self-promotion going on in the "light-hearted irc *emoticon* sort of way"...but a rose by any other name is still a rose (hope some of them snap out of it soon...it's getting OLD. FAST.) especially this fuckhead AshenTemper, instead of finishing his rather nice monologue he starts getting bitchy with GamerGal. idiot. talk to US, not to your freakin Ego. moron. ewwwwwwwwwwwwww kay...
Quote:
{Lum_} There's problems with letting players have that much control, though. It's not an unlimited panacea. What if you hand over the keys to the kingdom to, say, someone who actively wants to destroy your world?
{Lum_} But the nature of massively multiplayer games is that people DO affect others, otherwise it's a pointless exercise in massively multiplayer solitaire.
Wonderful speaker, eh? too bad he never completes his concepts and just sits there being melodramatic. lol. grrrrrr. "{Lum_} making games is HARD. Let's go shopping!" (pretty much pulling teeth, but they're human and not gods)

The host at this point chooses another question to bring things back towards community involvement
Quote:
{hellpig} Do you think one of the most important thing in a MMOG is the community and the sense of belonging to one?

{Savant} Absolutely. Without a doubt, it's the community that can make or break your game in a lot of ways. You can have the best feature set, but if your game is full of griefers, players will be driven off. But you can have an average game where the players help and nurture (did I just say nurture?) newbies, and you can have a great head count
{GamerGal} "They come for the game, but stay for the socialization."
{Lum_} But, again, people only invest hatred into things that are important to them
Basically, on one hand there's the 'Game Content/Gameplay (achiever types)', on the other extreme is the 'Griefer (killer types)'...in the middle are the socializers and the explorers...what is crucial is the fact that even griefers like the socialization of their elitist prick peers. lol. (though i might be shoving words into their mouths...har har)
    *Muffy happily shoves words in EVERYONE'S mouths*
After that it dissolves into GamePlay/Content stuff like "User Interface", "creative writing skills", "player power"...oh god. some loser let Imperius ask a really firkin dumbass question (somebody shoot the lame horse)

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

whoa! they have a sweet panel advertising jumpgate!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 25, 2002 10:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JumpGate2 announcement
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: