UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

posting now restricted to registered usersq

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 25, 2006 2:49 pm    Post subject: posting now restricted to registered usersq Reply with quote

it seems noone has ever felt the desire to post here as a guest other than to spam.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2006 1:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

god damnit. it's nice to see i don't have to waste my time here anymore, deleting spam on a daily basis.

i'm sad noone ever took advantage of the 'non-registration' ability to comment here...i don't know about you, but i always hated having to go through ANY hoops just to add a comment...seems noone shared my proclivity
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2006 3:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i've just instituted admin level authorization for registration. Spammers have always attempted to place website linking stuff to auto registrations.

The admin email is to my active email at home which is tied to my MSN. I check it at least twice daily so the delay will be minimal.

I know this is a total switch from the way it's been. Mainly because 99% of the people who took advantage of the open public nature of unregistered forums were spammers. Unavoidable, yes, i just thought the percentage would be much less. Like say 95%. heh.

to compensate i think i'll add a new forum for guest entries. that'll make it super easy to moderate out all the spam. yeah.

except i gotta head to work. *poof*
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2006 3:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lowered the activation key from admin to user level. The previous attempt using 'admin' failed to do what i hoped it would: prevent spammers from adding their spam message to the memberlist.

not to mention a few of you even LOOKED like spammers at first glance. lol
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Mar 29, 2006 8:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, now the memberlist is chock full of spammers registering their websites. wish i could get motivated to set up a better filter to stop that shit.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Website/Forum Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: