UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

PvE 101; Bounty Hunting (rats)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:37 am    Post subject: PvE 101; Bounty Hunting (rats) Reply with quote

Now, just to remind everyone, this is about hunting NPC pirates, not player rats (that's PvP)

COMPLEXES
Vicker Lahn'se wrote:
1/10 = frigates
2/10 = frigates and destroyers
3/10 = frigates destroyers and cruisers
4/10 = frigates destroyers cruisers and battle cruisers
5/10 and above = everything

I'm not sure if these rules apply to tech2 frigates/cruisers, but I'm pretty sure they do. I'm not sure which ones let in industrials. 3/10 will let in tech2 indy, but not tech1.

Official Exodus Feature Spiel (crap lot of fluff and that's it)
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 2:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eve-I forum wrote:
I did a 4/10 by myself in a Maller (cos I couldn't bring in a Prophecy) and found the easiest way to deal with a stack of (missile capable?!?!) rax's is to fly away and leet them chase you. One by one they lose interest and turn around, still firing tho. (already popped the frigs in range by this time) Then I turned around and headed back and popped the closest rax. He turned back to me as soon as I shot at him. Worked my way back to the complex picking off the rax's one at a time.

Then agged the rest of them and repeated the process. Went to the 2nd level and saw the 2M5 'thron but it was DT and tbh I was glad I dunno if I would have taken him on... Something I noticed was that you can blow up all the structures (walls etc) at the complex!! I took a punisha out to a 1/10, shot up all the rats and SB'd the complex - the noise was amazing... (click the pic to see the full size)
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Complex Database
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Mon Feb 21, 2005 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zunami wrote:
This little guide is for noobs who played about 3-5 days and have collected some ISK (by mining) and want to become a

(little) NPC BOUNTY HUNTER.

Advantages:

* you learn the basics of fighting
* it's more thrilling than mining
* you get to know ship equipment
* you have to enter the market (selling your loot)
* you have a moderate noob income (2-4 mio ISK a week)
* you increase your security level (slightly)

Disadvantages:

* joining a corp and group mining is more profitable
* you risk to get killed

Before warping to an asteroid belt where the pirates hang out, you have to prepare your ship and learn some skills. That should take about 1-2 days.

I don't want to recommend a certain ship. Choose one that is faster than 250 m/s (or install an overdrive), has a cargo capacity between 100 - 200 (to hold the loot) and can carry turrets and launchers. Target range should be about 20000 - 30000 m.

Learn the skills GUNNERY and one SMALL ... TURRET. Choose these skills depending on the available weapons and there costs. Try to get long ranged, about 10000 m.

Learn the skill MISSILE LAUNCHER OPERATION and STANDARD MISSILES. Buy a standard missile launcher (or more) and fit it with SABRETOOTH (best against shield) missiles. Buy PIRANHA (best against armor/hull) missiles, too. Both mounts of 150 pieces should be enough for your first run. With 3-4 launcher hardpoints on your ship, gun-turrets are not necessary.

Load missiles and your turret charges for reload into your ship. Now you are ready for your first fight. But where to go?

Open your map and search your region about 0.8 and 0.7 systems. By studying the info of each system, find one that has more than 8 asteroid belts. The more the better, because other pirate hunters will then spread over the system. Jump to the system of your choice.

Now you have to adjust your scanner (the built-in in the upper right corner of your HUD). Add the columns distance, size and speed. Sort by distance. Remove all non-combat items like ore (eg. scordite) from your selection and save your selection. The column size is for "fast" pirate identification.

The Run-Away-Method:
Select one asteroid belt and warp to it, but not too close. You could end up in a bunch of pirates. You will find out the right distance by time. Note that not each asteroid belt is filled with pirates. If 'empty' it's possible that they will respawn, soon. Don't fight close to asteroids - they complicate your navigation. Select the nearest pirate and approach. At a distance of 25km make a u-turn and adjust your speed to the foe's one. Hold your distance. Priates with a bounty up to 4000 ISK are easy to kill. One SABRETOOTH and one PIRIANHA should be enough. If you blow them with turrets, you have to reduce the distance. After killing some, you will know what's best and you will know the fireing range of the foe. The max range of a light missile is 25km, but if the pirates follow you, the range will be increased by the distance they fly in 25 seconds.

When all pirates are vaporized it's loot time. Approach one cargo container and open your cargohold. At a distance of 1800m approach the next but open the first cargo container. While flying over drag-n-drop the loot. This maneuver prevents the ship form stopping. The 'loot-window' is between 1500m and -1500m - you will learn to be quick.

When 0.7 priates are boring to you, go to systems with lower sec levels. The bounty will grow, but there will be a new danger. The priates get faster. Some of them can fly up to 1500 m/s fast. Then they catch and roast you. Learn HIGH SPEED MANEUVERING and get a mirco warpdrive. Big pirates like the CHIEF's with bounties greater then 55k are hard to kill with small or light weapons, but it's possible. Or upgrade your ship. Buy a cruiser (you have to learn new skills) and bigger weapons; depends on the size of your wallet.
The bad thing on the Run-Away-Method on high level pirates is: If the priates are too far away from the asteroid belt they ignore you and return. When you reduced their shields, it will be recharged when faceing them again.

Be careful of human players in 0.5 systems or below. They could be BOUNTY HUNTERS, but with no interest on NPC pirates ...

One hint on selling your loot. Collect same types of items and sell them by placing a sell order, if it's more efficient than quicksell. Find out yourself by studying the market. Sell only in systems with 'high traffic', 1.0/0.9 sec level and 1-3 space stations. Your clients are noobs and they don't buy at 0.5
systems.

Sometimes you will find a ship's log within your loot. At the described places you will meet a lot of pirates. It's the same fighting as within the asteroids. But be careful
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Thu Mar 10, 2005 1:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lygos wrote:
Depends on what you are fighting really. And how you like to fight. If you don't like getting hit by missiles, don't adopt caldari agents that send you up agaisnt guristas for example. All the technology of the ethnicities is fairly balanced though it is generally specialized to particular tasks. Go through ALL the stickies on every forum on the board because there is a mountain of literature for you to peruse.

To give an incredibly brief overview: Caldari have the best shields and generally shield tank, thus they are great against explosive damage especially right out of the gate. Both Caldari and Gallenteans have the most mixed and non-specific approach to combat in that they generally use the widest variety of weapons from long range rails to short range blasters, missiles and drones and EW. Minmatari are the kings of speed in the beginning but I don't have much knowledge of the novice Minmatari experience. Everything about minmatar equipment is highly specialized. Most extreme tracking or most extreme range but rarely both without assistance. There is no middle ground for them. Amarr ships armor tank and repair well but their weapons are straitforward energy and thermal based. Their frigs like to slug it out up close and personal. Anything else they use initially is generally just a sideshow. Since you'll be using frigs, aim for the 3rd tier of whatever group you like and grab a stasis webber for any setup that kills within 10km. Any random thing you throw on there is probably going to work for most any prey in any belt outside of 0.0 or from a level 2 agent on down. One thing to remember is that all the weapons work and they all do something. They key is to know when they are going to work. You'll learn as you go.

Just knowing that it that most of what you run into initially can be killed with whatever you have on hand is generally enough to inspire you to get through it initially. Have a plan to get out of a tight situation and then quit worrying about it. Get in there, set your orbit under your optimals (R click->set) and start paying attention to what the enemy doesn't like. (Ex. Guristas only do kinetic and thermal damage as a rule. Tank for it.) Before you know it you'll be dishing out advice to others.
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Mon Mar 14, 2005 9:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Caldorous wrote:
Kayser wrote:
Complexes are currently configured like this.

1/10 Frigs can enter.
2/10 Frigs and Destroyers can enter.
3/10 Frigs, Destroyers and Cruisers can enter.
4/10 Frigs, Destroyers, Cruisers and Battlecruisers can enter.
5/10 and above Frigs, Destroyers, Cruisers, Battlecruisers and Battleships can enter.

a 4/10 is doable solo in a cruiser if your carefull.

The lvl 3's can also be entered with a indy.

this contradicts a few things in the first post in this thread.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Mar 15, 2005 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHAIN SPAWNING
Rod Blaine wrote:
Yes, but it only works with large spawns and take alot more time then it used to.

Also, the spawns will not go up in respawn rate like they used to, e.g. respawn every minute down to every few seconds, unless you use a certain trick someone told me there is, but which undoubtedly would be classed an exploit now since ccp explicitly nerfed the respawn rate to kill chaining last may.

Anyway, the best way to go about it now (and legal too), is too take a system with alot of belts, take all the crap spawns and kill them off to be replaced with new ones, take all the good ones and kill them but leaving one alive. Go do rounds of all the belts this way for a long time and in time every belt will have a good (respawning) spawn and all the crap ones are gone.

It's better named NPC farming then chaining tbh.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sat Apr 30, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hydroponica wrote:
I'm not quite sure I understand the quiestion, but maybe this will help a bit.
Here's what I know. in 0.0, my favorite thing to do is chain a spawn. Find 2 750K bounty rats and his (we'll say 4) little cruiser buddies, kill both Bs's and 3 of the 4 cruisers. Let the last cruiser beat on you. After bout 20 mins or so, the 2 bs's and rest of the cruisers should spawn back. kill them again leaving the 1 cruiser alive. I've noticed that after this 1st respawn, it starts to get sporatic with the respawning. Ussually what happens though, is 1 BS will spawn, then a couple minutes after you kill this new BS, both BS's and his cruisers will spawn back. I do this for hours, money's alright, loot is awesome, and your always garrenteed that those bs's will spawn back exactly the same, as long as you there. Well, almost, sometimes the spawn will just disapear and die off completely, or I've even seen then spawn get replaced instantly by a different spawn, but most often, it just keeps respawning the same rats, over and ovewr again.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu May 12, 2005 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

NPC pirate data program
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 11:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Alex Harumichi wrote:
Ombey wrote:
I have been using a Medium Nos against NPCs, and I am not convinced I am getting any cap back. It's hard to monitor...and I wonder if my cap charge *seems* to be better or whether it's just the placebo effect...So, does a Nos work against NPCs?

each npc has a fixed amount and they do not use it, so you cannot disable npcs this way. However, nosfes are still useful against npcs, I use them all the time myself. Even though you won't hurt the npcs, that stolen cap will help you keep your systems running, and if you switch nosfe targets every time you destroy a ship (to the next target, for example), you won't be "sucking on empty" all that much.

Turrets or launchers will be more useful, of course, but if you have an "extra" high slot and intend to fight close-range, by all means fit a nosfe. It can be a huge help sometimes.

As an example: NPC ships has something in the ballpark of 100 to 400 cap stored (quick impression based on ship database). A med nosfe sucks anything from 30 to 36 per 6 secs (tech1 - tech2). So if an npc has, say, 200 cap, that means that you can get cap from him with a tech2 medium nosfe for about half a minute, 40 secs for a tech1 nosfe. In half a minute, most smaller ships will be dead and you can switch to the next one.

With a small nosfe, you'll be able to gain from a nosfe for a much longer time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: