UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Drones

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

1st attempt
hmmmm...this whole drone attack ordering is bugging me. They seem to be autonomous, but in an entirely counter-intuitive way. It seeeems to be that if i have a threat locked and highlighted and i launch my drones while in range they WON'T attack (just orbit like they would if i'd launched them outside their range) unless i order an attack...then they become super smart and attack any threat no matter if i've locked targets or not.

What i've noticed is that if i launch drones while threats are in range of them, they go nuts -- only if i don't have a single thing i've locked highlighted. very wierd.

i'll do more testing just to be sure of this hypothesis (empirical evidence is my eyes, but in the heat of battle it gets confused)2nd attempt:
i don't get it. my next test i took my time and tried a whole bunch of techniques to get them to attack by default but no joy...but, i've seen it happen before. argh

3rd attempt
ah. now i understand. it's not who's targetted, highlighted or whatnot. it's simply the fact the only way drones autonomously decide to go berzerk is when you're hit while they're orbiting.

4th attempt
huh? is this thing bugged? i got no response when i launched drones while i'm being hit and waited for them to react to the next shot. I'm starting to think the only way the buggers will auto-attack is if they're the ones targetted...it makes absolutely no sense because all the variables change alla time.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Oct 31, 2004 10:04 pm    Post subject: OBSOLETE Reply with quote

after a while doing combat missions i've finally gotten enough experience to know what sequence i go through. Webifiers, Drones, Armour Repair are key.

Initial warp-in stage

Step two (don't bother using scanner to target...good old eyeballing)

Step three (got to love the "select all" function...and they'll stay selected)

Step four (sometimes you don't need to approach at all)

Step five (sometimes they attack on their own...hard to tell)

Step six (webifier time)

Step seven (repair armour time)

Step eight (retrieve drones - they won't go poof if you warp out tho)

Step nine (targeting multiple containers is convenient)

Last edited by Heretic on Mon Dec 27, 2004 12:05 pm; edited 1 time in total
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 9:33 am    Post subject: Fraps Reply with quote

Dude, you need to dowload fraps and start making video's :P
Dominatrix

PostPosted: Sat Jan 22, 2005 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=130892
drones and more drones
Dominatrix

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:58 am    Post subject: more drones Reply with quote

http://myeve.eve-online.com/ingameboard.asp?a=topic&threadID=145845
picture tutorials on drones

couple of folks wrote:
drones only uto attack if they are in space BEFORE you are hit if you deploy them after they just float about like the mindless droids they are.

If you order them to attack they will move onto any other viable targets after the first is delt with.

ur base drone control is 20km, with lvl u get 25, lvl2 u get 30 etc etc. with lvl5 u can control at 45km. If ur drones have already engaged a target and he moves out of control range the drones will chase him. If they kill him and theres another target out of range they WONT attack the new target and will return.

Basically the target has to be within control range to engage, not to kill
Dominatrix™

PostPosted: Mon Feb 07, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Elroy Cruise wrote:
Since the addition of MWD to drones and tactical command, heavies aren't the be-all end-all of drone warfare anymore.
In fact, I see more benefit in pumping up early the 'scout drone' skill to 4-5 than training heavy drones to high levels, as 'heavy drones' boosts only this class of drones, while extra command range affects all drones and is useful in more than one way.

Since drones groups are now much easier to manage, the best setups usually involve mixed groups.
I always carry some light/meds as they get first on target and are good dodgers due to their sig and speed.
If nothing else,they help your heavier drones survive longer and deal their damage more safely, which can make a big difference if you don't dock to refit/repair after each fight.

Another plus of lights/mediums, also linked to their velocity is that you can set mixed groups with the lighter drones dealing anti-shield (typically EM) damage, and the heavier and slower ones selected to deal the most damage to armor.
As the lighter ones will be first on target, they'll have ruined its shields by the time the bigger ones get there if your group is properly balanced.

If you're taking on swarms of opponents that are all inside your drone command sphere, your mixed group will move on to next target by itself, with lights coming always first to ruin shields and deflect enemy fire from your heavy damage dealers.

As a side note,remote armor repairers work on drones
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: