UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Roleplay

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 06, 2005 6:52 am    Post subject: Roleplay Reply with quote

Dau Imperius wrote:
Unfortunetly, in this game RP usually consists of PvP, then writing about it. PIE for instance, for all its great RPers, would have probably fallen silent like many that started out, if not for the fact they engage the Minmatar groups and vice versa. Maybe they could get by with the writing, but half these players wouldn't give them any respect if they didn't fight? *shrugs* It's a strange mindset really.

Other then that you are free to start up an RP corp if you wish or join one of the existing ones, but they are pretty much, 'fight the enemy', ones (for the most part). Usually Minmatar 'freedom' groups of Amarr loyalists, and even a pirate one. (Venal Rangers) I think there might be a few who like to RP some, and are more economically driven, but they are getting rarer.
I'd love to see more out there that can survive and not be worrying about how many kills they have however, and actually last longer then a few months because people get bored or something.
Going off on a tangent here, but RP in EVE is no better then anywhere else unfortunetly. It's what you're able to make of it...

Well that is something, I've been wondering myself. I'd love to see the level of RP PIE gives out from their PvP...without the PvP.

Honestly...if you know someone with goodwebsite skills, and want to make a corp that does all the things PIE does without the PvP emphasis, do it...I'd join in a hearbeat. But unfortunetly I'm probably one of the few who would maybe?

However, I'd first make a post in the corp recruiting area and say what it is you are looking for in a corp as close as you can. Might get lucky and maybe there's an upstart RP one with PIEish goals and structure, but less fighting and more economics. I haven't found one yet though.

I wil also say, give PIE a try if all else fails, if you can stand PvP. They don't RP much when in corp chat keeping ti all OOC, but give great public appreances in-character. Gotta give them the applause for trying to keep RP alive in EVE, even if it is for different reasons.
Riddari wrote:
Jericho Fraction is a very active roleplaying corp, it's freelance based, check out their forums.

PIE do a lot of non-pvp roleplaying. Just look at the sermons and the Amarrian Justices on the Intergalactic summit. Also check out their website where they have lots of stories, many related to PVP but still, it's in the Chronicles section.

There are also a few other Amarr roleplaying corporations, some of which are Amarr only (and members of CVA alliance) and others that are mixed race and not members of CVA.

There is rather more than 4 corporations out there doing roleplay. They are just in very different sections, some are in the Amarr-Minmatar struggle, others in Gallente-Caldari and then there are others that are in a different realm.

Last edited by Heretic on Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:33 am; edited 1 time in total
Bhurak
Command Staff
Command Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jan 07, 2005 6:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

don't get me started on this.

B
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:25 am    Post subject: Long winded, but ultimately satisfying, lecture Reply with quote

Carmen Priano wrote:
One thing to remember is that all of the organizations presenting themselves here are naturally presenting themselves from an internal viewpoint, and presenting others from an external one. It's important to note that -both- are valid, and so all comments need to be taken together. Remember, also, that it's not just a matter of who plays how much or how varied -- but who has the philosophy that you would find most entertaining to play for an extended period.

Amarr; The CVA, for instance, is principally a military organization defending the Amarr Empire -- the internal view is of the organization as the glorious defender of the true Faith and Empire, while the Minmatar perspective is that these are a vile and tyrannical sort who wrongly enslave their people. Principally Amarr-only, the various auxiliary corps also recruit converts to the Faith. Notably variations from the theme come from the Abolition Party of Amarr, or else possibly from the few Khanid roleplayers there are. The Blood Raider roleplayers (Demons of Oyanata, I believe) play the immortality cult angle.

Minmatar; principally, this is of a tribal military group the Ushra'Khan -- to the Minmatar, these are the valiant, rag-tag rebels against a great beast, or else possibly Republican citizen-soldiers... of course, the Amarrian perspective is that these are dirty escaped slaves who ought be returned to servitude lest their souls never be saved. The possible variation is an Ammatar player or corporation (not that I'm familiar with many), who the Minmatar would regard as collaborators or the Ammar would regard either as loyal slaves, true converts deserving of respect, or.. well, something.

Gallente; I can't think of any Gallente nationalist corporations, though Jericho Fraction essentially fits the mark. Yes, yes -- I know, JF's not nationalist -- it's post-nationalist, post-human, radically free.. all the rest of that. Contrary to what JF members are saying, their doctrine is really quite straight-forward: pod pilots are radically free, and so an anarchistic or entirely egalitarian society is the way to go. If you wanted to make a modern comparison, radical libertarianism without the capitalist streak would probably be the best way about it. From the Caldari philosophical viewpoint (educated by loyalty, duty and work-ethic), this'd seem a pointless, shallow existance. To outsiders, JF seems to have a strong run of sexual deviancy and lots of entertaining people. Notable variations on the Gallente theme -- Intaki separatists have some play, but not much; also, Gallente society allows for all sorts of fun underworld play -- smugglers, illegal entertainment, that sort of thing. Given that the backstory has its basis in a modern social-progressive tradition, it's up to debate what would be legal or illegal, socially acceptable or unacceptable. See the debate over cranial microtransceivers (or whatnot) and Gallente use of those for the idea.

Caldari; from the backstory, Caldari philosophy is a combination of early-modern state nationalism and Japanese-style loyalty and social repression. Play -- from Drink Starsi, Omerta Syndicate, and other quieter corporations (Caldari Independent Navy Reserve and Kuroi Yojimbo, and I think others yet) -- centers around loyalty and service to the state, with a strong profit motive and desire for efficiency. To, say, a Gallente, this looks like a shallow and pointless existance (sound familiar?), on the edge of slavery. Amarr, by contrast, may think well of the ethic but poorly of its aim -- Konstantin Mort, I believe it was, wrote that Caldari 'worship a dead god,' while another earlier in this thread said that the Caldari are a step away from being of the True Faithful or whatnot. While the central idea is service to the whole body politic, there is a recurring theme of possible corruption -- never said to be endemic, but recurring all the same. The counterpoint to the loyal citizen, then, is the dissenter -- someone who believes the system is indeed corrupt and must be brought tumbling down. Further counterpoints may be the reformer (\o.) -- one who believes that the ideals of the State are worthy and can be (should be) saved. And, of course, one can always try to play the corrupt Caldari motivated only by greed or power, bending the mechanisms of the State and the loyalty of the citizen for his own benefit.

And, as always, there are the pirate groups -- Guristas, Serpentis, Sanshas, Angels.. these are harder to play as without being in an alliance, given the control-of-territory problem.

And, uh. Hopefully I don't offend everyone with my attempt to summarize some of the options available to players. [)]
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 11:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

chin
Personally, my take on the whole RP thing is that PvP is intertwinned with roleplaying at it's core. Now, having said that, there's more ways to PvP than around the barrel of a gun. The very concept of a MMOG is community and - if we're mature enough to get away from the teenage cliqueish mentality - community implies pvp, philosophically speaking.
    i've actually wrote up a thesis on why roleplaying has more in common with the pvp crowd, and that was based on a critique of Bartle's Types
So, i'm assuming there's not much room for roleplaying in any mmog that doesn't involve some level of 'feedback' - In the community sense of pvp, not the purist 'pvp' throttle jockey attitude, but not excluding it entirely either. (laissez-faire competition)
    ie. The difference between scripted events/storyarcs and actual freestyle roleplay. I think both are two sides of one coin: You have the PLAN stage, and then you have the ACTING stage.
Until the corporation actually attracts the critical mass of members, then any roleplaying i'll be concocting will be pure 'backstory'...I do have some inspirations from eve and elsewhere.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Feb 14, 2005 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

CHRONICLES
i hated reading ALLL the official stories to find the best, amarr oriented ones...it was bewildering and i didn't really want to know all that much about the game's fluff. All i wanted were the stories that helped flesh out the backstory for me.

I've finally worked up an ingame compatible list of amarr chronicles starting with what i consider the most important and working to the right and down to the least important.

Enjoy reading while inflight...adds to the immersion.

Ordo Ministorum's Stories section (backup)
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Thu Aug 11, 2005 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

roleplaying corporations
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: