UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

What is jet-can mining?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Jan 04, 2005 9:19 pm    Post subject: What is jet-can mining? Reply with quote

Hackett wrote:
pshepherd wrote:
Jared Kraste wrote:
Jin Entres wrote:
Jared Kraste wrote:
I only started a few days ago. Just got myself a Bestower and a basic mining laser and I've spent the past day or two sat in 'roid fields. I mine until my hold is full, which usually takes a good half an hour, warp back to the station and sell. Then back to the 'roid field for another half an hour.

However I see a lot of messages on the boards referring to "jet can mining" - what is that?
Hello, Jared.

When any item is jettisoned from your cargo hold, it is put into a 'jet can' that will float in space. These cans can hold 30,000 m3 which is a lot more than any ship's cargo hold. Thus, 'jet can mining' is mining and then moving all ore into a jet can and then picking it up with a 'hauler', an industrial ship that has larger cargo hold than regular ships.
Wouldn't it be easier just to mine with the industrial ship though? I'm probably missing something! ]
industrial ships can only use one mining laser at a time. whereas a cruiser can use 3-5
U should be aware however that if you mine into a jet-can then someone can simply stroll up in an indy and steal it. If you are doing it by yourself then I would recommend using secure containers.
  • secure cans can't hold nearly as much as a jet can which can hold 10 times the amount of the largest secure container
  • secure cans can't be "locked" unless you 'anchor' them (skill) in a system of less than 0.9 security rating...otherwise the password isn't enabled
  • A better use for Giant/Huge containers is to put them in your industrial for extra space for ore while hauling
Also, jet-cans last only TWO hours. I've only had an ore thief steal from me once. that was in a highly trafficked system and i had bookmarks so the silly idiot couldn't haul faster than i could. hehe
JetCannery

PostPosted: Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:35 am    Post subject: poofing Reply with quote

done some extensive testing and can popping happens regular like clockwork (+/- 5 minutes for server and human fudging)...you CANNOT extend the lifetime of a jetcan by renaming it, adding new ore/gear/bunnies, nor sacrificing n00bs.

do not trust forum rumors about cans lasting hours and hours. I simply do not believe that to be anything but coincidence and urban myth-making, or very very old patch rememberances.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Mar 07, 2005 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

do note that we are talking about the cargo container that appears when you jettison cargo that isn't an actual 'cargo container' from your cargo bay.

if you actually jettison a REAL cargo container i've found it lasts for DAYS. (0.7 system, simple jettison of my ammo bay secure cargo container)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: