UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Specialized characters: combat versus industry

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:06 am    Post subject: Specialized characters: combat versus industry Reply with quote

okay, creating a character is most important. for combat you need perception; for industry related you need intelligence. so which race do you pick?

Combat i'd choose gallente; Industry and jack-of-all trades i'd pick Minmatar

Attributes.
Primary add alot; Secondary only adds half that...adds up though. Combat i'd go Per+3/Wil+2; Industry i'd go Int+3/Mem+2; jackofalltrades would get Int+3/Per+2

Ancestry
looking at racial ancestry using a process of elimination (looking for characters with low charisma/willpower, then looking for highest int/per)
    below are stats without the pool of 5 attribute points adjusted
COMBAT

(if you wanted another race you could pick Amarr/ni-kunni border runner)

INDUSTRY

(if you wanted another race you could pick Amarr/Deteis scientist)

JACK-OF-ALL-TRADES

if you want to snoop around yourself, here's the thread with all the ancestry stuff:
http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1991

CAREER
Next on the agenda is career. I would severely suggest you take the school on the far left and invest in piloting so you get captaincy specialization. nothing beats being able to fly the best frigates and being a hop skip and jump away from cruiser/industrial skill requirements.

Seirkanis wrote:
I'm brand spanking new (day 1 basically), but noticed something that might be useful on character creation. (If I misinterpreted this or it's a bad idea, please correct me.)

If you create a character like I did at first, with a good arrangement of skills, you'll have a lot of low-level skills. This will save you the trouble of buying the things, and will save you some ISK.

If you create a character like I did second when I was playing around with character creation, you can have a few high level skills. (I started with Starship Command 3 and Frigate Level 4, I think.) Apparently, each duplicate skill that you get from a character creation choice increases the level by one. So if you do something that picks frigate 4 times, you'll start with Frigate 4. The obvious problem is that now you have to go buy the additional skills.

I think you still come out WAY ahead with the second option. I mean, my first character had something like 10,000 skill points. The second had over 100,000 and I had to upgrade my clone right out of the gate.

Last edited by Heretic on Thu Aug 11, 2005 10:30 am; edited 2 times in total
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Nov 25, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TRAINING
okay, so your bored of the tutorial. already completed it and have 333 units of veldspar all ready to refine at your home base. That friendly agent wants to talk with you.

First off, your ship moves like a freakin slug. You need cash. You need gear, especially a ship to stuff in.

I've debated long and hard with myself whether it's worth investing time into hull upgrades like Nanofibers, Cargo expanders and Overdrive Injectors...all affect your speed. speed kills. that shiny 1mn afterburner doesn't take that much power anyways.

So let's ignore baadf00d's seductive crooning about microwarpdrive. the training time is much to long for that. besides, it slaughters your shield and capacitor. I'd rather stick to teaching n00bs how to set up bookmarks for mining like crazy, or concentrating on how to slug it out with the bad boys.

GEAR
It's an important thing to do, training. It's overwhelming the amount of gear on the market. let's try to narrow it down to what you CAN and should use as a n00b:

the above is the basic stuff. below is the tech1 stuff

Small Armour Repairer I
Small Hull Repairer I

Expanded Cargohold I
Nanofiber Internal Structure I
Overdrive Injector System I

1MN Afterburner I (10mn)

Capacitor Power Relay I
Power Diagnostic System I
Reactor Control Unit I
Shield Flux Coil I
Shield Power Relay
Cap Recharger I

Micro Capacitor Battery I (small)
Micro Capacitor Booster I (small)

Micro Shield Extender I (small)
No record of shield boosters

Warrior I

Miner I (Gaussian/XeCL)

MicroGraviton smartbomb I (small)

of course, there's countless weapon systems. i'll leave that to a different thread or post.

There's a couple other items like the Stasis Webifier and Shield Recharger that take lvl 3 skills.

SHIP
assuming you've taken my advice and gotten the captaincy, you have frigate lvl4

what we're going to look at is what kind of combat ship you can have at the very beginning (assuming you stick to hull upgrades & afterburners at first)
    this assumes a friendly sponsor, of course, who can shell out for the ship and gear

under construction (good thing i have everything, atm, cause the market's fubar)

The biggest thing i have to deal with is this: is it faster to gain money via mining as a n00b, or quick lvl1 combat/courier missions? I'll study all three options and time them each...it'll take some time, but the investment will be worth...well, it'll be VERY worth it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: