UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Sam Penguin speaks (re: 3DO marketing woes)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 12, 2001 2:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PJG article.
Quote:
From the 'Netdevil' department, posted by Gossip on 2001-12-11 22:18:44 (adjusted).

And SamPenguin again on the 3DO JG BBS:

"I can in no way speak for 3DO about their marketing plans and/or distribution. I think we are all disappointed that a lot of retail outlets around the country were unaware of Jumpgate, and/or never had it on shelves.

However, on the magazine point, a very big thing that influences magazines to cover a game is their reader feedback. If that magazine is continually receiving requests for coverage on a title (for example an MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about), they will cover it. If only that title“s fans would write those magazines... (I know some of you have and do already, and believe me it helps and we appreciate it).

I think Planet Jumpgate“s Underground Marketing Front idea is also really awesome, and I“m really excited to see what buzz that creates.

More advertising would most likely help, but those decisions are made in someone else“s office and for a number of different reasons. So in the meantime, if you like this universe and you want to spread the word, by all means...

Shout it out, my TRI brothers and sisters!"

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2002-05-30 09:51 ]
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 25, 2001 1:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
If that magazine is continually receiving requests for coverage on a title (for example an MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about), they will cover it.
Scorch
Just a note. i thought this was a neat thing to hear the dev's speak about what they see as the game's highlights.

I'm hesitant to start pimping JG to magazines because the need for mission XP balancing
  • make the default mission destination to a depot in current sector. have it give ~100xp to prevent veterans from exploiting this. I'm not sure, ND, but i'll bet you could even have it as a generic depot so the newbies wouldn't pick the wrong one by mistake *g*...and do try to instruct them to come to a full stop in the "tunnel" (thanks to Armchair for the inspiration)
  • The arbitrary cargo thresholds...it should be you get a unit cap of lvl*10 (ie. at lvl30 you got a max xp reward per unit up to 300 units. it would encourage newbies to learn brokering/social/chat skills. *g*)
  • they really ought to lower the bonus for neutral station runs, it only encourages clueless newbies to wander into griefer country (plus it would cut down the stupid 50,000xp GBS exploit i refuse to particate in any more...i think i did a grand total of 6 gbs cargo runs before i grew sick of the ludicrous XP i was getting)
  • not to mention the absolute need to increase the patrol mission XP by double to account for the extreme risk involved in beek flipping for newbies (and cocky veterans)
I am hesitant to post on ND's forums, because i might get a little too angry at the dev's total apathy on this subject...but what the hell, i'll make a post that targets newbies. they need a voice, i'm sick of pimping a phoenix unnerf.

[ This Message was edited by: MajorFreak on 2001-12-24 20:04 ]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: