United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch
Joined: 09 Feb 2002
|Posted: Thu Feb 19, 2004 7:41 pm Post subject: JumpGate (a review by Muffy)
|This thread appeared in these forums:
Adrenaline Vault (curiously deleted post haste)
RelicNews (Homeworld RTS community; did okay, a little bashing & some praise; slow forum - it's still on page 2)
QuarterToThree (comment or two; slow forum - it's still on page 2)
Penny Arcade (total flame fest; fast forum - it's on page 6, but it lasted 2 whole days at the top)
USENET (pretty sedate; stupid slow forum - page 1 still)
Player2Player (went and said hi to Gbob)
Well, it finally happened! Muffy believes JumpGate is worth pimping after years of slagging the game's many faults as a sci-fi space-sim MMOG.
|JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch
Since most of you have either played it and hated it, or never played it and haven't a bloody clue, here's the skinny about why Muffy likes JumpGate (instead of loving to hate it)
download these things:
- Decent, distinct and well thought out graphics. Very minimalistic, but a hell of a lot more imagination put into simple things than many games out there with more generic "eye candy."
- No point and click movement interface once you leave a space station (yes, pilots/squads can build and maintain their own) ...it's just you and your hand-eye coordination. There's no "pilot skill purchasing/macroing" to be had, but plain old fashioned RL experience/understanding of a semi-newtonian physics engine.
- The missions available that give efficient experience (so you can buy bigger ships/gear) are varied and alot more forgiving towards new players than ever before. A friendly help channel that isn't a chat spam booth; levelling options more varied than what meets the eye; Artificial Intelligence "monsters" that make the game interesting instead of intimidating; A mature community that's past it's 3rd anniversary (insofar as major concept changes during betatesting)
- There are 'Factions' and 'Squads' and 'PvP' in the game in abundance along with 'Rebels' and 'GM npcs' plus a few attempting to play 'Pirates'...The game is so imbued with the ability to pull one's trigger that PvP is taken for granted, unlike alot of Point&Click games. Thing is, there's not much to be gained from being a griefer in this game unless you're really good at abusing the game engine's loopholes. The point is that reputation in JumpGate's community counts more than all the "factions", "storylines" and plots combined. (though, there are roleplaying opportunities if one has enough guts to pull it off with style and realize it's all just sandcastle building; btw, i like building sandcastles)
- Ship & Gear choices have improved by leaps and bounds. The game is actually becoming more than "one ship; one gear choice" -- optimal is replaced by preference...and the levelling treadmill, of course.
- Alot of the main bugs people have complained about have been removed (including the "nix hit box" bug of olde, and missile size constraints on ship hardpoints added)...Unfortunately, the developers have only one guy working on the game making patches (but the nice thing is he was a former player that got hired later. which means he's not going to think, "hey! let's nerf this and see what happens" that alot of MMOGs get stuck with, especially Eve-online)
ftp://ftp.mightygames.com/jumpgate/Jumpgatelight_eng.exe (EU server software)
http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/docs/controls.bin (place that in the main jumpgate directory; cust config for mouse/keyboard) http://www.slopey.com/ (market tracker and more; pick the EU server)
http://www.jumpgateweb.com/dls/huds/dysonhud.zip (very nice HUD layout)
http://www.myrotacol.net/html/jgrot.php (location tracker and more; pick the EU server)
register here at the EU server:
for tips and general reading see here:
the websites for the game can be found through this fan site:
If you want to actually purchase month to month you have two choices:
- play on the EU server ( www.mightygames.co.uk ) using a credit card (alternate payment options will be available in the future according to this)
- play on the US server ( www.jossh.com ) using a credit card for a per month charge or alternative payment options via www.paybycash.com (i use a canadian saving bank account and route it via paypal for ~$50 canadian for 3 months)
MOVIES OF ROID BEING DRAINED FROM FRESH TO BLUE
(remember each of these roids aren't going to give pure ore but a mix of ore types which, when sold to market, get transformed into commodities)
completely useless data that's safe to ignore:
NICE INTRO MOVIE FOR JG
dunno about the current conversion from Roid--->Ore--->Commodity since i've been retired for quite some time now, but i've heard things have improved "somewhat" from a useless, hellish endeavour to a "really happy and great/wonderful *sucking noise* dynamic logistic macrosystem"...I'm also not sure if the 2unit refreshed per roid per hour (server time) has improved, though i'm sure the units per roid have increased. blah blah blah
DrumDummy's old flyby
sorry, it requires winRAR, k? =p
DOCKING WHEN CARRYING LOAD
Reverse thrusting movie (no sound, sorry)
it's a winzip file containing a mpg that i used TMPGEnc.exe to compress.
CIRCLE STRAFE MINING
Active mining movie (no sound, sorry)
it's a winzip file containing a mpg that i used TMPGEnc.exe to compress.
FLESHING OUT NETDEVIL'S OFFICIAL "TOUR"
html archive file (using save webpage as...archive)
it's a winzip file containing .mht pages that give an introduction to JG that fleshes out the netdevil tour.
FINDING ROIDS WITHOUT SILLY ROTACOL
good god in heaven! rotacols that expensive? looks like it's time to splurge for the n00bs:
you can use those "starchart" maps to find roids even if you don't even know what a rotacol looks like (mostly Quantar...mostly)
after you get the hang of the maps you can practically fly there without even pausing...unlike rotacol where the method isn't intuitive, just rote.anyways, everything else at http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB forums have deadlinks to images and files that can be repaired to viewers simply by changing the www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/ link to razorskiss.net/archives/UMEC/ (don't expect me to fix them now cause i have a life) =p
|Let me add one thing to this thread, Point & Click requires no learning curve (or very small one), therefore allowing the casual player to be "skilled." This promotes the game to the masses and provides more subscribers. A personal skill based game like JG becomes very frustrating to a large percentage of "noob" subscribers who are looking for something different as they can not easily and quickly enter into a game and excel. Let's be honest a large percentage of American entertainment is 60 minutes or less and if you aren't entertained in that amount of time, then you won't be back.
I love the skill aspect of JG and it is what keeps me here more than anytthing except the people interaction, but it does deter a lot of would be players with a huge learning curve.
|In Jumpgate, I never considered my pirating, raiding or 'griefing' days to be evil. Rather, I saw myself as a small cog in the greater picture.
I had a purpose within the game's universe, to 'redistribute' wealth to the strongest and best-suited to survive in the deep recesses of space. It was also my purpose to win the faction wars, a purpose I fulfilled on only one front before my wrath was untimely ended.
I do not consider myself 'evil', but I understand how people would think that. But if I were 'evil' (*wink wink*), I wouldn't regret it for a second. Wiping out the weak and making enemies flee in panic is something I wouldn't miss for the world. Muahhahahahahaha!
You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum
You cannot vote in polls in this forum