UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Star Wars: Galaxies

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Mar 13, 2002 9:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is anyone looking to play this when it comes out (besides me, that is)? If we get a show of hands saying, 'Yes, we're interested' then maybe we could get a SWG forum here, like Eve has? Maybe kinda huh?
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

All I found very interesting, but not sure how much it will feel like real work? There is more but this is a good sample:

4.01 Will Star Wars Galaxies use a skill-based system or a level-based system with classes?

Star Wars Galaxies will use a skill-based system with skill trees, and we'll have a wide range of skill trees and professions, including combat, crafting, and politics. Players will open up new capabilities as they advance by acquiring new skills. Specialized skills will require mastery of the lower-level skills in the tree, and skills may also require other sorts of prerequisites. You will not have to engage in combat to advance (well, except for combat, of course!).

4.02 Will I be able to play a healer in the game?

One of the "playstyles" that we've identified is the "healer" type of player - that is, the player who enjoys taking on a support role and aiding others by healing his or her allies. As a result, we've found ways for these players to create effective characters - expect to see well-developed medical and healing skills.

4.04 How will skill advancement work?

Each skill will cost skill points. You can only acquire so many skills before you are not allowed to learn any more. The total number of skills you can acquire, however, will depend on what sorts of skills you learn. The higher up any tree you go, the more all future skills will cost to learn. Likewise, the broader across all professions you go, the more all future skills will cost to learn. The cheapest paths are to go either straight up (specializing) or straight across (jack of all trades). If you try to specialize in multiple areas, each skill will cost more skill points, and you will run out of points sooner.

4.07 If I choose a skill, then later realize I don't like it, will I be stuck with it for the rest of the game?

You can always give up a skill in order to apply those points towards something that you find more interesting and useful. So, if you put X skill points into Wookiee grooming and later realize that Wookiee grooming really isn't your idea of a good time, you can always give up that skill to get those points back and put them into something more useful, like blaster repair.

4.08 Will mining be in the game as a potential player pursuit? If so will it be a skill, a series of skills, or will it simply be a question of having the proper equipment?

Yes, mining will be part of the game as a player pursuit. You'll probably need to have points invested in at least one mining-related skill tree *and* the proper equipment in order to mine stuff.

4.09 How will resource mining work?

You set up a facility that mines for you (instead of sitting online and repeatedly clicking in a location in order to gather resources). It is assumed to be largely automated--you only need to worry about it when it has reached its maximum capacity. Facilities will incur ongoing maintenance costs, and you'll also have to think about how to transport the resultant raw materials. There are also economies of scale that apply for facilities--the more of the same sort of facilities near each other, the more efficiently they will all operate.

4.10 How will resource distribution and availability be handled?

Each map will have a certain amount of a resource which can be accessed from anywhere on that map. The rate of its extraction will vary, however, fluctuating over time. Theoretically, all of the "best spots" could be in the wild lands, or all in safe lands, but neither situation will stay that way. When the resource for the map is exhausted, a fresh distribution is generated (and in fact, a new mineral is created--the old one is gone forever, creating a new rares market and rendering schematics for designed weapons obsolete).

4.30 Is there a smuggling profession?

Yes! This profession provides skills designed to help smugglers avoid detection of "illegal" materials by authorities. There are also skills that make players better at getting out of trouble once they are caught (something Han Solo didn't spend enough skill points on). In addition, the smuggling profession incorporates some slicing and combat skills.

5.05 Will the best items in the game be crafted or loot or quest items?

Probably all of the above, depending on the type of item. We definitely want crafted items to have value in the game, and we want quests to have some kind of value as well (of course, this value could be expressed through some sort of reward other than an item). We're not focusing as heavily on looting as previous MMOs, but there will definitely be the opportunity to loot defeated foes and acquire special things that way as well.

5.06 How do we craft Items?

Once you have resources, you use them in schematics to build items and components. There are schematics for specific types of object, but you can affect statistics about the resultant design for the object based on your crafting skills and the exact resources you use, so not all designs come out the same. Once you have finished a schematic design, it becomes a blueprint for manufacturing. You feed the schematic into a factory and as long as the factory has the resources and components specified by the schematic, it will manufacture items based on that schematic, even if you are offline.

5.07 How do schematics work?

As you gain in crafting skill, you gain access to new schematic types. You have a limited capacity for schematic types, so you may have to give up crafting certain types of things as you advance. These schematic templates allow for experimentation; for example, a blaster schematic may call for a barrel, but you can put any blaster barrel into the schematic to see how it affects the potential item to be crafted. Once you have put all the components in the schematic, you then work with the prototype to try to maximize its potential. Once you have finished, the schematic is "burned in" and becomes a manufacturing schematic. This means it is now a commodity item, and can be used to manufacture from (when placed in a factory) or can be traded, bought, and sold. It also now will forever call for exactly the components that were used--so if that type of blaster barrel is no longer available, that burned in schematic is useless.

5.08 Will manufacturing "recipes" require that the player know the recipe (from other PCs or the Internet), or will characters themselves have to know the recipe (requiring in-game acquisition of that knowledge)?

The character has to know the recipe.

5.20 How will the economy in Star Wars Galaxies differ from other online games?

Perhaps the biggest difference between the economy in SWG and other games is that there are almost no NPCs or other server systems that purchase goods from the player. This means that if you want to make money through manufacturing items, you should make items that other players want or need. In order to help manufacturers get their goods to potential customers, we intend to provide systems that facilitate buying and selling between players, including player-run vendors as well as commodities markets.

5.21 What's the difference between a designer and a manufacturer?

There are two stages to the crafting process. The first is the design stage, which allows a player to take a draft schematic along with resources, components, and skill to make either a manufacturing schematic or a prototype (a one time crafted item). Either way, the resources and components used in the design phase are consumed. Prototypes can be considered "custom items," as they cannot be used to make more items. If the designer creates a manufacturing schematic, a manufacturer (someone who owns a "factory") can then use that schematic along with the proper ingredients to make multiple items.

7.01 Is this game focused on combat?

No, not at all. We know that many players will want to explore dangerous areas, participate in the Galactic Civil War, and engage in combat with a wide variety of enemies, so those options are available. However, players who are so inclined can take part in galactic politics, own a shop, or help build the community. Players can improve their characters without ever fighting anything.

7.06 How will I know if someone is attackable or not?

There will be a direct visual indicator that will reveal whether you can attack a targeted player and vice versa. However, the reasons why someone is attackable are not exposed in this manner. Players can bring up the profile of another player to determine exactly why they are attackable.

7.07 In PvP, will I be able to "consider" another player's character to find out how tough he or she is?

We're thinking that you won't get to "consider" other players in pvp. It leads to intentionally targeting weaker targets, rather than having the spice of not knowing how the fight will end.

7.08 Will there be permanent death for characters?

No. We feel that the investment players make in their characters is too great. We don't think players would like to lose everything because they looked at a rancor the wrong way.

7.14 How will Player Association wars work?

A player association can issue a challenge to a target player association. The target PA may accept or decline the challenge. If the target PA accepts, a state of war is declared. War termination conditions are set, which, when met, end the war and result in a victor. Members and installations of the opposing associations will be vulnerable to attacks from each other during the period of war.

7.16 Can I kill someone accidentally?

No. When your Health, Action, or Mind bars are reduced to zero, you are incapacitated until you are brought out of it or heal out of it naturally. Actually killing someone involves issuing an additional command, like a fatal blow or a coup de grace.

7.17 Will I need to loot my corpse to recover items?

We are planning to include an "insurance" system whereby items can be insured and then replaced upon character death. Looting a corpse will still be necessary to recover uninsured items.

7.20 Am I going to suffer lots of down time resting, recovering my corpse, etc.?

We are trying to be very aggressive and eliminate all the needless tedious bits. Corpse recovery, finding a group, waiting for stat recovery, etc., are all things we're trying to remove or make faster or more fun in general.

And one whole topic that covers a whole lot of things:

Structures and Territory

HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

In light of all that, there is no ship flying at release. But it will be implemented at some time. Wow! This is like what I want for JG in the stations. And it really sounds like they don't want it to be Quake in space (or on the ground).

Perhaps UMEC could look into taking over SWG! It really sounds like it might have been made for UMEC.

Beta testing is still not available...
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 23, 2002 10:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

See why I bring it up here? This is just the beginning. It's everything that could have made EQ long-term enjoyable (the tradeskills there are neat, but unfortunately, almost completely useless).

Alot of up-and-coming MMORPGs are VERY heavy on player-skills and crafting as being fundamental aspects of the game. Persistent, strong player impact on the game world is another element being recognized as crucial.

And I won't even get into the Space Expansion for SWG. *DROOL* Sure there are limitations on the game - such as not being able to fly spacecraft in-atmosphere (no strafing runs! :razz:) and while that might change, it won't make the game unplayable. SWG stands to be one of the coolest games to come out yet. Hopefully, Sony/Verant is leaning towards the crafter audience with SWG, instead of the powergamer audience with EQ. *hope*
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

note the irony that this thread was created a full year ago.
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Mar 31, 2003 9:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol Muffy,

dam been that long already? hell, yet another game we been waiting for.
Jegan
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 7:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm as big as a SW geek as anyone, but then again I'm not paying too much attention to this game. I filled my app for beta, didn't get it and that was that.

I've learned that its best to not care about it until they actually launch the thing, helps alot on the fanboi stress. wtg

Besides they took away the space part of the game at lauch. having played all the Xwing games ever made, that was a big dissapointment.
Frog
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2003 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well... I want to play it and all that...

However, I'm not sure I can fend for myself amongst rabid Star Wars fans...

Frankly, sometimes deep geek culture scares me...
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

Location: Muffy went off on somebody and all i got was this lousy T-Shirt

PostPosted: Sat Apr 05, 2003 12:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sekkoutai,

The Star Wars Galaxies (tm): An Empire Divided (tm) team would like to inform you that you have been selected to participate in the beta-testing process.

guess ill be testing it or something. i will give you guys the scoop if anyone is interested.
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu May 15, 2003 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, SWG is alot of fun. As soon as the NDA drops, I'll answer any questions anyone has.
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 1:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baaah YOU SUCK :blowfuse:
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

now this might look cool, but all i can think is "griefer heaven"
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 6:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think that "grief" style play should be curtailed with the current combat system. Hopefully, as a rehabilitated griefer, I can try to find the loopholes and point them out before this thing goes out the door.

Griefer Heaven is that pathetic abortion known as Shadowbane.
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat May 17, 2003 7:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im looking forward to starting a wookie speederbike gang. :)-

Oh yeah, RAZ YOU SUCK!

Dam you
dam You
DaMyOu!

I want into beta!!!
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Tue May 20, 2003 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely no guarantees here, but if you have someone you would like to recommend to be added for Beta 3, please list their SWG handle here and give a 1-2 sentence statement about why you think they would make good beta testers.
We’ll review this list periodically. I don’t want to make any promises that we will get them in, but we do value your recommendations.

-Kevin O'Hara
Community Relations Manager

Alshain, are you signed up at the Sony SWG site. If so what is your name and I will recommend you.

You gotta write the 2 sentences though :P
MadCat
President
President

PostPosted: Wed May 21, 2003 11:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I registered for the Beta long ago but havn't heard anything at all beyond the regular SWG newsletter.
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri May 30, 2003 6:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I made beta about a month ago.....
It has been alot of fun.
The servers have been down almost as much as they have been up.

If any of you want to look me up in game....Name is the same as always
:grin:

Maybe we can go hunting or something.....
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jun 18, 2003 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline Vault article
apparently, the official release date is now june 26, which is just over a week from now.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 28, 2003 2:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.insomniax.net/swgalaxies/swgalaxies.html
that's a character creation guide of sorts...*shrug*
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jun 30, 2003 12:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline Vault wrote:
Surely the launch of Galaxies wasn't even close to what Sony Online had intended: News on the front page of the game's website apologizes for players being unable to register on launch day. That's old hat compared to yesterday and today's server problems: Sony reports that a database issue caused the game's servers to go down - leaving customers stranded in cyberspace. Sony says it expects to have most of its servers online by 8:00 a.m. Pacific Time today. A developer post on the Galaxies message board assures customers that launch day won't count against their subscription. The response from the community is all over the map - from people threatening to return the game to others taking the birthing pains in stride.

hahahaaaaaaaa...i bet they even planned it this way.
Taram
Private
Private

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was a beta tester for SWG... personally I think the game is really lousy.

The game just doesn't feel like Star Wars. If you ever played EQ or DAOC it feels like DAOC or EQ with blasters. As someone in my outfit in PlanetSide once said:

"SWG feels like I'm on Norrath 42224 years later".

You still have to kill mobs to level
PVP is elementary at best
Point - Click - Walk Away, come back when fight is done.

It's a LITTLE more involved than that but in 90% of encounters you can do exactly that without much difference in the outcome. Sad really, I was hoping for so much more from SWG.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jul 04, 2003 9:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuarterToThree member wrote:
Brian's point is valid--there's a lot of folks for whom what he described is a damn fine bit of role-playing.

I just don't happen to be one of them. Which is why I won't say "the game is bad" or "it'll flop," though it may well be and it may well do so. Or not. Time will tell.

But I do have some trouble getting my head around the concept of these Star Wars settings where, apparently, despite ultra high technology and interstellar space travel, most inhabited worlds are covered in virgin tracts of undeveloped land filled to the brim with sentient-being eating critters, or just plain critters, the wholesale destruction of which seems to bother no one a whit.

In other words, while my poor little brain has no trouble conceiving of a fantasy world like Norrath or Brittania or whatever with "monsters" in the wilderness--after all we're talking about pseudo-Medieval tech and level of development after all--I just can't grasp the concept of Star Wars with ecologies and social systems cut from the same cloth. Yes, there were critters in the movies, on places ranging from Hoth to Tatooine to Naboo, but I never got the impression that the entire population of, say, Mos Eisley spent most of their time foraging the countryside shooting womprats or what not. It just doesn't...grab me.

No, to me Star Wars means blasters and space ships and dramatic battles big and small. I have never had any desire to be a craftsman or a musician or a shoe shine boy in the Star Wars universe. I have, however, had the desire to play a bad-ass Stormtrooper (oxymoron?) or a Bounty Hunter or a ne'er do well smuggler. And those are the things that SWG really doesen't let you do---not now, and probably not ever. Not in a viscerally satisfying way. They have to make sure eveyrone fits into the level and experience lattice properly, that no one is too powerful too fast, and that there is a precious balance between all the players and classes and professions, etc. Which of course is counter to the fiction, where all the interesting people are, well, bad asses. And it's the essence of these treadmill games that nobody, ever, is a bad ass really. There's always a nicely balanced area for you to operate in, and if you go elsewhere, you get nada.

So this long-winded ramble of mine is simply to say I'm not a nay-sayer or critic necessarily, just someone who doesn't want to play this game for the above reasons. It'll be interesting to see how many others feel the same way and how many feel like Brian and the others who are enjoying the experience. Again, time will tell all....
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

QuarterToThree member wrote:
I'm "sort of" playing as well.

First off, on the lag: don't think it's the game--it's your machine. SWG is a RAM hog. I'm playing over dialup and haven't had *any* lag issues yet. Everyone in our group who has complained of "lag" has ended up revealing that they're playing with 256 mb or RAM, or an older video card, or somethin'. I use a 9700 and have 512 mb of memory, and the game is smooth.

HOWEVER...it's a grind, and a not particularly fun one. What's nifty about the Star Wars movies? For me, it isn't the "depth" of the universe that George Lucas created, since I don't think he created one at all, and I don't think there's any depth there. I think he tacked one onto a backstory once the first movie became such a hit, and allowed various and sundry hack-writing novellistas to basically reverse engineer a milieu that a certain segment of sci-fi starved folks latched onto. I think of the "Star Wars Universe" the same way I think of the universe in which Jordan's "Wheel Of Time" novels are set: the guy who created the setting is makin' it up as he goes along.

So. What's "cool" to me and fun about the Star Wars setting is the excitement of guys shootin' it out with blasters, starships rocketing across the sky locked in combat, weird-looking creatures who want to eat you...all kinda cool in a "gee-whiz" sort of way. SWG doesn't have the space combat, so forget that. It does have the potential, though for the cool firefights, and interesting mobs....

...but wait! Only a select portion of the classes in the game are going to see that element. If you want to be a healer-type, you hang out in a hospital, inside the same four, boring walls, and spam heals onto fighting classes. Entertainer sound like fun? It did to me...until I found out that entertainers simply stand there and dance inside the same four walls of a Cantina, much like doctors within the same four walls of a hospital. I compare that to my favorite MMRPG, DAoC...now I know Mythic has made mortal enemies by nerfing classes willy-nilly, but IMO they've done an admirable job of trying to give each class a role in a combat group--they're trying to make it so that any class has something to offer a group. Healers go out with groups. Minstrels go out with groups. Crafting isn't a profession in and of itself. Sure, your primary role in your DAoC guild might be as a weaponcrafter or fletcher...but at some point you actually get to go out and kill stuff with that cool sword you made yourself. In SWG, you get the "satisfaction" of hearing other people telling you how good your weapons are in combat. I'm sure that's nice to hear and all...but if you need to pay 14.99 monthly for that sort of virtual self-affirmation, maybe you oughta be saving up those pennies for some therapy instead.

I mean, sure, you can "roleplay" so many professions...but so what? I get enough of figuring out costs of goods sold at my actual real job--why in fuck's name would I want to play a merchant class in SWG and do the same thing? If that's fun for folks, perhaps I can get them all to show up at my job and wipe out half my work for me, like Tom Sawyer gettin' the yokels to whitewash his fences for him.

It's funny, because I saw a lot of hard-core gamers deriding The Sims Online as being nothing more than a gussied-up IRC shell. I'm here to tell you that if you're in a guild with a lot of crafters, that's all SWG is, too. Guys are spread out all across the city, chatting away as they grind through crafting levels. Once one guy levels up a skill and gets trained, folks come to him and he "teaches" it to them...as I understood it, that sounds just like the "gameplay" in TSO, but I could be misinformed.

It ain't all bad. I've had a blast going out on "destroy" missions with guildies, while my medical skills are still rudimentary enough to not suffer too much from use in the field instead of hospital. The player-only economy is a neat idea, and seems to be taking off much as it was supposed to. There are some really terrific ideas here...

...but so far I'm not seeing the payoff. I'm going to give it time (well, 25 more days) to work some magic on me, but if I had to renew this tomorrow for 15 bucks, I think I'd pass.
Taram
Private
Private

PostPosted: Mon Jul 07, 2003 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very nice summation, MajorFreak. Said it far more eloquently than I could have. I think SWG is very well done for an MMORPG. I also think that tacking the name "Star Wars" onto it is going to wind up doing far more harm than good to the game.

When I think of "Star Wars Galaxies" the last thing on my mind is sittin in a med-lab 24/7 spamming heals or sitting in a Cantina 24/7 improving my music skills.

I think of epic space battles. Daring smuggling runs through uncharted or dangerous areas of space. Exiting Dogfights between spaceships and hot firefights down planetside.

I definitly don't think about killing A_Womprat_194 over and over again.
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Aug 24, 2003 6:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

well its been about a month of play fer me. Tried out a few different professions and ended up sticking with Smuggler. Did try out the Droid Engineer deal.. became a master artisan and all that... but I have to say it was boring as hell for me.. and that being in a fighting profession is much more fun.

Im runnen min specs right now, so pvp for me is only when I see one of my buds in trouble, or duels. Like ya said Muffy, if ya dont have the ram, or vid card to handle this stuff your fps will drop to single digits and you will end up dead instead of having fun.

I dont know, I say its a better then average game.. but worth 15 a month? Not sure... guess Ill find out the answer to that in a day or two when they tell me I have to pay to sign on. Not to sure I will...

So where to now? DAoC? eh.. dont think I can go back... JG? Fuck No.. I HATE ND with a passion, those fuckheads screwed an awsome game. I did beta for EVE... didnt strike me as fun. Guess Ill be in for more of a wait.. WoW maybe, or MEOL... might be interesting.

Then again, if anyones playen SWG and has a playa on Bloodfin, give me a holla. Smugglers name is Taurus Horizon.
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Aug 25, 2003 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm on Starsider, A Bounty Hunter named Sekkoutai. I think the game is in a flat spin right now. Designer Dragon better hope some kind of magic saves it.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: