UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Is this still a unit/squad?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Taram
Private
Private

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Is this still a unit/squad? Reply with quote

I was curious. I recently "discovered" jumpgate (God I wish I'd found it sooner) and am in *love* with the game. Before anyone starts bemoaning what it lacks let me state that I was/am a DIE-HARD Elite and Privateer fan from WAY back so, to me, a MMO version of these games, melded and expanded, is like heaven on earth.

Anyway, I was curious, everyone keeps talking about how the game is Dying. But I see 100+ on every night during the week and this weekend there were several hundred on. I am asking because I'm concerned about putting my heart into a game and having it vanish 3-4 weeks down the road. I'd post this on the official forums but my access hasn't turned on yet (I did email the support address yesterday).

Also curious, this site is listed as a Squad in the game, I was pretty impressed with all the really informative posts here and was wondering what it takes to sign up?

Thanks in advance!

Taram
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 01, 2003 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

contact MadCat via PM on these forums to join up.

As for the population here and all the moaning about JG dying? Well, for perspective it's ALWAYS been at that level of pilot activity...even during beta. *g*

please don't ask why it's not grown...i'd put it down to "niche market" and i could say other stuff, but all my friends who'd left say the storyline and gameplay suck. (they're a picky bunch)
    and yes, i also was a privateer1 fanatic and the only reason i couldn't play that game anymore was the lack of MP....and the hokey flight engine where most of my kills came from fender benders
as for your main question, is this still a squad? uhm...pretty sure it is. haven't been up on duty hours, but there's a few of us hanging around ingame still. If you don't find anyone, i'd recommend ACME (a bunch of ex-umec created that one) or =MACK= (our rivals)
Taram
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Jul 02, 2003 3:00 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the information. I honestly found Privateer's combat engine very good, had no problems at all fighting. Privateer 2, however, SUCKED as far as combat engine. The joystick was so touchy that it was nearly impossible to aim.

I loved Elite, however. But Frontier really ticked me off that they changed to full-newtonian flight model. Made it nearly impossible to really fight. I like the 'fuzzy newtonian' flight model in Jumpgate very much, gives just enough of a feel of "Really" being in space without making combat and flight into a vector calculation nightmare.

As for the game I don't know how anyone could complain about it. It's heads and tails better than anything out in the MMO market and it's far suprior to even most of the single player games of this variety. It's certainly the best game I've seen hit the Genre since Privateer. Freelancer was kind of lame.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 12:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtg yup. pretty sweet "MP privateer" game...the replay value IS what kept me flying around space for a few years. You'll notice the subtle bias in what gets improves and what doesn't get attention at all, ever, after about a few months - BUT, jeez, that's a few months longer than we bother playing most games, right?

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's a great fun game. A bit dull to get into at first, but once you get past that it's awesome :).
Nicator
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

er, that was me :)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 03, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hehe...j00 fanboi 8P

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I joined up on the European server about 1 month ago now. 15 mins into the 10 day trial, I had signed up for 3 months upfront.

To me, its the same man, its Elite Multiplayer Online.

I think i seached for ages for a game like this, back in my p166 days, then my pc died, i spend 4 years hard labor witha crap laptop. now I got a new machine, p4 animal with all the whistles and bells i could get, and discovering 4-5 years of games I just lost out on.

funny thing is, I have 20 games at home, some old classics i never got to play, some latest and newest powergames, and I have not touched a single one since I have seen jumpgate.

MY only wish is that we had one server that would work for everyone (so we could all be together for the 'numbers'

but thats about it. oh and that taxes didnt suck, etc etc rant rant lol

rant
Nicator
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 21, 2003 4:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MajorFreak wrote:
hehe...j00 fanboi 8P

Yeah, so? :P
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Public Relations All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: