UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU server begins EP2 introduction (TRI/FM)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 01, 2003 10:16 am    Post subject: EU server begins EP2 introduction (TRI/FM) Reply with quote

click pic for link to jossh story, plus see here for forum news article. (There's some very nice details on the olde Octavian JG constructor drones that fleshes out that backstory.)
    not sure what this will lead to (ie. other FMs), but i'll make sure to post followups up until the appearance of EP2, and even the JG enabling, perhaps. depends...it'll be my first taste of what patch introduction is like on EU server.
offtopic BTW, as a side note, you'll notice that the Aman FM sucks, yes? Gee...i didn't see that from a mile away. pffft

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sat Mar 22, 2003 5:51 pm; edited 5 times in total
Ventura
Private 1st Class
Private 1st Class

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 10:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will this add the "new" sector to Aman (That was added last year in the US), or is this something totally new?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh? i was under the impression the "new sector" was added months ago, dude. lemmie check my records before this event...yup it's there alright. waaay before this event. (damn straight i would have noticed that omission, and the crew on teh forums would have been screaming for it anyways, right?)

*shrug* i'm betting MG knows EP2 is soon...they wouldn't push that sort of FM unless it was close, right?
    anyways, they have a lifeline in the fact the EU server pilots merely built "constructor drones" to build the jumpgates...we haven't heard how long this latter process takes
TotalNooB wrote:
Yes, and three drones got through. If ep2 arrived NOW, that would mean that the entire gate network was constructed by three damaged drones in a matter of minutes. It wouldn't make any kind of sense. It would make no sense. It's a gradual buildup. ep2 is getting closer, you can tell from the events. Don't expect it to happen overnight, though (the updates haven't even said "we're ready to release it" yet!). Enjoy whatever damn RP comes your way and stop worrying about a silly little patch. If you don't have anything to do from the MG official RP, get involved and make your own. Talk to the GMs and plan something you'll find fun. It doesn't have to be server-shattering goodness. Just involve yourself and your friends in something you will find entertaining.

I believe MG knows that they'll start riots if they "delay the patch goodies with RP" after waiting more than a year for EP2, so that's why they're doing this stuff before the fact. (they might be insane, but they're not stupid)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*click above pic for MightyGame's main news article. click here for forum news*
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

EDIT: just completed a massive mission dossier. (just over 300kbytes, here)
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm The TRI FM is just a research FM - nothing real will come out of that.. The guns FM will have to produce at least some results I guess, but no new items can be added without some patch.. Normaly when new items are added, the patch comes first and then the FM. From the looks at trhe percentages, I'd say most FMs are done in a few days. I'm not sure what MG is trying to accomplish here since nothing new can be added before the patch is actually released, and a EP2 patch within a few days seems somewhat unlikely.

Of course, ND has surprised us all before...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 9:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no Zeshin. this time, i'm afraid, you're dead wrong. Yes, in the past when EU has had patches they've made you folks wait. (but you must remember that this time we've waited 2 years since first hearing about EP2)
    what makes you think MG will wait a second to give EU server most of the goodies? Just ask yourself about that last TRI mission to make the "constructor drones" that are somewherrrrrrrrre overrrrrrr the rainbowwwwwwww wayyyyyyyy upppp hiighhhhhhhh
In short: :urstupid:
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yup... The missions can be tied into releasing certain items as long as the GMs have the code for what it can tie in to. They could create missions before the patch and when the patch comes out the players will get their toys right then and there. Talk with Josh about it sometime (if you get a chance). :dunce:
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 6:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/PIC/JG/official/MGfactions04c.gif (5 1/2 hours ago)
http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/PIC/JG/official/MGfactions04d.gif (post date)
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh... The TRI research FM for the hangar mod. Er... No comment (NDA). Sometimes I should read more closely before posting. :headbang:
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, HTH confirmed exactly my point. :)
Quote:
... and when the patch comes out the players will get their toys right then and there ...
So no new guns will arrive before the patch, regardless how many FMs we do.

So my point stands and is quite valid: ... most FMs are done in a few days ... nothing new can be added before the patch is actually released ... an EP2 patch within a few days seems somewhat unlikely.
ditto
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 3:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS. your main point was, and i quote, "I'm not sure what MG is trying to accomplish here." It's been answered beyond your expectations: MG is trying something it hasn't before (doing FMs before a patch)
    your concern now should have been, "are they going to continue this trend or are they going to go back to the post-patch exclusivity?"
Personally, i believe that MG is only doing this because everyone's waited for so damned long and this rewards those who have stuck around. (because we all know once it's released we'll get swarmed by returnees)

wouldn't you rather have some fun with your mates you've stuck it out, than get pushed around by "hey! i'm back worship me!" braggards hogging all the FM action? (it's been almost 2 years and there's ALOT more waiting to return than we've come to expect from NetDevil's patch schedule pre-EP2)

hammer That is what they are "trying to accomplish here" :urstupid:

Last edited by MajorFreak on Thu Mar 13, 2003 5:07 pm; edited 1 time in total
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And that is a great thing they're trying to do. I know very well that MG is the main force that pressure ND to release EP2 asap..

My concern is the people that does not understand what MG is doing. When the FMs are complete they'll start big fat flame posts on the forums "Where are our new #@$ guns??".

Without revealing anything I think I can safely say that the issues preventing the release of EP2 can not be resolved before the completion of these FMs. I'm pretty sure MG knows that too, and I'm afraid there's a slight chance that their great endeavor will backfire...

So, while MG successfully raises everyones spirits with the promise of EP2 real soon(tm), some spirits will rise too high and get their wings burned by the sun.

joystick :grin:

EDIT: Of course this is just me being pessimistic due to experience and exposure of "people in general". In the best of world, we'll get EP2 tomorrow, everyone is happy and US does not bomb the shit out of anyone they think is a threat to the American Way.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 4:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

offtopic *muffy attempts to picture a scenario where Wynar mode isn't common*
WYNAR

ontopic
and of course, the next installment of the FM race (quantars rule!!! we rule j00 suxx0rz!)
EU server (current) ; US server (current)

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Mar 16, 2003 3:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeshin wrote:
Actually, HTH confirmed exactly my point. :)
Quote:
... and when the patch comes out the players will get their toys right then and there ...
So no new guns will arrive before the patch, regardless how many FMs we do.

So my point stands and is quite valid: ... most FMs are done in a few days ... nothing new can be added before the patch is actually released ... an EP2 patch within a few days seems somewhat unlikely.
ditto
How the fuck you misquote me so bad? ditto

Quote:
The missions can be tied into releasing certain items as long as the GMs have the code for what it can tie in to. They could create missions before the patch and when the patch comes out the players will get their toys right then and there.
You cannot <snip> your favorite spot (not even the complete sentence) out of that quote and say it is truth. Actually, the first sentence is what I was trying to point out. They can create missions before a patch so that players can get the goodies once the patch is released. You still have to do at least one FM per toy - it is just a matter of when you do it. It is a function of the game.

In this case, MG appears to bring out the FM for the toys before the patch - and in theory it is perfectly legal and should work as long as they have the codes that are supposed to be flipped for when the FM is finished.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 1:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey dude. have we ever done that before? done the FM before the patch? pretty sure we used to do so for items that didn't need inspace factory/depots. I recall a number of cases of that being the case. (or is my memory that fuzzy?)
    if MG are trying something COMPLETELY without precedent i hope to hell they don't botch it up.
rofl
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HiTekHick wrote:
How the fuck you misquote me so bad?

Next time I want to point at a certain part of your sentences, I'll quote the whole thing and bold the <snip> I want. Oke?

Now, I understand perfectly well what you are saying - How the fuck can you misunderstand me so bad?

The question is not when you do the FM - that part is obvious. You can do a FM for some engine that will be released next christmas today, but you will still not get the actual engine before some patch add it to the game.

Patch = Add item to the game.
FM = Enable item in the game.

You can enable items all you want, but if they don't exist they don't exist. I didn't say anything except just that - without the patch the items does not exist regardless of how many FMs you do. The backfire part lies in the fact that certain impatient people will scream bloody murder if they don't get the new items when they've completed the FMs.

Now a couple of FMs has been completed, so I suppose we'll see how people will react if the patch isn't released within the next new few days.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 5:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

BS. your main point was, and i quote, "I'm not sure what MG is trying to accomplish here." It's been answered beyond your expectations: MG is trying something it hasn't before (doing FMs before a patch)
    your concern now should have been, "are they going to continue this trend or are they going to go back to the post-patch exclusivity?"
Personally, i believe that MG is only doing this because everyone's waited for so damned long and this rewards those who have stuck around. (because we all know once it's released we'll get swarmed by returnees)

wouldn't you rather have some fun with your mates you've stuck it out, than get pushed around by "hey! i'm back worship me!" braggards hogging all the FM action? (it's been almost 2 years and there's ALOT more waiting to return than we've come to expect from NetDevil's patch schedule pre-EP2)

hammer That is what they are "trying to accomplish here" :urstupid:

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

In all seriousness, Zeshin, we answered your question. Now yer just preaching to the choir! MG faces Hobson's Choice over it, and staring at your navel isn't going to help anything.
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*preaches to the choir*
:steering: la-la-la
Xindaan
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 10:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeshin, there might be a few things to note that might have been forgotten:

• MG did FMs before a patch before (namely the research for the Financier gun).
  • I've put the research in italics, because this was done in the past too. For example, the Ranger ships were introduced with two FMs on EU. The first one was a research mission, the second one the actual construction of the Naval Yards.

In conclusion, I think it's safe to assume that this is a repetition. There are research FMs. ICly, the companies and organizations then evaluate the collected data, and alter/devise designs according to that data. Finalizing the design specs can take whatever time (i.e. until OOCly EP2 arrives). Then, stuff can either be produced right away, or there will be a quick construction FM for production plants, buildings or whatever is needed.

Edit: Ah, I actually found a link. GMHollis wrote:

Quote:
They will, however, return shortly when some details on EP2 stuff are finalized. We'll remain committed, like the last patch, to introduce stuff via FMs, but, like the last patch again, doing them before the patch arrives whenever it's possible, so that the players have equipment when it's theoretically available, but still can work for it. An example for this would be the Financier mining laser of the last patch.

There's tons of new stuff coming, and it all needs to be researched, developed, prepared for. Dependent on what's to be built, we'll also use a wider range of progress speeds than we did in the past (like buildings needing more work than stuff that's smaller, for example).

In the recent past, MG used 0.1% per 50 units progress speed for all buildings. The recent research FMs were 0.25%, as was the construction of these constructor drones (I think). My guess therefore will be on 0.1% for Naval Yards again (these can be done within 3 or 4 days when people get active - and they will) and higher speeds for stuff that needs less production (i.e. building local station production plants or something for equipment), or the latter arrives right away when the research is done for it.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

must you use the german version?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i was bored with posting the english text, so sue me
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Gameplay (ie. Content) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: