UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TexMurphy rants about the *OOC* nature of patch info

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Feb 09, 2003 11:47 pm    Post subject: TexMurphy rants about the *OOC* nature of patch info Reply with quote

TexMurphy wrote:
Im gonna stick my head in here... but not to flame anyone... But to hand out some critisism instead.

Updates on progress are really good. But when it comes to updates that just smack out all info about what is coming that is imho very bad. Part of getting a new patch is the fun of exploring the content. Its like when you are a kiddo at xmas. Nothing beats that feeling of tearing of the rapping paper and exploring what you get.

If you know exactlyl what you are getting before you get it you go like *shrug*. nothing more nothing less. you got what you knew you got what you expected.

It totally beats me why the info on the content wasnt done RP style. Wrapping the content into RP gives the content depth and it doesnt have to expose all the functionality. This triggers the imagination of the players. The imagination "wooow how can we use this can we use this like that and that like this" and the players start planing and dreaming of what they can do. If you wrapp out the stats and exact functionality the focus right away goes to the hardcore technical aspect which does not enourage imagination. Instead it triggers the brain to look for disfunctionalities and disadvantages.

If a player right away starts looking at the technical stuff there will never be a plan formed in his head. If there isnt a plan a strategy a desire to use the stuff in the head of the player the stuff will never be used. If the new content doesnt get used the galaxy will never get more depth to it through how we use it.

As much as I think Themis did a bad job here its not only their responsibility. The responsiblity lays just as much with the players who bitched up such a storm about updates that Themis where forced to burp up this kind of updates.

I seriously think that the way these updates where handled serious damaged the "wooot-feeling" of getting a patch.

he's both right and wrong....i'll get the reasons why later. darned forum search might take a while.
RazorsKiss
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I both agree and disagree as well. Most likely for slightly different reasons, but hey, if we were all alike, the world would suck =P
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Cay
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 2:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Basicly my thoughts are, its good to let us know whats comming so we can comment, and help show whats useful and not, by the same token he has a point.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ah. finally found that thread i was thinking of. I think the problem with the Official RP stories is they typically look like *OOC* info blurbs dressed in drag, and the actual patch info announcements look like they got drafted by the Too Much Info Dept....It's back to the old, "Do TG/ND/MG really understand the community's mindset when it comes to information priority?" (ie. what we want to hear *OOC*. you know, "Need to Know Info" versus fluff peices that they think are only good for *OOC* bells and whistles and what's left is total crap GM_Moll/GMIskander get to play with)
    sure, we NEED TO KNOW stuff like, "where can we build our POS"...now, this is a prime example and i'm going to ask you how long they took to clear up the confusion. 1 day? 1 week? 1 month? It took just over 1 month to get this answered (1month and 1week to be exact)
It's like we either get all or nothing when it comes to stuff...proving quite convincingly that they bloody don't care as long as the Wynar's get fed. And satiated they are...happily so. I see R2D2 camped rather smugly on the forums knowing that the Innominate Effect is in full force. This is yet another symptom of a larger problem. I do believe the first step belongs in F5:help booth, ironically enough. Until we can clear the devs,GMs and OPs out of F5:help and into F5:chat (or F5:eng / F5:de for EU server) the faster we see a paradigm shift in the entire community's mindset and culture. Until then, there is no hope.
    i mean, the officials can't tell what a troll is unless it uses politically incorrect language. If they can't tell that, what hope do they have to understand what "Roleplay" means? If they can't tell what roleplay means, how can they tell where the bullshit ends and the seriousness starts? Just look at R2D2's existence there. He's so obviously a troll it's not even funny. (and don't get me started on the Martyr syndrome griefers/carebears who've evolved past the slug stage of a trolls life cycle)
And one wonders if ND/TG/MG have any priorities. You ask them about "Roleplay" they talk about 'Faction Missions'; You ask them about 'Faction Missions' they talk about "Events"; You ask about "Events" they act like schoolgirls. HELP
Cay
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto wtg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: