UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Fellblade's Guide to Insurance

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 8:31 pm    Post subject: Fellblade's Guide to Insurance Reply with quote

n00b wrote:
Another question if you don't mind.

I need to get a clearer picture about what happens when I get toasted. From what I can gather I loose all equipment but am re-embursed a certain percentage depending upon my insurance status. I also don't get re-embursed for any MODx items. Destroyed pilots don't ever loose ships.

I think this is right but what happens to any cash that's been accumulated before destruction? And what about cargo that's being transported (does this work on the same insurance basis?).

Thanks.

Fellblade wrote:
Okay...

You will get reimbursed for:

- Commodities in your cargo hold
- Equipment mounted on your ship ('cept for MODx)

You keep the same ship.

The amount you get reimbursed is:

(untaxed cost of equipment)*(your insurance rating)/10

Think of your insurance rating as a % of what you get back. 9.8 = 98%

All the money you had before you died, you keep. Anything that you have in storage at your faction's depot, you keep.

Note:
You don't get reimbursed for:

- Equipment that has a higher rank requirement than the rank you currently have. (These are 'black market' items) eg: Someone buys you a Guzzler engine at level 2. You crash, you will get no insurance on that item of equipment.

- Any MODx equipment. This is a major pain in the ass when you're talking about targetting computers which cost c180,000 or more.

- Equipment not mounted in your ship. This means that if you are carrying an engine in your cargo hold, and you die, you get no money for it. Destroying tows laden with equipment is a sure way of financially crippling a squad. This makes gun-running quite risky, as people are willing to take a political rating hit to make you loose multi-million credits.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baadf00d wrote:
For a normal pilot that is not /homed and has all positive PRs:

Equipment cargo is not insured.
Commodity cargo is insured even in unreg.

Equipped gear is insured except:
Missiles are not insured.
MODx are not insured.
Items that you do not have the level for are notinsured.
Brokered items ARE insured if the pilot has attained the necessary level or if the item was brokered due to an insufficient PR.

Pilots with a neg PR with any faction have no insurance.
Pilots that are /homed :- insurance changes here are undocumented.
Xindaan
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 8:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And the formula for insurance:

insurance_rating = (number_of_launches - number_of_deaths)*10/number_of_launches

Example: 100 launches, 10 deaths will lead to an insurance rating of 9.0, which means that pilot would get 90% back.

Xindaan's formula page (I think the shield energy one is wrong, though. And technically, it should be the shield power, not energy. I think I'll update that one soon.)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 2:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Baadf00d wrote:
1. The fixes.txt file does not say anything about commodity cargo being uninsured in unreg.

2.JOSSH does not say anything about commodity cargo being uninsured in unreg.

3. A search on this very BBS, reveals that the first time that uninsured commodities in unreg is mentioned is by Teeleton who was *asking* for cargo to be uninsured in unreg to make a tow pilot more likley to take a pirates POD demand seriously in unreg.

4. After that, uninsiured cargo and unreg are only mentioned in the context of equipment - which is never insured anyway.

5. Then suddenly - with no announcement and unrelated to the release of any patch, pilots start posting on these boards as though commodity cargo is in fact uninsured in unreg - one of those pilots being me. For myself - I belived it simply because other pilots belived it.

6. Even with insurance, a pilot can stand to lose many millions on a load of an expensive commodity - especially if their insurance rating is crap.
I have to admit, even i was fooled into thinking this was true. Never actually bothered to test, and i should have remembered the histrionic tendencies of those who swore it was uninsured for commods in unreg. (The kind that tend to start other people fighting wars over molehills)
Xindaan
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 6:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*cough*

I think I posted it somewhere here in the board before.

GMHollis at MG-Board:

Quote:
On a different note: Crashing my in-game char's tow into the beacon of ZR caused me to get insurance money for the cargo I transported. (On staging.)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You mean here in Baadf00d's post?
yeah. thanks. that's what convinced us both. now if you'd kindly explain WTF "staging" means i'll be a happy camper.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

staging == staging server == server on which new builds are deployed for the purpose of testing.
Xindaan
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 9:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And if there's nothing to test, it'll just be the normal JG version being there. (Can't find a source for that atm, sorry.)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 4:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No-insurance death costs
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

care to fine tune that, Xindaan? he did say he figured it out for high levels (needed something like 200 landings per death to keep 10 insurance)

http://www.jossh.de/jgdeu/PilotViewer?p=MiX_1
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 8:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hm.. I have this formula:

IR = (1 - (deaths / launches)) * 10

Works correctly for all OV members I've applied it on. We did a thing the other day to try and get our avarage insurance rating up, and the only thing we came up with to increase it was to launch (and dock) an insanely amount of times... We desided the best course of action was to avoid death instead! ;)
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Mar 13, 2003 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, i come forth with a litle bit of algebra ...
the formula from Xindaan is the same i used/figured out, however there is some kind of level-modifier too, that still needs to be figured out...
but then latest after lvl 30 that modifier has no impact annymore, and then one needs a good insurance for that load of comods worth each credit one has that is lost when docking with 101 m/s ...

the formula from Zeshin is the same as the one from Xindaan:
1-(deaths / launches) =
launches / launches - deaths / launches =
(launches - deaths)/ launches

oh, and if someone likes excel:
=ROUND((1-(B2/A2));2)*10 where A holds the launches and B the deaths

another thing that could come handy: if u assume the rate is rounded to 2 digits you can set 0.995 for a 10 insurace-rating:
1-(deaths / launches) = 0.995
-1+(deaths / launches) = -0.995
deaths / launches = 0.005
deaths = 0.005 * launches
launches = deaths * 200
Yea, thats right, you need 200 launches per death and you get a 10 insurance!

yea, muffy, i was wrong yesterday ingame it aint landings but launches, took me like 10 pilots and a excel table to figure that out ...
    btw: i didnt find that paper, so i had to figure it out again...

The famous name whose origin traces back to death
Two maidens that control death
Black hands in fields of green
Please protect the peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 26, 2003 5:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jetset_UK wrote:
So does anyone have any idea how much money TRI makes outta tax???
_Nellie wrote:
I'm sure its suggested that the maths dont add up and that TRI in reality makes a massive loss keeping us all flying about shooting each other (sales taxes vs insurance payouts). On PoS sales TRI has already taken tax when whatever gubbins you are selling was originally bought by the pilot off the station market to stock the PoS.

Whilst tax rates are variable based on factors such as beacons and political rating, a rule of thumb tax rate of 1% on the commodity list price and 10% on equipment purchases when bought from a non-PoS station seems to be the norm.

Widgets (when inventory.txt is fixed) such as Slopey's Web tracker can be used to work out your exact tax rate on a given item

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jun 27, 2003 6:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Valeris wrote:
No insurance payout when using the burglar seems sensible to me.

If you burgle a load of matcons, then die either from a trap or from the victims mates, you would still make money from the raid.
A trader on the other hand either loses money from burgled cargo, or takes the hit when he dies, so he loses either way.

Either scenario, the pirate wins. Seems to make sense to me that you get no insurance payout....
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2004 8:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damnit. so finally someone with some authority in PROGRAMMING finally opened their yapper. bout damned time!

GM_Istvan wrote:
To help with clarity, I can confirm that cargo is indeed not insured if you respawn at a TRI station in unregulated space (LL, KH, EE, GBS). Insurance is a function of where you respawn. With all the changes to /home since Episode 2, insurance is probably yet another subsystem that needs some examination and possibly, changes.

I can't make any representations about when reevaluating insurance can happen, since I've got a ton to do for the forseeable future, but I've added insurance to my list as a general issue.

goes to show how hard it is to get straight answers from peepz in a TIMELY manner. (reminds me of the days of olde when Rollio thought it funny to flat out lie about bounty rules back in beta to shut Baadf00d and me up one day to stop changes and maintain a level of confusion that profited "pirates")
    *cough*griefers*cough*
I'm sure there was a little more fear than altruism that prompted Ridgeway's clarification. Wonder which one of his "friends" was in danger of bannage? bah! who cares.

anyways, kudos to GMHollis for spotting it and posting the announcement. (clears up his earlier insistence it was different)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: