UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

EU (semi) acct reset?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:02 am    Post subject: EU (semi) acct reset? Reply with quote

OP-Toast wrote:
Thx for understanding - a lot of people (*glares at the audience) would've got quite upset about it. Yes, we know the scope of the problem, but we don't have the tools to fix it yet.

POS pricing depends very heavily on the distribution of wealth being essentially fair. If things get too bad there'll probably be a cash reset for EP2*. It'll make a lot of people understandably unhappy, but if it's deemed necessary by MG then it will happen.

*Hell, some people are calling for a complete pilot reset
DP_Raider wrote:
it would never happen. If they did a reset for ep2 this whole game would tell em to shove it where the sun dont shine. I had my shit reset many times in beta. Correct me if im wrong but this isnt beta and I belive we pay for our accounts now. I for one would leave and take as many as i could with me. Not to mention the kill spree before we all left. Dont even think about a reset. Take that any way you want it

I know a simpler idea. just ban the fuckers like Raiderr and others of his ilk who cheat because they CAN, not because their RP is deep and meaningful. (keel haul the greedy tossers)
    unfortunately, it would just be a witch hunt and the shits would probably return and grief as much as possible...not to mention roam far and wide saying how MG and ND nerfed the economy/pvp/ships/missions
come to think of it, as soon as they DO fix the economy the farmers will scream we nerfed the economy and made it horrible and they'll roam the internet proclaiming our game now sucks because the devs didn't listen to the community. (ie. them. the greedy fuckers)

hahaaaaaaaaaa...omg. you know what? i will bet you hands down, that if we deal with most of the cheats before resetting anyone and deal swiftly and harshly with new exploiters then in one fell swoop we get rid of the idiots who are only interested in a WINGAME button.
    this game may be a MMOG which means persistence, but how many times have we reset voluntarily? Sure you might bitch about being "almost" to optimus or honest fortune, but isn't the point of a MMOG to nurture community? What is community? the "rat race" or the "<insert philosophical rant>"

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:13 am; edited 1 time in total
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

/me pays for a storage account, and fills a tow or two with instigators.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 13, 2003 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yup. BTW this would mean a wipe of account & server market/storage bins...no way they'd do the credit reset (because of that obvious exploit, Baad)
    i think what's needed is the "philosophical rant" that describes 'community' as being much more than just 'persistence'
or something like this....
Timski wrote:
AoF_Loki, this isn't the first time that such money making potential has existed. The first iteration of the cargo mission change was giving anyone that fully appreciated what was happening 100 million profit an evening, with a free rank or two thrown in.

"Exploit" is a poor choice of words in regard to most economic activities: In most cases all players are doing is using an intended game feature to the best of their abilities. Threatening resets is unhelpful IMHO.

I think it is fair to say MG have been aware of these issues longer than most players have. MG seem only to act when things start getting seriously outbalanced. My guess is that if they acted against every potential "exploit" that might one day become a problem, there'd be hardly anything left to do in the game . While they can't modify the code or re-write the economy model, they can (and do quite regularly) make certain adjustments which have the effect of biasing things away from certain out-balancing activities.

Mission brokering only becomes a critical issue where it can be consistently done with expensive commodities. When applied to cheaper commodities or a more random mix of items, the payouts are generally low: The feature encourages teamwork (albeit for slightly weird reasons), without injecting the volumes of cash that rapidly out-balance the game.

or you could flame the fuck outta the fags using a whole shit load of pent up rage like so...

BaadF00d wrote:
1. A cash reset is only going to be worthwile if MG can guarantee that there will be no further injection of cash into the economy via exploits. That means rollbacks if exploits are found, and a commitment from NetDevil to timeously fix exploits. Plus of course an economic model that doesnt bend over backwards to make farming possible.

2. Despite my reservations that an economy reset would close on pointless as MG cant guarantee that the economy wont rapidly fill with exploit generated capital, this is a bug FXXX you to everyone who is threatening to quit because their months of farming would be wasted by a econ reset. Grow up FFS. What a bunch of bleeding whynars (all MA I notice). I would have thought a _trading_ squad would welcom the opportunity to compete for cash fairly. Instead all we get is "Oh no! Ill quit if you take away my farming money!".

Quit anyway cretins. I dont know why youre playing. Oh wait - I do - youre all obviously 2nd accounts that enjoy the freedom from responsibility that having a tow filled with cash gives you. Cripes.

:?: Do you truly beleive all rich traders are nothing but farmers, and cretins?
8ball Pretty much. farmers that is.

It's true that I have occaisionaly been led to a farm by a BPC, but for the major part of my profit making I have always tried to combine BPC results with what the mission generator asks for (I still like getting exp and having the feeling that my trips are working for the ecconomy). Or I have sat in stations for hours producing such goods as Matter Convertors, or grav components ect!

I only have, and only ever had, one account! Neither am I in MA.

I am also quite grownup!

I may at this moment be a part of "a bunch of bleeding whynars " but if my credits are reset I won't be here to do anymore of that I can assure you!!!

We are all equally guilty of farming. There is very little profit availabe in the economy thats not a result of what some farmer did.

Essentially however, this is a MMORPG, and as much as we play WITH other players, we also play AGAINST them, whether we flux, PvP, haul cargo, mine, or accumulate glory stars.

I haul cargo. You haul cargo. Our measure of success as haulers vs other haulers is how much cash we have. As non farmers, the playing field is biased such that you an I cannot compete with the (farming cretins) who have mindlessly generated capital month after month, doing an activity that is supremely futile - an ability to tolorate boredom is the only necessary qualification for success.

A cash wipe? I welcome it. Money is not hard to come by, and with farming not an option, it will be an interesting experience. Certainly some thought will be required over and above that reqired for farming.

The game - for "traders" - such as yourself (I hope) and myself - remains pointless for as long as farming exists, and the capital generated by farming exists.

ditto
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont fundamentally have a problem with resetting cash or even levels within Jumpgate. However if ND/MG do not close the loopholes first then the only people going to be affected by this for any length of time are those that have no interest in manipulating loopholes for their own ends or remain ignorant on how to use them.

Personally speaking a cash reset will have relatively little overall effect on me anway, I have to a degree purposefully supressed my own networth to maintain my interest in various aspects of the game (a pair of PCE5 would account for 50% of my cash reserves at current prices, something that makes actually trying to arti up a tow an interesting conundrum).

As Badf00d stuck somehwere, yes I like making money, I also like earning Exp and gaining levels. It's FUN and contrary to popular belief amongst many traders I just dont see the two as mutually exclusive. However it is also not the be all and end all of my "trader RP".

I also find it very hard to argue with:
Quote:
I would have thought a _trading_ squad would welcom the opportunity to compete for cash fairly. Instead all we get is "Oh no! Ill quit if you take away my farming money!".
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Tue Jan 14, 2003 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I dont fundamentally have a problem with resetting cash or even levels within Jumpgate. However if ND/MG do not close the loopholes first then the only people going to be affected by this for any length of time are those that have no interest in manipulating loopholes for their own ends or remain ignorant on how to use them.

Personally speaking a cash reset will have relatively little overall effect on me anway, I have to a degree purposefully supressed my own networth to maintain my interest in various aspects of the game (a pair of PCE5 would account for 50% of my cash reserves at current prices, something that makes actually trying to arti up a tow an interesting conundrum).

As Badf00d stuck somehwere, yes I like making money, I also like earning Exp and gaining levels. It's FUN and contrary to popular belief amongst many traders I just dont see the two as mutually exclusive. However it is also not the be all and end all of my "trader RP".

I also find it very hard to argue with:
Quote:
I would have thought a _trading_ squad would welcom the opportunity to compete for cash fairly. Instead all we get is "Oh no! Ill quit if you take away my farming money!".
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: