UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Joystick subthread (calibration drift)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 19, 2002 11:06 pm    Post subject: Calibrating your stick manually. Reply with quote

Problem
When you calibrate your stick using the "gaming" control panel applet you find that the stick tends to pull in a certain direction in game.

Steps To Fix the calibration on Windows 2000 (and probably XP)

1. Run the Gaming options calibration for the joystick.
2. When the calibration wizard gets to the axis calibration page you should see a "Display Raw Data" checkbox. Tick it to see the numeric values the driver is feeding DirectX as the axis positions.
3. Make note of the values.

Now - you need to find your joystick settings in the registry.

4. Open RegEdit
5. Navigate to the HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\MediaProperties\DirectInput key.
6. Off of that key there will be a subkey for each identified joystick that DirectInput knows about. If your stick is a USB joystick it will ahve a name that looks like VID_06A&PID_053F
7. Under the joystick key there will be a key called Calibration\0\Type\Axes, which contains subkeys 0,1,2...
Subkey '0' has your x axis calibration. '1' has the y axis calibration. '2' will be the throttle. '5' should be the z-rotation or roll. Your mappings might differ.
8. Each of these keys contains a binary value called "calibration" thats 12 bytes long. This value is actually 3 groups of 4 bytes - the first 4 bytes is the left or top for the x/y axes. The 2nd 4 bytes holds the calibration for the center position, the 3rd or last 4 bytes holds the right /bottom position.

Mine looks like this:
[...\Axes\5]
Calibration=hex:28,00,00,00,93,00,00,00,fe,00,00,00

Converting the numbers from hex to decimal means that my roll is calibrated as:
Max left roll: 40
Center: 147
Max right roll: 254

Now - my ship tends to roll to the right a lot unless i hold down the roll left control so I need to shift the interpolated center position away from 147 towards the right. If I look in the control panel applet in fact it shows that the z-rotate axis is at 160 when my hands are off the roll rocker.

So, use calc to convert 160 back to hex. 160d = a0h. I edit the calibration data thus:

[...\Axes\5]
Calibration=hex:28,00,00,00,a0,00,00,00,fe,00,00,00

Upon relaunchign Jumpgate I find that yes - my constant roll has gone and I can play without going dizzy and mad!

Steps To Fix the calibration on Windows 95/98/SE/ME

I know how to do this. I can post instructions here. But its a @#$)! The settings are stored in a funny place, and arnt nicely arranged into axes keys.

Im hoping simply that no one wants to know. Please dont make me try to explain :P

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Microsoft sidewinder force feedback 2 without force effect. I have used it 1 year and never calibrate it or have any problems. I used Saitek cyborg 3D befor and it did some strange jumping. It was very nasty when towing.
Microsoft, no problems at all, only bad thing is after 1300 hours its strated to worn out.

LostSoul wrote:
Well, i got me a nice new puter.. and i hoped my drift on the cyborg would go away. Alas, its even worse. Now i heard ppl mention here and there that it can be solved.. but nodoby actually said how to solve it. If anyone knows where/how to fix it.. i'd love to know that cause its unplayable for me like this.
Daishi wrote:
Hmm dunno if this helps but I run a MS sidewinder precision pro2 in win xp. In the system config it sits perfectly with no fluctuations. In jumpgate it behaves until my sensitivity is increased. I think I have it at 115%

Now if I remove my hand it has a tendancy to drift ever so slightly to the left. Its not really a problem but you have to keep an eye on it so it doesnt make u petal (thats why i haven no artis left) a quick tap of the stick in the oposite direction stops it. U could try rebalancing the sensitivity and dead zone in the joystick config of jumpgate.
Chute wrote:
I had 3 cyborgs, all did the same thing, its a mechanical fault, there the stick is allowed to rotate before the centering spring centres it. just a little, but enough. I asked on the Saitek forum about it, a lot, and all they would ever say was 'the new drivers will fix that' but it didnt. take it back mate if I were you, get something else.

Incidentally, I have that cordless logitech thing, which did roll as you describe, but the logitech drivers have a deadzone adjustment for each axis indepentently, which appeared to fix it.
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

@w2k calibration
I set all axis calibrations to hex:00,00,00,00,00,80,00,00,ff,ff,00,00, use the query.exe tool to set 5% deadzone, and set Jumpgate deadzone to 0%. Smooth movement all over, and no jitter.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 07, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

much thanks, Zeshin wtg
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 12:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That calibration is the default calibration you will get if you simply delete the value :)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: