UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Mouse/Keyboard configuration

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 7:41 pm    Post subject: Mouse/Keyboard configuration Reply with quote

default keys are shown in this PDF document and in this flight academy section
  1. Now i'm sure you all know which button is the "launch" icon & how to accelerate and turn around in space. (vertigo inducing, no doubt) so i'll skip the baby talk
  2. there's a few hotkeys you might have overlooked. One is "next/previous target". it's the one most important in this lesson. unfortunately, NetDevil had the brilliant idea of setting hotkeys for mouse/keyboard setup that involves such hi-tech gadgets as a mousewheel and middle button...If you have a low-tech mouse it's going to get a bit complex, low tech mice users have default radar "next/previous target" keys mapped to the scroll wheel and modx "zoom" key mapped to the center mouse button, which need to be reconfigured ASAP. Since it's so important i've added a screenshot of where to look (hit ESC to get to options panel --->> then choose "Control")
    http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/FAQ/lowtechmouse.gif
  3. for god's sakes don't remap your acceleration key to anything you might use during chat; For that matter remap that damned "fire missile" key to something you KNOW you're not going to hit by accident while coincidentally targetting some really twitchy pvper while admiring your new toy morningstar.
  4. while on the subject of nasty buttons, ALL configurations (including joystick) have some rather annoying and distressing hotkeys...like for instance the one that makes your entire HUD disappear while you're attempting to chat in space (and don't know what you did. believe me it happens every %^&^%*[BEEEP] time i mentor a n00b, this letter is thankfully a consonant. "H". remap it faaaaaar away from letters and numbers)
  5. *ahem*
  6. okay, where was i? oh yes, other really important buttons you have to remap unless you want some embarrassing moments caught on <F5>:help with everyone giggling/cringing in your general direction...There are only a couple more. *g* one of them is the letter "E" a common vowel which ranks low in scrabble which, coincidentally, might freeze your radar. The other is the letter "R" which might scale your radar in so far you'll need a seeing eye dog.
  7. Okaaaay, so anyways, you can hit "launch" now, safe in the knowledge that you can chat away merrily in space on <F5>:help without wounding your pride by looking like a git.
I've been using a logitech trackball mouse of ancient design with no scroll wheel, nor middle/center/third button.

If you have a similar kind (ie. no wheel/no center button mouse of any type) you might be interested in acquiring a VERY time tested configuration...In fact, if you use a logitech mouse at all you'd best go with the below configuration since the logitech drivers conflict with jumpgate. (especially the scroll wheel)
MightyGame's FAQ wrote:
:?: Why won’t my mouse wheel let me toggle between targets? Answer: Probably because you’re using a Logitech mouse and driver which prevents the mouse wheel from working in Jumpgate. Solution: press CONT+ALT+DELETE and then close the "EM_EXEC" task (it is also possible to do this ingame). To remove it permanently you’ll have to deinstall the driver however or, for advanced users, you can leave search on for "EM_EXEC" in the "run" branch of the directory.
Click image below for specific custom key layout

primary fire bug; There's something really really important to note while setting your custom keys. It's that you must do your "left button" select last, because there's still a bug that nulls the keysettings while your doing the customization. (you'll notice it go blank while you set other keys)

Anyways, if you can't be arsed to goof around you can just download the controls.bin into your JumpGate directory (main)
    don't forget to backup your old version if you had an old custom config. just in case you can't quite adapt to mine...besides resetting the keys to default is easy (all you do is cycle the control mode)
BTW, here's an old topic archived on the subject of mouse configs.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:35 pm; edited 5 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 10, 2003 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG general forum thread
Looks like folks posting their favorite keyboard/mouse configs

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Feb 03, 2003 11:09 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 03, 2003 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

produced a new version of my old custom config (changed location of MAP from "m" to numpad5; moved PWD100 from "leftCTRL" to numbpad+)
    plus i created a poll asking about what people use their RMB for

*a few talked about Jump being keyed to RMB*

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Feb 16, 2003 11:37 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 3:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm hm You know what? I've always had a problem with ACC+ROLL+AB...always have, and it took me a long time to remember this fact when thinking about RMB unique ability to get around the "can't use 3 keyboard hotkeys simultaneously" rule.

I'm going to recommend everyone try the AB = RMB and see how there game improves. (i'll switch ZOOM to the old AB key; NumPad0)
    i'll let you know my impression of this change, since it's a pretty fundamental paradigm shift for me
:steering:

BTW, here's a to HUD customization (and recommended ones too)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 22, 2003 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wait wait. belay that last order. mapping AB to RMB disables that really neat ability to hyper-activate scan/jump/picture buttons.

(when you hold down AB while flying you can press the scan, pic or jump key and have it continuously activate rapid fire. it's great stuff!)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: