UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FireFly (an episodic sci-fi privateer tale)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Nov 20, 2002 10:41 am    Post subject: FireFly (an episodic sci-fi privateer tale) Reply with quote

:( i work friday nights in the pacific northwest and miss the show constantly...it's been 2 months now since it first aired. There's a number of really cool pics and stuff i downloaded and anything that doesn't fit into avatar size i'll post as a semi-large image here.

(Blue Prints; Concept sketch of Serenity)
Best way to get into the story (what i'm doing right now) is to read the past episode summaries here. It's got a definite "Millenium Falcon" feel to it. BTW, if you're looking for a good interview about the show try looking at the interview with Joss Whedon it's really very informative and funny at the same time.

EDIT:
WVAH Fox 11, a FOX Television Network affiliate wrote:
Firefly
Fridays 8:00 PM on WVAH Fox 11
Joss Whedon, Emmy Award-nominated creator of "Buffy The Vampire Slayer" and "Angel" and an Academy Award-nominee for "Toy Story," brings his unique and multi-talented skills to Firefly, a sci-fi/western adventure series.

Set 500 years in the future, in the wake of a universal civil war, Firefly centers on the crew of Serenity, a small transport spaceship that doesn't have a planet to call home. Captain Malcolm "Mal" Reynolds (Nathan Fillion), a defeated soldier who opposed the unification of the planets by the totalitarian governed Alliance, will undertake any job -- legal or not -- to stay afloat and put bread on the table.

Mal's crew includes his fiercely loyal second-in-command Zoe (Gina Torres), who served beside him in the war and owes him her life; Wash (Alan Tudyk), the ship's easygoing pilot and Zoe's husband; Kaylee (Jewel Staite), the ship's young and effervescent engineer; and Jayne (Adam Baldwin), a tough mercenary whose loyalties lie with Mal -- for now.

With prostitution now legal among the planets, the beautiful and sophisticated Inara (Morena Baccarin), has her own shuttle docked on the ship and shares friendly, yet non-sexual relationships with the crew while serving as a paid companion to the Serenity's guests. The wealthy and secretive Simon (Sean Maher) joined the crew as the ship's doctor in the hopes of protecting his emotionally fragile, yet intellectually gifted younger sister, River (Summer Glau).

Rounding out the ship's permanent denizens is Book, "The Shepherd" (Ron Glass), a preacher who is on board to spread the Word of God to the far reaches of the galaxy.

Thrust together by necessity, these disparate men and women are seeking adventure and the good life, but face constant challenges on the new frontier, such as avoiding capture by the Alliance, and evading death at the hands -- and mouths -- of the Reavers -- human, flesh-eating mongrels who live on the fringes of the universe.

Firefly is produced by Mutant Enemy, Inc. in association with 20th Century Fox Television. Created, written and directed by Joss Whedon, Firefly is executive produced by Whedon and Tim Minear. Gareth Davies serves as producer.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sat Nov 23, 2002 4:51 pm; edited 2 times in total
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 11:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Watched it since the beginning. Has a very heavy Traveller <tm> feel. Love it :)

I'm an advantaged tv viewer. TIVO with wishlist of premier ;)

My favorite episode to date is when the Cpt picks up a wife and the joke at the end.... I was just rolling.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL you mean the bit where the captain talks with the courtesan about why she succumbed to the spy's "poisoned kiss"?
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Nov 21, 2002 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Im an advantaged non TV viewer.
If I cant get the series I want to watch as ripped divx - I dont watch it. Its that simple.
No screwing around with missing episodes. recording episodes, or making time to watch episodes when theyre on. TIVO gives you a lot of that BUT you still have to set the thing up to record the show, then remember to watch the show at some point.

The only reason I still actually use a television is (a) to watch Formula 1 races - the only "sport" that interests me, and (b) I have a playstation2.

Maybe to watch CNN when I am not feeling depressed enough.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Fri Nov 22, 2002 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lol, BadF00d. That works too. :)

Yes, that's the episode, Muffy.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 23, 2002 5:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

player

i'm downloading that one now. i like pirate themes and the double cross you shoulda seen coming...hee...hmmm, well i was trying to download except the silly bandwidth counts are annoying. ah good. it's a popular one on Kazaa

wtg

it's sweeet! damn. haven't laffed that hard and so often watching a tv show in quite a while...hope they last the whole season.
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Wed Nov 27, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow, this looks cool! Thanks for the Heads up wtg .
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Dec 12, 2002 1:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Relating to the very controversial (i laff at that) "War Stories" episode...
Firefly Forums wrote:
A warning for those who don't care to read such things, but I'm about to get preachy here... :)
I personally believe in right and wrong too. I'm pretty sure most people in the world believe there is a difference between right and wrong. The thing is people tend to draw that line differently.

I believe in a loving God who created the universe and sent His only son to Earth to die for our sins. I pray to Him on whenever I need His guidance. I was baptised Presbetyrian(sp?) and raised Lutheran. I went through confirmation. Served as an acolyte at my church for several years. While I was going through my confirmation classes, my pastor even asked if I had a considered becoming a pastor, as he believed I would make a good one.

However, what I do not believe is that the bible is infalliable. As you said, it's been around for millenia. And during that millenia it has been re-written, translated and edited (King James being the most famous "editor") countless times over that millenia. You don't think that maybe, just maybe, something got lost in the translation. Or that during one of the many re-writes, someone somewhere didn't tweak things a little here and there to adapt it to his personal vision of God's will? Let alone the possibility of multiple someones.

I think the bible is a valuable tool to read about God's teachings and to explore the history of the faiths on which it is based. But to follow it blindly shackles oneself to the visions of its many authors, translators and editors, rather than truly serving God's will. God gave you a conscience and ability to make your own decisions. Use them.

I personally believe that the difference between right and wrong is a matter of harm. Harm to yourself and harm to others, physical, mental and emotional.

If we want to set that against War Stories, then Niska is wrong because he hurts people. Worse, he takes pleasure in inflicting this harm upon others. Niska is wrong. Niska is evil. The way he is portrayed in the episode coincides with this belief. The violence is not glorified or meant to titilate, it is there to show the depths of Niska's evil and the physical, mental and emotional strength of Mal (and to a lesser degree Wash). You are supposed to feel sickened by what Niska is doing. I see no moral arguement here. Personally I do not like watching graphic violence. However, I think JW and crew did a good job of riding the line where it was just graphic enough to be disturbing, to elicit an emotional reaction, without becoming gratuitous.

As for the scene between Inara and the Councilor, I believe it was pretty tame. There was a massage and kiss. Zoe and Wash's bedroom scene in "Shindig" and Saffron's seduction of Mal in "Our Mrs. Reynolds" were far more blatant. The fact that both Inara and the Councilor were female is what is kicking everyone's "moral outrage" into overdrive. To which I say, so what? Inara and the Councilor were two consenting adults. Where was there harm?

I don't see homosexuality as being wrong. There is no harm in it. I personally would never be attracted to another man, but I don't see any point in getting upset if other men are attracted to each other. (For all my attempts at being enlightened, I will admit that seeing two men together makes me feel uncomfortable, but I consider that a fault on my own part, rather than anything wrong with them.) Likewise, I see nothing wrong with women finding each other attractive. (In fact, I can understand it more, because I like women. I can relate. *g*) The fact of life is that some people simply are different, and so long as that difference doesn't hurt anyone, there is no reason to label it as wrong.

I could add more, but I think I've been prattling on long enough

Kinda cute, and actually gets to a point about all the trolls slamming the show on the show's forums. lol. *ah the sweet irony*
:irony:
Anyways, i thought it was very telling that this poster mentioned the "guilt projection" complex. VERY fascinating, and i didn't make the connect...hmmmm. Anyways, download it off Kazaa, but i still recommend "Our Mrs.Reynolds" over any one of them. (lots more T&A hehehe)

Firefly forum chatter wrote:
Dakota wrote:
"I love this show. But the les scene added nothing to the show. If it would of added an important side note or addressed something I think people would of accepted it more. To me this seamed like a desperate attempt for ratings or controversy as only FOX can provide. Even the ear scene fell into this. Anyone agree?"

Tecup has noted elsewhere in the thread (as did Totheblack) that they thought the scene did not contribute to the story or further the plot. (Don't know how they feel about the ear scene.)

I respectfully disagree.

In the scene between Inara and her client, we see softness, vulnerability, and gentleness. The scene was very brief, but showed some fine traits of the female gender.

In all the scenes with Niska and his henchman, we saw violence (graphic), sadism, hardness, pain and a refusal (by Mal) to become vulnerable. The scenes were extended and showed us some of the less-than-fine traits of the male gender.

See what Cheryl did there? Set us up with some stereotypes as background information.

During the episode we learn about Wash. We find out he is mostly gentle, patient, and vulnerable. So vulnerable he needed the Captain to buoy him during the torture scenes. He is not a stereotype. He has "masculine" traits and can certainly come through in a pinch, but he's not about hatred and he hasn't been hardened.

During the episode we learn about Zoe. We see further evidence that she's not just beautiful and loving, but that she's been hardened by experiences in her past. She is not a stereotype.

In fact, none of us should be defined in life by our gender. No human being is a stereotype. S/he is a human, an individual.

Long, yes, but I can't apologize; I needed all these words to explain what I saw :).

There were 56 posts when I started this, let's see how many have been added :).

-Shell Branscum

Funny that noone's questioned the dialogue in the "lez" scene...like i'll be dollars to donuts that Inara chick uses the same 'ice breaker' with male clients. jeeeez. I found that dialogue more uncomfortable than the actual innuendos and "sex scenes" (gods. i laff i do i really really roflmao) The funniest bits are when people start talking about how Inara's character will realize how ugly her profession is and then throw herself at the protagonist. lol. Call me sick and perverted, but i think Star Trek "counsellors" are ugly in comparison.

Besides, i stopped watching StarTrek voyager not because the captain was female (kinda shocked me that i was uncomfortably sexist about that tho. lol) but because i found out Sevenof9 wore a corset and fainted numerous times on the set...That creeps me out more than "torture" and "fag scenes" ever will.

another one wrote:
Wow, I sign up to read some commentary about the best darn television show I've ever seen, and I get Bible study!
F***ing fantastic!

Okay, the "lesbian" and ear-cutting scenes were inflammatory, but certainly not pointless .

And I must respectfully disagree with ShellGazer. I don't think this episode was about gender differences. The driving force in any other Joss Whedon vehicle (Buffy, Fray) has always been character, not generality. Mal is not representative of Male, and Inara was not loving and gentle with her client because she is a woman.

Inara said, point-blank (for those of you who weren't so distracted by a woman's bare back to stop listening) that she _liked_ being with the Counselor because she could relax and "be herself." However, (and the reason I put the word lesbian in quotes above) Inara was massaging and kissing the Counselor because she was being paid to do so. The reason the scene was there, and was so tender and so long, was not just for the Jayne gag, and not just for ratings, and not just to piss off the religious "right", but to describe the _personal_ relationship Inara has with this _particular_ client, which is how the Firefly crew gets aid from her in the form of, among other things, ear glue.

(Yes, this post is hellla long. Skip it if you're bored, I don't mind.)

Before I get to the torture scene, let me say this: I have a pathological fear of dismemberment, I have seen Reservoir Dogs once, and I will only be able to see it once as long as I live, precisely because someone cuts someone elses ear off.

That being said, as soon as I get my two (or in this case, eight) cents in, I'm going to watch this episode again, because it was that good.

The ear scene is in there because it's real. That is the way murderous gangsters act, and the scene itself was shot tastefully (from a good distance with a bunch of distracting stuff in between you and the knife) and very briefly. It also helps show off what a bad*ss Zoe is. Was it strictly necessary? No. Did it make the show look like it's playing for keeps? Yes. Is that what makes it great? You bet.

Brief summary:
Sex scene: funny, leads to later plot developments in the episode, probably will impact the show later on (it's Joss's show. You know no idea goes unexplored).
Torture scene: I hated it, and loved it, because it makes the show real, and that's why we watch it. If you want pulled punches, watch Charmed.

Also, River: Wow.

Finally, this is a forum for a television show. If you don't like homosexuals, then I don't like you, but I respect your right to be wrong. If you don't like homosexual scenes, and that drove you from the show, shame on you. I hate amputations and struggled through the nausea to enjoy the killer climax. And I agree with everyone who said that it's pretty f***ed to let your kids watch people get shot in the head, but balk at what would be a G-rated love scene if it were one man and one woman.

Please, can we just talk about the show?

I refer to the "banter" between the client and the companion -- I felt more uncomfortable listening to the "oh it's nice not to have to act fake around females and be real" than the actual lesbian scene. (though, clearly both persons are playing bisexual characters)

I was doubtful for a few seconds of the skills of the writer (is this idiot writing this dialogue THAT naive/sexist?)...thankfully, the irony was apparent in hindsight. It's just that topics like these are SOOOOOO easily thrown into the "sensationalism" ratings grab without any careful dialogue.

As for the torture stuff? I really would have appreciated cutting some scenes in so that we could have seen that 'Deleted Scene' instead. But, hey! I ain't the publisher so i'll keep my damned mouth shut now.

hehehe...weeeeeee. what fun...ooh ooh!! more more:
Quote:
Churchmi, you are perfectly welcome to disagree with me. You wrote:
"And I must respectfully disagree with ShellGazer. I don't think this episode was about gender differences."

However, I didn't write that the entire episode was about gender differences. My apologies if that's what you inferred from my posts. The point I was attempting to make was that the scene between Inara and her client served a purpose.

As for contributing to the plot, two more examples:

Later Inara tried to get the Counselor to intervene on Mal's behalf, but was unable to do so. (Kaylee enters to watch Zoe and Wash strap on the guns and announces she has received a 'wave from Inara that the Counselor won't help.) Finally, it was the Counselor who provides the equipment that made it possible for Simon to reattach Mal's ear. Inara's line? The ironic, "It was the least she could do."

Later you wrote:

"The ear scene is in there because it's real. That is the way murderous gangsters act, and the scene itself was shot tastefully (from a good distance with a bunch of distracting stuff in between you and the knife) and very briefly. "

I completely agree with this. It was realistic. One of the things I love about Firefly is that sense of realism. (When people get shot, it hurts. When cows are in the hold, it's messy and smelly.)

However, it is possible that the scenes are "in there" for more than one reason. To show the grisly reality of violence? Sure. How about to demonstrate Mal's endurance? I mean really, he didn't even faint when his ear was sliced off...didn't that make you wonder what might have happened to him in the past? How did he become the man he is now, able to threaten Niska when he could barely walk? But I digress.

Many words to say: I think an episode of Firefly can have many layers; since you and I aren't Joss and Cheryl, we can't be positive about our interpretations :).

-Shell B.

reply#423 wrote:
I don't know about ya'll, but after watching "War Stories" for the 4th time, I finally cracked. I went out and found a lesbian lover and I tortured someone. I am so ashamed. I had no idea that television could have such a profound influence on me.
hehe
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 13, 2002 8:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

IT'S BEEN "CANCELLED"
Definite that there's only going to be another episode shown plus the pilot (shown last)...there's no more episodes being bought by FOX.

As for the comments?
SlashDot (commentor) wrote:
Firefly is a great example of a show that runs counter to every trend on tv today. It is not dialogue driven - instead of shooting two pages of script per minute (like Friends), they're content with shooting maybe a half a page. There is no formulaic bad guy vs. good guy, with predictable special effects climax every episode. It is serial - every episode builds on previous episodes to develop the characters, instead of waiting a few seasons to give each character a defining moment.

Basically, it's a throwback to TV of maybe 40 years ago, with a deliberately slower pacing. As a result, it's pissing off executives, all of whom grew up on MTV and who are twiching for more dialogue, more scenes, more explosions. They don't feel that they're getting their money's worth, thus, lots of pressure on Josh to either change the show, or get quashed.

I only hope someone on one of the cable channels (SciFi, or Showtime) picks up Firefly, so I'll be able to catch the rest of the series when they syndicate it...

Mark my words, eventually all you'll see on network TV is Jerry Springer, Judge Judy, and America's Most Dangerous Police Chases, and the crap that they like to pass off as the nightly news. I only hope that we can limit the brain-damaged execs just to network tv, and keep stuff like PBS and cable relatively uncontaminated.
Nicator
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Dec 15, 2002 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hate fox.

*starts thinking about Futurama again*

*sob*
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Tue Dec 17, 2002 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe we'll get lucky and Sci-Fi will pick it up and continue it.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri May 09, 2003 9:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

<script src="http://ac.prospero.com/ll/lldiscussions.js?webtag=foxfirefly"> </script>

forums over on firefly boards. kinda cute script, eh?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri May 16, 2003 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone ever see "Firefly" episode#2 (bushwacked)?
    short version: There are men who go insane when they stare into the 'VAST' (i know i'm butchering the metaphors, but i did say it was the short version)

Personally, i've read an old sci-fi story that had it's main character almost freak out when they exited their ship and couldn't see a planet.
I guess my point is i too agree there should be less "razzle-dazzle", just because the mystery of the 'VAST' should be palpable (most of the time) when you're in frickin outer space. *g*

long version [spoiler warning!!]: in that episode of firefly (see it on Kazaa for DL) the doc was on the hull of the ship looking in on the action through a porthole, while his sister was smiling at something over her shoulder. The doc turned to look and freaked out when he merely saw the 'VAST' (ie. nothing but deepest darkest space with no reference point)
    i think the theme of the show was everyone needs a reference point, and yer lost if you don't have one (though the sister was "special" and didn't need one; i'll stop there. getting confused)
I suppose the point to explaining all this "offtopic" stuff is that i also disapprove of artists who don't realize the powerful effect of the 'VAST' as much more than merely, "minimalism"

someone once said most of Beetohvin's (sp, sorry) symphonies contained silence (in relation to notes being played)

boolybooly wrote:
To state the obvious its a matter of taste.

The human eye naturaly fears unplumbed darkness of space for two reasons, one is that it is like the night (logically) when the darkness reveals the contents of space (through atmospheric filter mark you) but also obscures the contents of the surrounding brush and savannah of our true homeland, ie darkenss is a time for auditory hyper vigilance and to pheeer the crunchy crackles. The second is that in space you cannot find the bottom and so it also stimulates the vertigo type fear of falling that encourage one to move away from the cliff edge or find a stouter branch to climb.

A very smart and artistically aware developer would use the element of fear that a real portrait of space would invoke in their game to generate atmosphere and yet would find a way to portray the emptiness of space in all its shiney beauty without just boring black with a white pixel here and there or smothered in billowing clouds which you would really not be able to see. Astronauts say it is pretty up there.

Few devs pay as much attention to sound as they do to visuals, but if you are going to mess with darkness (because it encourages teh senses to switch to auditory) and you want to make it work, I think sound is an important element. Positional and high quality sound plus high quality music would help it work.

I think the media generally have a low opinion of the "lowest common denominator" in their audience and so they make the space cosy and colourful like a wall paper. Cant say I blame them, but the first one who makes it look real will get a little kudos I am sure.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: