UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

BaadF00d rants about Farming

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 10:53 pm    Post subject: BaadF00d rants about Farming Reply with quote

more informative than a flame, but i got bored of posting all of baad's quotes in brainstorming forum.
Baadf00d wrote:
Farming is arguably good for the economy. It brings together an *excess* commodity, and allows decay to destroy it.

Decay is - unfortunately - the principle means by which production excess is controlled in this game, without this decay there is little incentive for pilots to move commodities around as pretty much everywhere would be fully stocked.

The flip side of the coin is - farming causes massive inflation. Farming sucks huge quantities of money out of fresh air and gives it to pilots, who then in turn use that money to do things that should not (imho) be possible. They stock stations at huge (million credit) losses - because whats a million credits? They mean that pilots will spend between 20 and 100 mil for artifact gear that - at the steep end of the scale would probably sell for maybe $10 mil at the top end of the scale without farming money poisining the economy. Farming money allows griefers to continue to operate despite huge monetary penalties with neg PRs, and the constant supply of equipment has led pilots to belive that being able to fully stock a ship with the best gear at their home station is a natural right, and boy do they bitch when some RP event interferes with that reality.

Farming is an abomination, the pilots that partake in it are unprincipiled scum. Farming is also inevitable - *any* cargo transaction - or set of transactions - that reduces a stations stock of some commodity by more than 50% will set up an artificial price increase that will encourage the removed commodity to be returned - a farm.

Every cargo pilot with a tow that has departed from a station leaving close to zero units of a commodity remaining - has farmed. Its just - some farms are smaller than others.

On the other hand - any cargo pilot that sees a profit and does not take it - is stupid and is not a cargo pilot. This is our quandry. This is MY quandry. Because - when I get my tow - I will not farm. I will play optimally. If I find these requirements are still in conflict - I will be forced to resign from TRI.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:24 am; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jan 06, 2003 2:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MG general forum thread
started sluggish and flammable, but turned into something worthwhile. It's actually a bit incestuous because Xindaan links/quotes the previous post in this thread, and another over here in UMEC's brainstorming forum. (really should have linked that at the time, but oh well)
    damned economy...the links are breeding like rabbits!
There was also another thread in a wishlist format which had Baad going off...i quoted him here in the UMEC database forum.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Jan 17, 2003 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Timski wrote:
Basic market manipulation for profit would be fine if the economy was more self-balancing. Most things classed as "exploits" involve finding loopholes in the code: Creating money that doesn't exist, and only works because the server has infinite money to give away and isn't clever enough to see that you are making it loss cash for little or no long term benefit. There are aspects of the game that can allow trader types to make high profits which do not rely on the server spawning endless cash for them, such as shortage equipment supply in certain circumstances.

The first approach injects lots of cash into the game from that infinite server supply of credits, rapidly out-balancing it as money becomes so plentiful as to be irrelevant. The second relies far more of pilots exchanging cash, and so is more likely to keep the game in balance, while still allowing certain skilled pilots to acquire wealth.

Anyway, although the method of generation has changed slightly so you'll need to re-assess the method, you'll find cargo missions sadly far easier to manipulate than they used to be. I won't go one, it just gets me flamed...

Farming: Essentially generating profit margins by repeatedly filling and emptying pairs of station markets of specific commodities. It doesn't work so well on EU because volumes of high value commodities are mostly small - consquently other activities are a better use of time. To Xyleth, it does help if the station isn't using the stuff in production, however the amounts used of most things at most stations are pitifully small - you're more likely to loss large stocks to decay rather than production.

ahhhhhh ahhhhhhhh THE LINKS THE LINKS!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Loxly wrote:
bah, Josh has no clue what is goin on in his own game anyway...and right now, making 2 billion MIGHT be ludicrous, BUT when farming was goin on full tilt, evrey faction had 2 farms running, and 2 billion was quite the status quo.
G.Rasputin wrote:
1 bil a farm isn't realistic, but a bil in a weeks time is.

Average 12 mil per run
Average 5 runs per farm
Average 3 farms a day
-------------------------------
180 mil a day

180 * 7 = 1.26 bil in a week

Someone that is a true farmaholic could rake in far more than this on average.
FS_mR_kAt wrote:
Look at the networth on jossh... compare it to the networth on the EU servers... the reason why you have 130 people with over 1 billion credit's opposed to EU's 33 is because of matter farming.

And no... I have no other "hidden" agenda other then to help balance this game (that includes the economy). That is my job and that is what I shall help do.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kami wrote:
This is all very funny. It's not an exploit if you can't be banned for it. Sorry, I don't care what ND says in that regard. If they aren't willing to fix it or punish for it, it's not an exploit.

The only reason people are mad at farmers is because they don't have as much cash and are typically the kind of person who loses cash because of civ ripping and or insurance hits. And half of those, farm in 2nd accounts, which is another non exploit that won't be fixed or banned for, doh.

I could care less. I'm not rich, and I'm not poor. I don't have kills eating at my money either.

Get over it. ND knows the problem and will do what they want to do when they want to do it, for better or for worse is a decision players will make for themselves.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Feb 05, 2003 4:57 am; edited 2 times in total
Nicator
First Sergeant
First Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Jan 24, 2003 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kami wrote:
This is all very funny. It's not an exploit if you can't be banned for it. Sorry, I don't care what ND says in that regard. If they aren't willing to fix it or punish for it, it's not an exploit.

The only reason people are mad at farmers is because they don't have as much cash and are typically the kind of person who loses cash because of civ ripping and or insurance hits. And half of those, farm in 2nd accounts, which is another non exploit that won't be fixed or banned for, doh.

I could care less. I'm not rich, and I'm not poor. I don't have kills eating at my money either.

Get over it. ND knows the problem and will do what they want to do when they want to do it, for better or for worse is a decision players will make for themselves.

Yes, I am mad because people who use exploits to gain cash have more money than me. I'm mad because people take advantage of the fact that people like me have the integrity not to cheat like a little [bleep] to get our cash, and zoom ahead to the land of billionaires by doing sweet [bleep] all work. Grrr.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 07, 2003 8:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ventura wrote:
Rtracer8, I work with all players/squads in learning the game, stocking and running cargo, helping them level, run cargo on contract, supplying artifacts, etc. Long berfore farming, I was always one the of top 25 in game Net Worth. I have been here a long time (look at the Salty Dog list) I can show you how to make about 5 million an hour without farming or stripping stations.

insane
That was a funny read. (see baadf00d's quote i bolded in the first post here and you'll see what i mean.)
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: