UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Allegiance...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts
View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 02, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: Allegiance... Reply with quote

Reference0002
which involves a very nice readup of Allegiance and the open source project the players have formed apparently.
FS_mR_kAt wrote:
The game play in alleg cannot be beat as far as flight sims go. It is pure PvP fun (if you like that sort of thing). Microsoft has dropped support of the game and players now support it (which is a good thing). We several programmers that make regular patches for it and fix balance issues. We even added a new faction and new ships (like a player flown carrier ship... complete with gunners). The community is very close and tight knit as well. The game is free for download (I'll post the FTP server to DL it when it is up) or you can pickup a copy of alleg on ebay. There is no monthly fee (the servers are run by fans of the games... login servers too). The learning curve of the game is steep (like Jumpgate) but is well worth it :) The game has a huge amount of ship classes... from stealth bombers and fighters to capital ships with player gunners. It is quite a cool game...

Oh... here is a link to the community:
http://allegiancehq.org

Okay, so i've never played the game and the link kat gave is dead. anyone help me out? All i've done so far is look at microsoft's trailer and ship pics, plus read a few bits on planetallegiance. nothing much else. la la

oh, and i got some avatars from the sites as well...not to mention some cool faction banners:

Iamweasel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i dont really know what ya want to know for sure, but i can say this was one of my all time favorite games ever. It by and far had the best flight dynamics, and TEAM gameing i have ever seen or found in any game. And i have played alot of games. It was awsome to sum it up in short :-) :jump:
Iamweasel

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

P.S
This is BloodPod by the way just soo ya know :-P :o :razz: :-o eek
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Nov 04, 2002 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi hi booo

uhhhh...is it still active? any sites i don't know of beyond planetallegiance and microsux? download the game from where? Kat alluded to a DL site and that microsux stopped hosting? I'd ask him personally, but i was looking for 2nd opinions.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From an email I received a week or so back...

If you experience any problems loading the site in these next few days if the site doesn't load from http://www.allegiancehq.org you may use http://ahq.mentalhazard.com Sorry for the inconvenience.

-noodleNT

I liked the game, the one problem is you pretty much have to have a joystick or resort to the keyboard. Very team orientated PvP style. Think of it as Tribes in space?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Nov 05, 2002 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ahhhhhhhhhhhh...oic. kat just made a typo with the url. right then. thx

oh. wait a tic, that site doesn't give a DL option for the game...well, i get my paycheque tommorrow so i'll browse the discount shelf for sure. Joystick, huh? i can't play with mouse/keyboard?? That might be a show stopper for me.

hmmmmm...oh well, in the worst case scenario i can always just read about it.
Neofight

PostPosted: Thu Nov 07, 2002 10:18 pm    Post subject: Allegiance Reply with quote

Yes it was one of my all time favorite games as well. I shipped out to the Middle East and forgot my copy. I had some German dude send me an unopened and free copy of the game. I plan on locating the current player patches/servers and checking it out again soon. I'll be back in the land of DSL in a few months!
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Dec 18, 2002 11:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

la la la bump.

FS_mR_kAt wrote:
Checkout Allegiance... if you like space sims it is a must for the hardcore PvPer. The game has a slew of ships from steath fighters/bombers that cloak to capital ships with up to 4 player controled turrets.

http://www.allegiancehq.org

The game is maintained by its player base and new features are constantly being added to it. 2 new factions have been added as well as a host of new ships including a pilotable super carrier. Best of all the game is FREE. PM me for the .exe to connect to the servers. It is a 25 meg DL but that is all you need to get up and running.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tesrend wrote:
Allegiance, a free game to try out to combat boredom
Hey all,

Recently, I found out that Allegiance has finally been recoded by fans and made available as a totally free game. Since Microsoft dropped support of the game this is totally legal and legitimate download.

Allegiance was the original Space Combat Flight Simulator / Strategy game that got me into the MMOG world of Jumpgate. There are 7 different factions each with their own Strengths and Weaknesses and 4 major tech routes that each faction can pursue throughout the game. Allegiance is NOT a persistant game like Jumpgate and each individiual game can take from 10 minutes to 2 hours to play. Allegiance is great for those people who like to blow big things up (like space stations.) Allegiance is a much more teamwork oriented game than jumpgate... IE: No matter the individual pilot skill, if one team has better timing and teamwork than the other team, they will win.

Here is what you need to do to play:

Go to www.alleg.net and download the Allegiance Core

Then go to www.alleg.net/login.html and download SOV login.

Then click the link that says "proceed to Allegiance Authentification System" and register a username. Once you reg a username, YOU MUST ACTIVATE THAT NAME on the authentication webpage before you can access the online servers.

Finally, Use SOV-Login to launch Allegiance. Once you are in game, access the options and be sure to turn "Sound Card acceleration" ON. Apparently, this must be done on 80% of computer systems to avoid crashes.

That should cover it as far as accessing the game. After that I suggest that everyone takes the short in game tutorial to get used to basic commands. I will be playing the game fairly often so if you need help (and you probably will) you can either shoot me a message or ask some of the helpers in the game. (You will note their names to be followed with a @alleg.net tag.)

Allegiance is a very different game than Jumpgate so PLEASE don't get discouraged if you don't find yourself to be an instant veteran. Hmm, I guess that is it for now, if anyone wants an even more in depth discription of what the game is, leave a message here and I will descibe it more fully.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Roleplaying Events & Storyline Posts All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: