UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JumpGate Manual PDF

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 8:19 pm    Post subject: JumpGate Manual PDF Reply with quote

should have done this ages ago, but i thought it was just a cheap clone of JOSSH. my bad. Anyways, much thanks to MightyGames over on the EU server for this:

This is the EU version, but it looks to be a carbon copy of the manual we got in the 3DO boxed version. (it's happy go lucky, and has some major biases, but if you can understand it's naive outlook you'll do fine. it's a fun read)
    BTW, the forum pretty much covers everything you REALLY need to know, so this is just for entertainment purposes. heeeeee

ftp://ftp.mightygames.com/jumpgate/JG-Manual_eng.pdf
If you had trouble loading the image above you'd better right click on the pdf link and save to disk instead of opening by left click.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Nov 25, 2002 10:03 pm; edited 1 time in total
timski
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 4:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I attempted to write a Unofficial Manual Addendum which picks up some of the big changes since the manual was written. The manual is 3MB, so probably best downloaded and then viewed offline.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 1:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

nim wrote:
There are a few interesting bits in the text. One that caught my eye was when our brave recruit sees a TRI recruitment official wearing a badge that says: You ain't hip until you rip Hmmm, I wonder if this is an official TRI position.

Another thing that caught my eye was when the new guy was asked to "choose a faction". Choose a faction, I thought, surely factions are based upon your system of birth. "Pick, choose, what." I wonder if we can safely ignore this.
Yes, for the first it seemed rather indicative of the mood, but it seems strange juxtaposed with the title of "Jumpgate: The Reconstruction Initiative" (seems a little wild-west, doesn't it?)
    you folks might want to check out Firefly. i wrote up an article about this sci-fi TV series by the creator of Buffy, here
As for the second point? well, the problem is compounded by the multiple art of each faction. it's pretty humanoid to the point of holy writ. (just look at all the background and stuff...we all came from a single origin and spread throughout the galaxy and formed a huge FTL empire)

FTL starship technology along with most other techs became nonfunctional after the great collapse...so in that sense we can look back and agree that a single race populating the entire galaxy is a stretch, but not that much.
    I had a thread about each faction being an entirely different race, but decided to merely call it "abstraction"...it's over here
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: