UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

US thinktank ponders it's navel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 8:04 pm    Post subject: US thinktank ponders it's navel Reply with quote

:Read: rant
anyone read the report?
http://www.cfr.org/public/resource.cgi?pub!4681
The number of times they used "public diplomacy" is comical. I didn't know PR spindoctors needed a euphemysm while shoving 'The American Dream' down everyone's throats?

Though i'm curious why the news article this 'Talking Point' is based on neglects to mention "the values of strength of family and religious faith" in the sentence of American Cultural Values, i'm actually more interested why the 'American Dream' isn't referred to...

Personally, i think an institution created just after World War One would hardly be interested in global opinion polls if they're publically surprised noone likes the economic bitter pill they've been forced to swallow for decades...More telling is their blase attitude about the bitterness.

BBC news article
BBC talking point (i wonder if my above comment will make it in there. muaha)

NewYorkTimes (home of jingoism, inc.)

herrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrre's johnny
Hyde wrote:
“America’s story is a compelling one, but it is up to us to tell it. We have much to do, but we must never forget that, beyond the islands of hatred populated by vocal enemies, there is an enormous reservoir of good will and that legions of silent allies await.”
:eyespin:
sometimes i wonder about the jingoism prevalent in the very parochial US demographic...i'm sure most Americans are baffled by foreign hatred of The American Way. It's not the people of the USA that are misanthropic, but the corporate "national interests" hiding behind a government shadow.
talking point commentor wrote:
There is only an image problem if it presents a distorted picture of what is really going on. In this case, I think the image is pretty accurate.
~Bob, USA
talking point commentor wrote:
I would ask the rest of the world not to confuse the people of the US with its government.
~Rachel, USA

Relic Boards link
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 31, 2002 10:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

here's a lively topic about invasion of privacy relating to the post 911 antics of government and PR firms...you won't believe how much brain sweat i wasted on that silly post. ah well, all for a good cause.

I should be repairing the links in Freedatabase forum though. can't believe i spent 6 hours on that post. lol
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Flame War All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: