UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

The Great Purge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 9:40 am    Post subject: The Great Purge Reply with quote

i don't suppose any of you would care to ponder what muffy would do if the links/urls were buggered up? probably not. personally, i think 24hrs notice would have been nice...it's not like i work for them. Hell, if i did work for them i would have DEMANDED 24hr notice, especially if i ran a "newbies please read" thread with about a dozen thread linked that would be impossible to find since i need in most cases to change the name of the thread for clarity. (which is EXACTLY what happened in the old betatest forums)
    the best possible outcome would be a movement to a new forum that's simply locked/readonly...that way no links/urls would be fucked over.
If you knew how many links to the forums are strewn around UMEC's forum threads, you'll realize what a god awful mess i've got to deal with linkage references. (it's not like i have a 3rd party proggie that updates links, you know)
    the worst possible outcome would be me just packing up and leaving without a fuss...i'm sure they'll know i've left...actually, i've sinking quite a bit of money into stuff related to jumpgate. ($28 US/month for about 150 megs + $20 US/month for 2 JG accounts)
don't think i could stand playing a game and avoiding the forums at the same time. *shrug* Oh well, i pray for the best. here's to a "clean slate" (don't think it's anything more than a PR stunt - that better not screw up)

Last edited by MajorFreak on Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:53 am; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 12:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, i just saw it up a bit ago and it looked okay...links are fine and it looks like they want to keep an archive.

Seems to me their intent was to speed up the general forum without deleting the entire forum base. (i've seen it happen before elsewhere)
    actually, i should have anticipated the earlier purge of topics older than march 2002...Muffy tends to be a procrastinator
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uh oh...it's still down with the 505 error. oh dear, i do think savant went to sleep thinking everything was fine then the forum server had a seizure. lol :eyespin:
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

feel special, Muffy, the last post EVER before the archiving was yours; your name will permanently marked on the Last Post section of the Archives.

Ah, immortality. :)
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 11, 2002 6:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

oh god, they accidentally deleted the newbies plz read and the newbie primer. lol insane

*sigh*
Quote:
no rest for the wicked
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2002 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

well, the forums are really siezing up...figure it's only a matter of time till they purge. I'm not exactly done the archive rescue mission yet, and don't expect to finish that anytime soon. (probably will lose a few threads to the next purge, but hey)
    guesstimate time to purge will be just after/before EP2 is officially released
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: