UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Massivly Multiplayer Persistent Space Games.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:14 pm    Post subject: Massivly Multiplayer Persistent Space Games. Reply with quote

Given that Ive quit Jumpgate , I thought I'd look into the competition and see whats out there that has a chance of being the same but better:

Earth & Beyond.
http://ebweb.westwood.ea.com/preview/index.shtml.
Has a Beta Signup. By Westwood studios looks like the worst of the pack with the most point and click, dice roll modifiers based combat system.

Star Wars Galaxies
http://starwarsgalaxies.station.sony.com
Has some sort of beta signup. I tend to disregard it as a contender because it just looks to damn ambitious, everyone is going to want to be a Jedi, & Sony is involved and I just dont like Sony.

Eve
http://www.eve-online.com/
Currently accepting beta applications. Nice graphics at least, but I still ahve no clue as to the gameplay.

Eschaton
http://www.eschaton-online.com/.
Has higher res screenshots than Eve, appears to try to be Eve but more. No beta signup yet.

There dont seem to be any current or upcoming titles - except Jumpgate - that actually revolve around a first person view direct Joystick controlled spacecraft. Argh.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

why the hell do ya think i'm still here? lol
Rainy13
US Advisor
US Advisor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you think I'm not?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:freak:
Burner
Cmd Sgt Major
Cmd Sgt Major

PostPosted: Mon Jul 01, 2002 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

****edit****I've taken a second look and now E&B and EVE are quite good (well atleast for and Alpha for EVE).

Last edited by Burner on Mon Jul 29, 2002 6:49 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 1:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just got an email for the E&B signup. being a silly fool i applied. I'll give you a *muffy review* if they let me in. (short and sweet though. not going to sign my life away again)
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 8:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmm, they seem to be distributing these things far and wide. I got some sort of acceptance too. nothing that indicates I can actually download a client - I merely seem to have been given permission to create a account to access the E&B forums.
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:15 pm    Post subject: same Reply with quote

I really hope that at least one of these holds some promise for the future of UMEC.

I would enjoying being a UMEC's wingman yet once again.

Watching...

Waiting...
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm definitely looking forward to Eve.

E&B I blew off in alpha.
Jegan
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Sat Aug 03, 2002 9:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been in the E&B beta for a long time, but their patches got too big and bent my modem over. :p

I'll repatch and give a updated review when I get my broadband installed in about 2 weeks. :p

Since I graduated from college I lost my modem pool access, so, I've been living on borrowed time from my still in college friends. I'll start flying again when my connection is up and running again.

-Jegan the missing.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Aug 06, 2002 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

my current level of interest in other Sci-Fi multiplayer games duh

mmmmmm...plus i saw something posted by the Kat
Reference0002
which involves a very nice readup of Allegiance and the open source project the players have formed apparently.
FS_mR_kAt wrote:
The game play in alleg cannot be beat as far as flight sims go. It is pure PvP fun (if you like that sort of thing). Microsoft has dropped support of the game and players now support it (which is a good thing). We several programmers that make regular patches for it and fix balance issues. We even added a new faction and new ships (like a player flown carrier ship... complete with gunners). The community is very close and tight knit as well. The game is free for download (I'll post the FTP server to DL it when it is up) or you can pickup a copy of alleg on ebay. There is no monthly fee (the servers are run by fans of the games... login servers too). The learning curve of the game is steep (like Jumpgate) but is well worth it :) The game has a huge amount of ship classes... from stealth bombers and fighters to capital ships with player gunners. It is quite a cool game...

Oh... here is a link to the community:
http://allegiancehq.org

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:14 am; edited 1 time in total
RazorX
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

Location: Muffy went off on somebody and all i got was this lousy T-Shirt

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 3:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

RazorX's EnB review:

After I created an avatar and drooled over the ship customization process, I ruined it by actually "flying" that pretty ship around. Endless and Boring, anyone? The huge "monsters" in space reminded me too much of all the worst Star Trek episodes where they were running from some blob.

The one thing I did like was the tutorial. Learning curve was almost zeroed out.

Anyway, I'm about done with JG. I will be cancelling soon and taking my billion creds with me (like a good little anti-farmer). SWG looks ok, and I truly aspire to be a Dark Jedi Carebear. Right now I am playing the Neocron Open Beta. Not for the faint of heart or those lacking broadband. The client download is 3 files totalling 1.2 Gbytes.

It's like Bladerunner/Shadowrun/Deus Ex/Judge Dredd/random Cyberpunk cliche in a MMORPG. Combat is a combo of stats and a FPS style. And it kicks AO in the groin. www.neocron.com if you have a few minutes while surfing.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Wed Aug 07, 2002 8:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, don't laugh... to be a Dark Jedi Carebear, you will first have to be a carebear, then a Jedi, then fall and become a Dark Jedi :)

Or so the logic goes anyways. SGW developers have declared that Dark Jedi are fallen Jedi, as opposed to a Sith (which is not open to PCs), which may or may not be a Dark Jedi.

I'm looking at Eve, and copying Muffy's gamelist down as we speak. I think ORB is the next soonest release... (end of Aug?)
Venom

PostPosted: Wed Aug 14, 2002 4:59 am    Post subject: EVE all the way for me Reply with quote

I think after looking at the EVE site and number of reviews...I will be handing in my JG tags when it comes out.

HARRR!! The Dark Path even has a corporation set up...I had to join. wink
Skywarp

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 6:47 pm    Post subject: EVE & UMEC Reply with quote

Being mostly a mining corp.. you guys REALLY need to look into EVE.. nough said.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun Aug 18, 2002 8:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Actually, I'm more of an explorer. But yeah, we have our eyes on Eve.

It's just a ways off still :( Nothing close. I can't even play allegiance, because of it's constant crashing.

Not sure there will be a UMEC in Eve though. Guess we should do a rolecall and see how many are interested :)
Alshain
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Sep 02, 2002 3:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeah.... i have been druling over Eve for a loooooooooooong time now. Have a group of friends who will jump in with me the day it goes retail. I look forward to it. :evil:
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 7:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Reference0003
some commentary/critiques of interest. well formatted. good english.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Oct 09, 2002 10:15 am; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

update for the last post i made...my loverboy, frtypoo (i sooooo want his babies!!!)
phichileon wrote:
oh, and for all the daft closeminded fools who think that point & click = fail, try playing some homeworld, try playing some rtcw mp with a js.

imagine trying to steer a battleship or a cruiser(or any game where OMFG the guns are not always shooting OMFG forward only OMFG) in fps mode. it would be like handling a tow with 500 uranium^[bleep]^fail^stupid X wtf.com.
frstkor13

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 9:14 am    Post subject: gfhfghfgh Reply with quote

eve is not a substitute for jg, and jg is not a substitute for eve. they are diff types of games that's all there is to it.

the only reason i would stop playing jg for eve, would be if i simply can't afford both. ;[

eve is a great great game i have watched it from alpha6 to present i think it will be unfathomably pimp.

ps muffy is allowed to have sexual relations w/ me.;[
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Jan 15, 2003 11:48 am; edited 1 time in total
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You boys are SICK!
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Uhhh...Uhhhh... I think I'm blind... 8) ditto wtf
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Oct 01, 2002 10:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good grief! Erk. :-o
Perseus
Private
Private

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, you guys don't know me, well MF does, but that's an old story.

I was going to play Asheron's Call 2 upon release, and hoping to get into beta too, but whilst browsing AC Vault message boards someone linked EVE.

Well, I checked in out, and haven't looked at AC2 since.

I'm really looking forward to EVE. If someone you guys are going, I'd like to tag along ... or you can tag along with me :)

On the official message boards, http://board.eve-online.com/ ... my login is Vapor.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

BaadF00d wrote:
Good grief! Erk. :-o

haaaaaaaaaaaa ha ah roflmao!!! (one shudders to think the author was actually serious)
    actually, it has to be a joke. right? lol!!
insane
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perseus: hiya hiya!! :D So like tell us how Eve isn't point-and-click (PAC)?? We've heard how it's like some degenerate game for retards and carebears.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Wed Oct 02, 2002 5:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ac2 is a public beta atm
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 1:06 pm    Post subject: Star Fleet Battles play a like Reply with quote

Online beta about to open. If you like turn based space combat along the lines of star fleet battles, this might be interesting to you.

http://www.andromedaonline.net/index.html
8_Ball
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Oct 12, 2002 2:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was rooting around on the SWG site and one little item caught my eye. Some of the devs from Privateer and Wing Commander are working the space expansion. Didn't think to get a link and the expansion is probably a year off. But just from seeing that I know I'm going to have to give it a try when it comes out. build up a nice smuggler and buy my own freighter.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: