UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Snap, Crackle and Pop goes eve

Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
CreativeLabsSux

PostPosted: Sat Dec 25, 2004 1:14 pm    Post subject: Snap, Crackle and Pop goes eve Reply with quote

Quote:
The main problem is with people with creative soundblaster cards and VIA motherboards - but developers are usually aware of this problem and code to avoid it.... It's doable - all I want to hear is that the dev's are looking at it and I'll go away happy

I can cope with crashes and the (very) occasional total system lockup - but crackling sound every time I play is just toooo annoying

source wrote:
I had this problem with the Soundblast Audigy 2. I reinstalled the newest drivers and the problem went away. I think it has more to do with the directx drivers than anything else. Whenever a new version of Directx is installed, you should reinstall your video and audio drivers. I've learned this from experience.
source wrote:
Dude.. relax. Sending that file to the EVE support team doesn't help us.

I see from your post that you haven't run the dxdiag audio tests, but you are running a live series card. The first thing you want to do is to run the creative sound test. It should have been installed into your SoundBlaster Live directory.

"C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\CTCplFW.exe" "C:\Program Files\Creative\SBLive\Diagnostics\diag2uda.acc"

After this, if it finds any errors or not, go and run dxdiag again and run through all the Tests for sound under Music and Sound. DirectSound and DirectMusic. I have the hardware acceleration enabled on mine for both all the way, without issues. You can scale that back and see if that helps your audio issue.
source wrote:
Further Suggestions

For diagnostic purposes, try lowering the hardware acceleration of the Sound Blaster Live! * and your Graphics card **.

In the BIOS, under PNP/PCI Configuration set PNP Aware OS to No

Update the systems BIOS.

Disable IRQ steering in the Device Manager (System Devices - PCI Bus - IRQ Steering - un-tick Use IRQ Steering).

* Click Start and select Run. Type dxdiag. The DirectX diagnostic tool will open. Click Sound and select Hardware Sound Acceleration Level. Set down 1 notch, then restart the system. If necessary, repeat the procedure.

** Right-click My Computer and click Properties. Go to Performance and click Graphics. Set down 1 notch, then restart the system. If necessary, repeat the procedure.

Win2000/XP

Windows 2000/XP do not support SB 16 Emulation, and as such, most of the above troubleshooting steps will not be applicable to these operating systems. However, as this problem is usually caused by resource problems or conflicts, we recommend you try the following:

Windows2000:

If your PC configuration is Uniprocessor ACPI PC or Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC, try changing this to
Standard PC.
Both ACPI configurations can be somewhat problematic, as ACPI Uniprocessor PC uses so called Virtual IRQ's (IRQ's higher than 15) and
Advanced Configuration and Power Interface PC tends to put all the PCI devices on the same IRQ (The operating system reshuffles the resource distribution).
The latter may cause a problem for some Windows 2000 systems but is usually fine for Windows XP.

The PC configuration may be changed as follows:

1. Click Start and go to Settings. Click Control Panel and go to System. On the Hardwaretab, click Device Manager

2. Click the "+" sign next to 'Computer'

3. Double-click ACPI Uniprocessor PC/Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

4. On the Driver tab click Update Driver

5. Select the option to display a list of known drivers for the device.

Tick 'Show all hardware for this device class'

From the list, select Standard PC

Relocating the Sound Blaster Live! to a different PCI slot or changing the IRQ priority of the slot are the only possible ways to enable the card use another IRQ.
Resources are allocated at BIOS level and cannot be changed within Windows.

Windows XP:

If your PC configuration is Uniprocessor ACPI PC, try changing this to Advanced configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC.

Both are ACPI configurations, however, ACPI Uniprocessor PC uses so called Virtual IRQ's (IRQ's higher than 15) which can prove problematic for the Sound Blaster Live! card.
The PC configuration may be changed as follows:

1. Click Start and go to Settings. Click Control Panel and go to System. On the Hardwaretab, click Device Manager

2. Click the "+" sign next to 'Computer'

3. Double-click ACPI Uniprocessor PC

4. On the Driver tab click Update Driver

5. Select the option to display a list of known drivers for the device.

6. Tick 'Show all hardware for this device class'

7. From the list, select Advanced Configuration and Power Interface (ACPI) PC

Relocating the Sound Blaster Live! to a different PCI slot or changing the IRQ priority of the slot are the only possible ways to enable the card use another IRQ.
Resources are allocated at BIOS level and cannot be changed within Windows.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (Eve-Online) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: