UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developer talks about economy

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Mon Sep 13, 2004 11:40 pm    Post subject: Developer talks about economy Reply with quote

wrote:
The last major economy patch was extremely simulationist:
(1) Stations only cry for commodities that they use in production.
(2) Missions only move commodities that are used in production at the destination.
(3) No base commodities spawn on the US server anymore. We're already totally mining-dependent.
(4) All production numbers were lowered dramatically from former values, and a basic multiplier in the production system was literally cut in half.
(5) Station pricing was changed such that the price paid by a station that consumes an item is supposed to be substantially higher than that paid by a non-consuming station - which had not previously been the case! I may need to reexamine this code, if there's evidence it's not working.
(6) Equipment has never been able to appear without commods unless manually placed by a GM. It's just that the inventory used for production is not always visible to players. This hidden inventory was created before game release, to prevent "station stripping" grief play meant to hamstring the economy. The hidden inventory is populated directly by things sold to the visible market. If the station needs X, and someone sells X, some X vanishes at once into the hidden inventory, where it is safe until used up in normal production.
(7) Consumption code was created that removes basic stuff in direct response to actual player activity.

I'm actually an advocate of simulationist design, because it builds games that follow consistent rules for behavior that make sense to people, making the game intuitive. The basic problem with truly simulationist gameplay is that it's dangerous: Lots of people aren't here to mess around with a simulation. They want to play a game. A gamist approach is necessary to balance simulationist components, or you can quickly get something that's unplayable or just no fun.

I like a simulation in the economy BECAUSE this game is a simulator. God, to hear the whines from the pvp freaks cause they're no longer independent from their "prey"

oh, poor me, this game is so unfair cause i can't blow shit up all day

It's called Dynamic economy, and it's simulation at it's best. go play Freelancer if you want gamist and swallow the pride about your "simulation"...you know the funniest thing about all the whining? they base their main proposition squarely on the fact there's hardly anyone left. (sorry, come again. someone explain to me when the population was staggering?)
    I hope istvan doesn't lose hope cause people like me seeing stuff like this really brings some hope into the game...unfortunately, there's a little thing called inflation
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

while reenabling 'majorfreak' i noticed the T&C while registering.
Quote:
5. Any accumulated credits, experience points, levels, medals, titles, equipment, commodities, and other such value or status indicators may be reset at any time.

ohhhhhhhh...i so wish wish wish upon a star. But, then i'm the n00b loving sorta guy who's played the game since beta6 without passing level35 (weee...reset as quantar. and again. and again)
Ambrosius
Squadleader
Squadleader

PostPosted: Sat Dec 11, 2004 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Problem is, you're a simulationist and you're not playing. Most of the people who have stuck by the game are the PvPers. NetDevil built JG as a PvP game that had other aspect, and that just isn't gonna change.

Istvan is doing his best to create balance in the experience. Farming cash is not going to go away, but in the current econ, cash is not king. You can only buy one POS . . . and the commods prices are lower. Mega-cash is really a minor advantage at best.

Mining is becoming important to the econ. Equipment supplies are a bigger problem than cash and those are going to start being affected over the next few months.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Gameplay (ie. Content) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: