UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Developer speaks out on Exodus

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:08 am    Post subject: Developer speaks out on Exodus Reply with quote

Zrakor wrote:
The aggro issue I was referring to was that when warping into the first dungeon room, you would warp through more than 1 pirate group, causing massive aggro immediately. Also, your ship would be randomly aligned, depending on where you warped from. Using the new entrance room, or forward point like we tend to call it, this was fixed.

========================

Myyona wrote:
Zrakor wrote:
MinorFreak wrote:
Zrakor wrote:
Also FYI, custom agents do not currently shoot you down for possessing contraband. They do confiscate the contraband and fine you however.
that's incorrect by a long shot. example: I had just grabbed a loot container (pre-exodus) and was shuffling out of Youl system when i warped next to stargate and got a surprise popup...hastily reading it i realized my mistake. while i was reading this i heard a target lock sound coming from the customs agent.

you heard me right. that usually means one thing. now, i didn't take the time to wait patiently for the lock to complete (strange, i'd heard it was instalock) and ejected, saving myself and my partial cargo expander loaded bestower.

you're saying that the custom agent would have merely locked, but not fired? sorry, i don't buy that.
Hmmm yea my bad, the change was the police don't automatically fire at you after X seconds if you don't jettison the goods, now you actually get a popup message. It's still alot safer than it was before though, you won't lose your ship if you simply give the police the right answer.
The message you get from the customs clearly states that they're going to target, warp scamble and jam your ship for your own "convenience". It also tells that you must hand over the items or be fired at. The only thing you have to do is accept for them to take your goods and nothing else will happen. Of course you'll get a fine and the faction standing loss can't be avoided.

i highly doubt it would be possible to jettison contraband before the scan, although the dev could be seen to imply that, i'll just put it down to deliberate ambiguity

Last edited by Heretic on Wed Dec 08, 2004 2:45 pm; edited 3 times in total
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Wed Dec 08, 2004 5:09 am    Post subject: Re: Developer speaks out on Exodus Reply with quote

Heretic wrote:
Zrakor wrote:
Thanks for the feedback, here is my take on it:

In truth neither I nor Papa Smurf had anything to do with the decision to change the old system into deadspaces. However the problem with deadspaces, from the feedback I have read, is not the basic concept about using deadspaces, it's the mini-details in how they are implemented. Such as NPC's not dropping enough loot, close combat setups being nerfed with the mwd change, long travel times. These are all balancing issues. I have complained a few times already to our NPC balancing team about the loot drops, and they told me they will be doing an overhaul on the loot tables (the droprate will probably not change, but the loot that does drop should get better after the overhaul).

The true storyline missions have actually not made it into the game. There was a design decision taken in the begginning of Exodus to focus on the offers and morphing the old missions into deadspaces. This meant there was simply not enough time to implement the actual storyline missions. The "storyline" missions you see right now on Tranquility are in fact the same as the old important missions, with a few minor imrpovements. I know of a couple bugs with them though, where your level 3-4 agent is sending you to level 1-2 'important mission agents'. This issue should be adressed soon.

About the time sink, I've been moving the beacon (entry point) closer to the first pirate group for most of the agent mission dungeons which are out there. Also take note of the fact that in most mission dungeons there are a few groups of pirates. There is never more than 10-30 km between the aggro radius of each group. So even though there may be a 70-100 km distance from the entry point to the final point of the dungeon/room, you still have enemies to fight all the way through. I do not consider that such a bad thing, unless perhaps you are killing them all long range? I could use some more feedback on that issue.

I've also noticed that the difficulty in the deadspaces has been above what I expected, this is mainly due to aggro issues (because we use a few groups per room). I've been working on making this less of an issue by lowering the aggro radius of each group, making it easier to kill one group at a time.

There is also an issue with the deadspace missions being far too frequently dished out. This is a bug in the way they are being dished out, and will be looked at soonish (I hope).

Also by the way, Papa Smurf does not do the code for the deadspaces, so bugs (other than design flaws) should probably be reported elsewhere.

other quotes by this GM:
LP offers
Custom Agents
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: