UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Advanced Mining

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:53 pm    Post subject: Advanced Mining Reply with quote

Active Mining

Active mining is tricky and is easier the better the mining lasers you equip. (range)
  • Cracker (lvl0 quantar base gun) 80m
  • Duster (oct size1) 50m
  • Excavator (sol size1) 60m
  • Broker (quan size2) 80m
  • Banker (quan size2) 140m
  • Financier (quan size3) 160m
Agamemnon wrote:
:2c:
I'm no Uber-expert Miner, but I have learned how to active mine all by my ickle self.

Circular-trajectory mining is pretty tricky to pick up, but once you've got it, you'll rarely use static mining. Not only do you pick up ore faster, but the time seems to slip by quicker, too, as you're actually doing something other than staring at your screen.

The only time I static mine these days is if I'm on the phone, nipping to the bathroom, or having a beer (or looking for my next roid on MyRotacol). Obviously, if you're going AFK whilst mining, you need to keep one eye out for pink radar blips.

Practice on a large 'roid on it's own in the middle of nowhere (and in a station sector for Flux safety), so you don't have to worry about crashing into miscellaneous debris.

Aim your reticle well above the target roid and accelerate to a comfortable speed (I started off at about v10 - 15, and now average v25 - 40). Your trajectory should be such that you don't hit the roid, but it is in range of your laser. As the roid passes under you, kill the thrust and aim your lasers at the surface until you start sparkling.

Start using thrust as the nose-downward pitch of aiming process causes the drift arrow to point directly up and turn yellow. With constant attention to pitch, thrust and velocity, you can orbit the roid comfortably at over v10.

Sometimes you'll end up with an elliptical orbit, but "pulsing" the throttle should restore the circle. It all comes with practice.

I use the drift arrow, and try and keep a tiny sliver of purple showing at the base of the yellow cone, the head of the yellow arrow pointing upwards. Try and keep it vertical with roll to avoid getting confused with drift. Watch the length of your laser: Decelerate if it gets shorter, accelerate if it gets longer, but only by small amounts. Too much throttle will send you straight towards the roid. Aim at the "top" of the roid surface and tweak your throttle to keep it that way. If you drift away slightly, you can also correct by aiming lower on the roid surface, tightening your orbit.

You should be orbiting the roid at about 1/2 - 2/3 of your mining laser's range. This gives you enough leeway to react to under- or over-steer.

Practice emergency procedures (in Sim if necessary) so you don't panic when you give your ship too much throttle and head directly for the roid. If you're orbiting correctly a little pull up and a touch of throttle should send you away from the roid. You can then drift, brake, and come back for another run.

Good luck. If you find me in-game and I'm mining, feel free to say hullo and come and watch. As I say, I'm no expert but feel free to learn from what I am able to show you!

THE ROTACOL ~Hamalzah's gift to Quantars

Basically, if you're in a sector where you've got roid coordinates and you've got a ModX "rotacol" equipped (it's purple and looks like a pepper grinder; pic shown above) all you do is hit a chat channel button (F1-5) and enter "/rotacol x y z" (without the quotes; The coords need a space between each with or without decimals...if you use a comma make sure you leave a space after it!) THEN you simply cycle until the rotacol waypoint shows up.

I'll repeat:
#1: make sure you've got a rotacol equipped
#2: be in the sector you want to mine that you've got coords for
#3: press chat channel and enter /rotacol 4 -20 6 (or whatever)
#4: cycle next target until rotacol waypoint is displayed
    Let me stress that you need spaces between x y and z; Let me also point out that you may use decimals if you wish to, but it's optional.
You will find the rotacol program & coordinates here: www.myrotacol.net
    Or you can grab an old betaversion if yer feeling nostalgic, heredisclaimer: a couple of sectors have obsolete rotacol numbers (corridor and ekoo's stop, but i believe the rest are the new format)
    Quote:
    TRI pilot bOB just sent in the following story:

"Several months ago I started working on a new feature for JGRoid, but never got around to finishing it. So I figured now was as good a time as any to finish it and sent it on its way. The only major change is a "Find Distance" function. This function allows you to enter your current rotocal coordinates. Once you hit "Find Distance", the program will determine the distance between you and each of the roids in that sector and list them starting with the closest. All numbers used are in the same units as those used by the rotocal (in 1000´s I believe). This will be of most use if/when the Devs ad the promised waypoint function to the rotocal.

If you have any questions or suggestions, you can email me."

BTW, here's a decent explanation of the math involved if you're wondering what the distance between rotacol coords are (without having to be there)
    Code:
    Distance Formula
    dx = Ax-Bx
    dy = Ay-By
    dz = Az-Bz
    distance = sqrt(dx*dx + dy*dy + dz*dz)

Example using formula.
                X   Y  Z
    Coord A is 30  29 10
    Coord B is -12 13 20
    dx = Ax-Bx     dy = Ay-By    dz = Az-Bz
    42 = 30--12    16 = 29-13   -10 = 10-20
         dx*dx + dy*dy +   dz*dz
    sqrt(42X42 + 16X16 + -10X-10)
         1344  + 256   +  100
            square root of 1700 = 41.231 or 41231 meters   

Anyone who CANNOT obtain a rotacol should goto this thread
. There you will find "Team Ekoo"'s data for non-rotacol navigation. (used a "starchart" technique which kinda sucks in storms)

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:16 pm; edited 2 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Mar 17, 2003 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Active Mining Movie (updated) -- base resolution of 800*600*32 3d text; triplebuffer; particles...FRAPS clipped this to 640*480 (90megs)
    TMPGenc.exe set to MPEG-1 quality (750kbytes)
    Video-CD NTSC (MPEG-1 352x240 29.97fps CBR 1150kbps, Layer-2 44100Hz 224kbps)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 02, 2003 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RoidMasking
For those of you who don't know, there is a better way to cloak your ship from player radars than those powerhungry ECMs. It's called "roidmasking" and what it does is completely block anyone from targetting you unless they are REALLY close (<1000m)
    haven't completely tested all the ins and outs of this so i'm unsure about medium,small roid mask ability, nor am i sure about tows being masked against large roids. what i DO know is that stations, and beacons and other objects are specifically coded to not cloak you (to prevent some kind of exploit i'm not really too clear on, but ND seems to think si teh evil!)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GROUP MINING
Miquant wrote:
About that group mining...
Okay, the Burgler is available.

1) you need to install insight and burgler to transfer goods from a ship
2) while someone gets bounty when stealing, squad mates *don't*

It is said that point 2) is especially implemented to enable group mining.

So, how would group mining work ? As for now, I can think of this: Let say, we want to mine some dangerous area as a squad. Some peeps go into heavy fighter and equip 1 big mining laser. One member goes with tow, having insight/burglar and one weapon installed. The HF then mine small amounts of ore, deliver to the tow (= are beeing "burglared" by the tow), and so on... In case some heavy flux appears, all the fighters attack, protecting the "ore ship"... Any other scenario ? Comments ?

Miquant wrote:
Back on topic: Group mining
CrashBang and myself did some testing today. One HM (2 Thorn, Financier) as miner, 1 TOW (2 Insight, Burglar, Scanner) as ore transport to POS (for refinement). Here is a wrap up of what we have so far:

Scanning

Range of the scanner is about 200. When scanning your squad mate for ore, fractional parts do *not* show up. E.g., a "0.7 semiflux, 0.3 radioactive" cargoload will show up as empty cargo to the scanning pilot.
Having a scanner installed is quite comfortable for the "ore collecting" ship. You can check when you got all the cargo from your target (well, ok, you could just ask, too).

Transfering Ore

Range of the Insight/Burglar is about 75. Transfer time für 1 unit ore was about 6 sec with ONE Insight, about 3 sec with TWO of them. Mining one unit of ore from a fresh roid takes about 6 sec, too (1 Financier) but slows down over time. So, roughly counting in travel times and things, one Insight should be enough for a 1 miner /1 transport combo (might even work with 2 miners, if the transport ship is collecting ONLY, not traveling to a nearby station).
Building up an "ore chain" works: Ship1 mining, ship2 burglaring ore at the same time. If you get bored, try active chain-mining (mining ship circling the roid, ore transport circling the mining ship. Woooohoooo)

Mining and flux

In case only one Insight is used, the ore transport can defend itself. If a TOW's two slots are used for Insights, the TOW should stay nearby the miner, thus beeing defended by this (mostly empty and still maneuverable) ship.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jul 06, 2003 5:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Incredibly detailed roid drain stats
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:36 pm    Post subject: FTP transfer complete between mindphyre and razorskiss Reply with quote

offtopic
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: