UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ship Builds Thread.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:45 am    Post subject: Ship Builds Thread. Reply with quote

Building ships that "work" is a bit of a problem for newbies in EVE. there are so many peices of equipment available, combined with ships of varying capability.

So, if anyone has what they think is a "well" built ship, feel free to post the build here, what its used for and how it works.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 7:57 am    Post subject: Gallente Frigate: Atron Reply with quote

The Atron is a cheap frigate, which shoudl be easy for a newbie Gallente pilot to obtain with merely a Gallente Frigate II training requirement.

Ship: Atron - base stats
CPU: 100
PGrid: 20
Slots--
Low: 2
Med: 2
High: 2 (2 turret)
Velcoity: 325
Cargo: 125
Drone: 50

A minute amount of power, not a lot of cargo. My build is aiming to get this puppy into a usable state of level I kill missions.

Equipment (all available as level 1 loot or on the market):
2x Light Ion Blaster I (CPU: 30, PG: 12)
1x Small shield booster (CPU: 25, PG: 2)
1x 1MN Afterburner (PG:6)
2x Overdrive

This build requires training to Mechanic I & Shield Operations I. As an option a Civilian Shield Booster obviates the need for Shiel Operations and is FAR more gentle on your capacitor.

The Light Ion Blaster I's are chosen. First, Gallente get racial Hybrid weapon bonuses on their ships. Second, the idea is to use the ships speed to close distance fast and try to outmanuver the opponent while using high tracking speed high damage guns. 2 Ion Blaster I's use almost ALL of a Atrons Powergrid, with the other equipment listed using 100% the rest.

With the Overdrives the ship attains a cruise speed of 560 on Afterburner. The idea is to get in close, orbit your target at as close to 500 meters as possible, and let go with whatever hybrid ammo you can lay your hands on.

Find a level 1 security agent, and run kill missions!

Last edited by BaadF00d on Fri May 14, 2004 11:43 am; edited 1 time in total
Shear
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 8:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

While not quite as efficient as the Tristan, the Maulus is a decent lvl 1 Frigate.

I've built it with two 125mm hybrid railguns, and one civilian booster. I can run lvl 1 combat missions with barely a scratch on my shields (just keep the enemy at 15km), and it's fast enough to comfortably run transport missions for admin agents (with enough cargo space).

With 175 cargo it's hardly a solo mining ship, but a couple of lasers and a patient hauler, it could be fairly effectively used in a mass mining operation.

The advantages over the Tristan are the speed, price, requirements, targeting range and cargo/drone space. It also has MUCH more CPU. Disadvantages are power, armor, shields and targeting time.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri May 14, 2004 12:46 pm    Post subject: The Sniper Tristram Reply with quote

Having lots of CPU handy is utterly useless. What you want is 0 CPU and 0 PG left over once youve finished stuffing your gear in. Or at least, 0 of one, and not very much of the other. Gallente ships are for the most part not CPU limited in newbie configurations.

The sniper Tristram is built around having 2 150MM rails as its primary armament as these are the longest range weapon that can be packed onto a Frigate class ship.

The Tristram has 125 CPU, 35 PG, has 3 lo, 3 med and 4 high slots (2 turrets, 1 launcher) goes 245 m/s, carries 140 m3 cargo and 100 m3 drones.

High Slots:
2x 150MM rails using 50 CPU and 28PG.
2x empty
Medium Slots:
1x After Burner
1x Small Shield Booster I (or II)
1x empty
Lo Slots:
3x Overdrive / your choice.

The 2 rail guns use up 28 of 35 PG leaving 7 PG over. The small shield booster and after burner consume 8 - this build requires at least Engineering I to scratch out a few more points of powergrid - or some other source of boosted power.

The two rail guns have a basic range of 12,000 meters. Iron Ammo has a 60% range boost to get you to 19,200 meters optimal.

Most level II rats have a range < 20km, so this build puts you right on the edge - you can snipe them but they cant damage you. There is unfortunatly no "Orbit at 19,200" option, only 15K and 20K, so to actually hit particularly hardy level II rats youre going to have to take hits yourself. Either hope that the shield booster is up to the task, OR invest in the "SharpShooter" skill. Sharpshooter I boosts this ships optimal range to 20,160 with hybrid iron ammo. (Sharphooter V would get you a 24K range with 150MM rails firing Iron ammo! )
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 1:04 pm    Post subject: Would you like an MWD on the side with that? Reply with quote

Supersize it! Well, include an MWD - maybe two. MWDs are great - a 500% boost to ship speed, but have some drawbacks - namely, while using one, you become really easy to hit.

This brings us to the Advanced Sniper Tristran:

Hi: 250MM rails x2
Med: MWD, Cap Rechargers
Lo: Reactor Control Units & Capcitor Power Relays as needed

Tactics: MWD Orbit your targets at 15km to 25km. Shield boosters arnt needed. Speed and range are how you avoid damage.

With the new falloff calcs, you can probably orbit as far as 30km using Iron Ammo.

This should work for all rats up to 15,000 isk.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 24, 2004 2:04 pm    Post subject: Frigate Laser Considerations. Reply with quote

When equipping an Amarr Frigate - or any frigate - with laser class weapons, it is very possible that the Medium Pulse Laser (and named variants) will outperform the Medium Beam Laser weapons.

On paper the Medium Beam laser should be the better weapon - there is a clear progression curve: it has the higher fitting requirements and damage mod, range etc. However the better weapons are given a slightly slower rate of fire, which, when figured in gives the Medium Pulse weapons a damage advantage :-

Medium Pulse has a 2.5X damage mod, with a 3.5 second. ROF delay.
The Medium Beam has a 2.75X mod with a 4.0 delay.
This gives the Pulse an effective 0.71X damage per second, with Beam a 0.69X. Coupled with the lower cap usage, lower fitting and higher ROF the medium Pulse is a clear winner on all fronts except range - the pulse laser has half the range and falloff of the beam weapon.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Jun 29, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

after 30 days i had enough skill for doing indy runs with a freighter, MWD equip ability plus high level in refining and finally cruise missile skill...allowing 60km standoff capability.

GOTTA LUV REARMING YER LAUNCHER FROM CARGO. *sighs about JG possibilities*
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 05, 2004 9:38 pm    Post subject: Lasers vs Railguns Reply with quote

DO NOT STUFF ABOUT WITH RAILGUNS!

I have as a Gallente learnt this lesson the hard way.

This does not cover PvP builds, but when hunting rats, in my Gallente ship with a 25% bonus to hybrid weapon damage - I find that lasers are more effective!

Seriously.

This may change if/when the wierd tracking rate calculations are fixed, but the essence of it is, with 5 dual 150mm railguns in my throax - fitted expressly for their large (For rail guns) tracking rate, I cannot hit frigate rats closer than 14km at all, and up to 20km I miss a lot unless im stationary. Past 24km I start to miss as Ive outranged the iron ammo. This puts the actual window that I can engage enemies at as very small and the iron ammo used to make that small window possible does crap damage - even with my "Cruiser IV" - 20% damage boost to hybrid weapons.

Enter my "new" throax with 4 medium beam lasers. I found a modal and 2 afocals in supply, which boosts the damage and range on some a bit and reduces the cpu requirements - not powergrid unfortunately which is where im suffering. Not being an Amarr ship the Thorax does not natively have the PG needed to run a full set of even midrange lasers.

Nonetheless, even with 1 less hardpoint, the medium beam weapons can relaible strike rat frigates that are as close as 5km quite reliably, ranging up to 20km with the horrid selection of crystals I have.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The cheapscates Scout

The Amarr Punisher has the most cap of any of the frigates and thus, while not the fastest of the frigates, has the potential to be the fastest over a long enough distance as its large (relative) cap means that you can - with the right skills - equip and run dual 10mn MWDs for as long as you want.

The crucial skills to get this build working are:
Electronics & Engineering - just to get the basic PG and CPU needed.
Energy Grid Upgrades - to plug in cap rechargers.

And then, these skills to run the MWDs indefinately:
High Speed Manuvering - reduces MWD cap usage
Energy Systems Operation - increases cap charge rate.
Energy Management - boosts capacitor size (and indirectly the charge rate).

The basic build is:

Hi Slots - empty
Med Slots - 2x 1MN MWD
Low Slots - Cap Relay I's
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Uber Punisher

Speed is life. This punisher equips a 10MN afterburner which leaves it with very little powergrid.

Lo -
Micro Aux Power unit.
Power Diagnostic System
Small Armor Repairer
Cap Relay / <free>

Med -
10 MN Afterburner
Cap Rechargers / <free>

Hi -
Gattling Pulse Laser (multifrequency)
Micro Smart Bomb

Skills -
Engineering V

--
This ship can do all level I and II kill missions. Orbit in to 15km. Activate the AB, and orbit your target at 2.5km.

The Smartbomb might help if you dont have the Y-S8 hydrocarbon named 10MN AB, and can't outrun missiles. The armor recharger is a failsafe - you can take a bit of damage while closing in, but once in your orbit the rate of damage is low. You should have enough shield to last any encounter.

There is 1 free mid and free low slot that I have filled with cap rechargers. However, with sufficient Energy Management and Energy Systems Operation skills, you should NOT have a problem running this ship with everything on. In which case remove the cap chargers and replace with heat sinks, tracking computer or armor plating. The mid slot I dont know what else other than a cap charger will fit in the tiny amount of free PGrid.

Its fun, and may be nerfed soon.

Last edited by BaadF00d on Mon Sep 06, 2004 9:13 am; edited 1 time in total
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Aug 29, 2004 11:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hybrids Revisited - the Long Range Rax

This thorax build is about damage. Thats not quite true - this thorax is about ranged damage. As much damage as can be dealt from the longest possible range. This build can do level III kill missions

Hi -
5x 250MM railgun

Med -
10MN MWD
2x Cap Rechargers / free

Lo -
4x RCU
Tracking Enhancer / free

Drones -
your choice

Depending on your skills, you will want to select the two ammos that give you the longest range, and just above 30km. I am using iron for 48km optimal, and lead for 30km optimal.
This ship has no self repair or tanking capabilities at all. That does not matter as nothing you meet in a level 3 kill mission can touch it - as long as you pay attention and maintain optimal range at all time.

Depending on the range of the opposition, most rats cant shoot past 30km - you can either get in close (to 30km) and give them hell. If they can damage you that close, move to 50km and use the iron - which is still - when delivered from 5x 250MM guns - pretty devestating.

The cap rechargers are really not necessary I suspect that there are two mid slots available. Im using a tracking enhancer in the free low slot, as without it, my iron optimal was about 46km.

(Of course, feel free to use any tech II or named modules to improve the build. This is the minimum configuration that works - there is much room for improvement).
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sat Oct 02, 2004 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmm...i think i'll start a new thread. let's keep the "stream of consciousness" distinct to avoid vertigo.
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Maller - the ultimate ratter.

The Maller has loads of low slots and high slots. The long range rax is clumsy in the harder level III kill missions. Even though the MWD can operate pretty much indefinately, picking up cargo spread over 100s of km after a mission like Beserk or Mordus is a pain. Also, I found I tended to run out of ammo on harder level III missions. Mordus can easilly consume 1000 odd units of Iron M.

To solve these problems, we go the other way. A ship that has enough resistances and armor to simply absorb loads of damage, and sufficient firepower to destroy its opponents before that massive armor tank runs out. Oh yes - and it uses lasers for the purposes of economy and convenience.

The Maller is the ship of choice. Loads of Powergrid, CPU and CAP, and its made by those laser using Amarr.

Hi -
5x Medium Pulse Lasers.
1x Medium SB or NOS

Med -
1x 100 MN AB
1x Med Cap Battery
1x Cap Recharger

Lo -
1x Med Armor Repairer
1x Heat Sink
2x Cap Relays
2x Energized Armor Plating.

There is a LOT of flexibility in the configuration of this ship. The critical components are the frigate sized pulse lasers for damage, and the armor repairer and armor coatings. All of the capacitor stuff can be cycled out for other modules as your skills permit.

Variations of the build include:
1. running dual 10MN ABs - the battleship sized 100MN AB might become impossible at some point.
2. using 2 small tech II repairers. Obviously the entire ship can benefit from tech II stuff, tech II repairers will make the PG and CAP start to look a little tight, running small repairers lets you run just one on autorepeat leaving sufficient cap for guns.
3. The armor coatings really depend on your location & situation. You WILL want to be able to adjust your coatings depending on your mission parameters. vs. sansha you need to harden against lasers, so use thermal and em platings. Explosive platings are good if you think youre facing missiles.
4. Use a Nosferatu instead of a smartbomb to keep the capacitor going.

The idea is really simple. Warp in to 15km. Target and approach. Try to remain unconcerned as your shields dissapear faster than you can blink. Become slightly less concerned when you see how slowley the armor is ablating. Turn on the repairer(s). Destroy the rat spawn starting with the easiest to kill first as thats the quickest way to cut down on damage. The pulse lasers will hit even frigates within 5km, so dont be shy, get in close and perhaps use a medium nosferatu to help your cap out.

Exceptions to this strategy - when doing mordus - warp in to 60km to give the spawn time to split apart. This lets you deal with the webber/scrambler interceptors before the rest of the initial spawn arrives.

the AB(s) are not used to keep range - they are used to speed your approach if your next target is too far away, and to help with the looting.

In terms of crystals. I use gamma due to the damage, and the optimal range is 8km with the basic unnamed medium pulse lasers - which is easilly attained. Use Microwave for longer range if needed, but you can afford to use short range crystals with this setup.

--
Notes on ship speed. In the cruiser class - but you can scale this down to frigate... a 10MN MWD gives a 500% max speed boost. Because cruisers have 1/10th the mass of battleships (about) the 100MN AB provides a 350% speed boost. Dual 10MN AB would provide a 82.25% speed boost. Not brilliant, but close to 2x base speed.

It is going to be a sad day when oversized ABs are made impossible :/

Last edited by BaadF00d on Wed Nov 17, 2004 7:12 am; edited 1 time in total
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto i prefer webbers myself
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: