UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Starting up for first time?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 1:36 am    Post subject: Starting up for first time? Reply with quote

well, since i'm dead bored and everyone's either busy, fucking someone else, or working...plus i'm sick of my old games, i'm gonna be a n00b again. Since the European-based server (the only other one besides the US-based) only takes CreditCard payments i'm going to start up again.

now then, let's see...

#1: http://www.jossh.com/download/JumpgateUS_Installer_10062-lite.exe
#2: while that's downloading i think i'll pop into the registration process and take a gander for what info i need for payment. (i have paypal, but not sure if the US-server takes that anymore)
US-based server wrote:
NetDevil accepts most major credit cards, and several alternative forms of payment such as direct debit, check, money order, PayPal, Citibank's C2it, wire transfer, Western Union, and others via www.paybycash.com

...well, who cares about that so i'll enter my callsign, password and (hehe) my CD-key i got from a box in the discount bin for $5.00 NARF!So, yeah i love mining so i'll pick Quantar (quick levelling up when you've got a handy dandy starchart you can use: http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?topic=162 )

greeeeeeeat. i get an error message:
Quote:
Confirming CD Key
Verifying CD Key: xxxxxxxxxxx ...
[NOTE: DO NOT MANUALLY RELOAD THIS PAGE! Manual reloading of this page will cause your CD Key to be permanently lost]

PROBLEM OCCURED:
There was an HTTP error verifying your CD Key, status='500'.
Please contact pilot_support@netdevil.com with this error message to complete your registration.

pfffffft!

meh. it's dinner time. screw this, i think a friend's going to invite me over to her place
RazorsKiss
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Thu Jan 22, 2004 4:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. I don't think any of the cd keys are valid anymore.
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2004 1:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto yup. hey! i just got paypal working again. might see you in US server sometime...like now, because paybycash got my verified bank account payment via paypal!! Got JG downloaded & installed; downloaded dyson's customized HUD config from here; downloaded JGtracker from here; downloaded JGrot from here...and finally i downloaded UMEC's customized keyboard config for mouse/keyboard (no scrollwheel) from here
click pic for details.

Then, i added www.jumpgateweb.com , http://forum.mightygames.com (EU server; just to keep up on the european hot topics), http://forums.jossh.com and http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB to my favorites.
    if i really was a total newbie i'd go read this thread: http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1408 ...which, actually, i DO need to read because setting macros so you can say, "hiya, from ship blah, i salute you blah" with a hotkey.
k...so 4 things right off once i log into Quantar Core: (1) configuration of equipment, especially that unequipped docking modx that needs slotting...so what, it's good practice for config/equipping (2) macro setting while still at dock & comm channel knowledge before you take off (and that text box you input stuff is on the bottom inflight) (3) mission destinations (most important to check map) & types of missions to choose from (4) political rating knowledge & what happens when you fail missions.

Then it's off to gain credits and levels to get some basic gear. I just equipped that docking modx, forgot about the macros, chose a mission with QC destination and picked the mining mission type and luckily the level3 was ICE so picked that and then launched. (headed for Omni IV and jumped into that sector)man, taht starchart was hard to read. hmmm...another thing i remembered is that stopping one's roll manuever is best handled by the "center key" (which would be keypad1 on my config)

Gear is easy for quantar at low levels: hopefully, you'll be able to purchase some cheap, low level gear that's got the bang for the buck. best way to sort the list is to choose the "level" filter (contender PP; TWO (2) money engines; hallmonitor radar; mirror camera)
    course, someone's always throwing around credits for the n00bs but still these are the best gear anyways for your level at this point that you can buy yourself and thus insured (except the modx)
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 06, 2004 5:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

US works with CCs too, Muffy.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Sun Feb 08, 2004 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

ditto
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

offtopic Heh... You should have heard Istvan when he found out you were Heretic. I can't quote because of NDA, unfortunately. :headbang: :E

Anyway... Hope to see you in space, bud! HELP

Oh, and any concerns you may have about the current state of JG, let me know. I'm curious what "new improved" or "old rehashed" thoughts you may have.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Feb 10, 2004 7:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FLUX
well, i do like the flux spawns now...no more crazed swarms. It's acceptable, even though i sorely miss the days of olde (jan2001) where NO flux spawned in sectors adjacent to QC. (i'd still prefer having zero spawn in core stations with only jelly spawns in adjacent)
    though, by improving missiles those n00bs just might be able to beat a flux away while mining
CHAT
I do like the fact f5:chat is populated with the spammers and f5:help is just that. It's quiet, but by Hamalzah that's what encourages n00bs to ask questions.
  1. n00bs just won't talk to condescending technobabble throttle jockeys
  2. technobabble throttle jockeys think silence means agreement
  3. mentoring n00bs is hard work
  4. peace and silence is fucking great - one gets time to do one's own thing for a while
GEAR
I love the cyclone now. unf unf...the tweaks to the gear is just damned cool.

MISSIONS
kinda wish patrol/scout were made more attractive as options for efficient XP/cr gaining...but these are old thoughts recycled. (kinda miss the rising star, etc, medals being hard to obtain also)
    though, with all the various ways of gaining XP/cr missions have sorta taken a backseat...which is sad in itself, but acceptable
*shrug* Well, i'm back as "MinorFreak" in Arcadians squad burning the midnight oil
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Wed Feb 11, 2004 2:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I saw MinorFreak and immediately thought of you, but at that time I thought you would *never* come back. :) I'm still floating around the cosmos, and seriously considering joining ND... Well, as HTH. :)-

Yeah, how do you set up a leveling treadmill without killing the n00b base? They've had 3 straight months of n00b increases, but not sure how many of these are old players coming back or real new players.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Thu Sep 16, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*twitch*

muffy does, "how to re-enable one's account" FAQ

well, first step is to see if "minorfreak" has been purged. http://www.jossh.com/jgeng/PilotViewer.aspx?list=m yuppers. i'm gonna try and create as 'majorfreak' then.

okay, scratch the re-enable FAQ then. Since i've still got JG installed (both server versions; custom huds and controls) all i need is to register and pay my first 3 months via paybycash.

step 1: http://www.jossh.com/join_today/sign_up/index.html
  • majorfreak
  • account password & email
  • QUANTAR
  • read the T&C's and hit accept after getting bored halfway through
step 2: using alternate payment method. *sigh* sense time out coming on...phew..just lag.
  • click the sign up for jumpgate on the paybycash site
  • choosing the paypal choice
https://secure.paybycash.com/orders/no_paypal.asp
WHAT THE FUCK!!!?!?!?!

okay, whatever. i've got my tax returns back so i can reenable my credit card and pay direct without going through goddamned thirdparty crap.

problem is my pilot name's now triclassified. need to figure out WTF needs to correct that
  • ah, support
  • reactivate cancelled account
  • sign in to edit account
  • reactivate button (says i'll lose my 10 free days. whooopie)
  • get to stage 2 of payment options. la la
might as well patch up and see what's changed. good around in the offline simulator and create ship data. that'll take up loads of time, cause i forgot my online banking password and BMO's reps are sleeping.

*muffy goes into directory and clicks on 'patchit.exe' and discovers he's still on patch 87*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Gameplay (ie. Content) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: