UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Conflux Fighting (re: powerlevelling)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Feb 02, 2002 11:34 am    Post subject: Conflux Fighting (re: powerlevelling) Reply with quote

Major Holdridge wrote:
Sometimes it is entirely appropriate to kill a fly with a sledge hammer.

Killing Flux is the first powerlevelling choice for powergamers. The second is political ratings, and the third are your skill medals. (there's another option and that involves mining *g*)

============================
CONFLUX 101
============================
Okay, first off this is about combatting normal AI monsters (ie. the ones with artificial intelligence, not the sentients whose sentience is questionable.)
    see here for sentient FAQ
Corrish wrote:
The New Dawn, a US Squad fighting Conflux, has published an updated flux spawn map.
They state this is still a beta version. You can find their "Guide to hunting conflux", which also contains fighting tactics for the would-be flux hunter at www.confluxwar.net
Muffy Edit: (old conflux spawn map: c1-10 map.) BTW, i'm not really sure if this applies to both the US and EU servers. i asked this question on New Dawn's forum here.

What are the Conflux? They are computer controlled "enemy pilots" that attack anyone in a sector (though they do not follow you once you travel through a jumpgate.) What do they look like? Here is a graphical display of them. (am working on getting someone to do a group photo) What is the official data on these creatures? Here is the report on JOSSH and here is the database entry.
Who are these conflux? *IC* (in roleplay/storyline context): Go here
=================
LASER WPNS 101
=================
  1. I suggest you quit the online game (ie. log off) and start the offline mode (don't log in)...
  2. once you're in the offline mode, buy the gear you just did. (don't forget your camera modx)
  3. once geared up, launch and enter this chat command line "/ai" (without the quotes). This will spawn one enemy conflux.
  4. Fly directly at it (like you were ramming it).
  5. once you're within 2000m, cut your thrust to zero -- hitting brake for a fraction of a second does the job and keep facing the conflux
  6. The range on your gun is 1000m. begin firing at it constantly as it passes you. the conflux will turn around and do another attack run. It will go out of range, so make sure you don't waste shots (gun accuracy is a nice stat to have once you get out of the simulator and into the real thing)
  7. Once you get any conflux to 70% shields it will attempt to dodge as soon as you hit it again. at any time.
  8. You'll do this until it explodes. You'll take shield damage, and maybe armour damage as you learn how to aim.
  9. ZOOM function is highly advisable
    The best way to aim with a laser is to shoot at the nose of the conflux. It'll take some practice, but you've got all the time in the world in the offline mode You can do this in the online simulator too, if you want. just select "individual conflux" mode when you turn on the simulator menu option...only reason i suggest against is that you save on duty hours which is important to keep low so you can get the "levelling quickly" medals
  10. Speaking of the online sim mode...Once you're ready quit the offline game and start your normal logon procedure, then use the ONLINE simulator 'individual conflux' zone to practice your combat techniques with Lasers to show you what it's like fighting conflux other than C1 squid.
  11. Avoid cannons & targetting computers for now, the Modx are uninsured and TC's are VERY expensive
    aiming ammo guns without TCs is considered a little too gungho for most *g*
    Besides, cannons are too expensive and need too high a level to buy if you're a n00b, anyways
    "Killing conflux"...Well, at this point i'd like to explain another crucial point of etiquette: flux hunting. When you see a purple blip on radar that doesn't mean it's free for the taking. Best way to tell if it's "yours" is if it's pointing your way.

That's a conflux aimed at you. if someone else shoots it they're a moron, even if they "ask" before hand...don't shoot the thief though. that's just stooping to their pathetic level. BTW, it's not real smart engaging more than one conflux at this time. you'll need better speed and weaponry than what you have now.

Whenever you kill a conflux in real space you'll receive a bonus for the kill. (Below images linked courtesy of NewDawn squad)

JELLYFISH
  • c0 jellyfish = c1600 / 1000xp
    JOSSH Database entry wrote:
    *TRI has limited this payment to pilots who are rank 5 and below. Higher level pilots receive 10 credits and 10 experience.
    SQUID
  • c1 squid = c1200 / 300xp
  • c2 squid = c1600 / 400xp
  • c3 squid = c2000 / 400xp
    SNAILS
  • c4 snail = c2400 / 500xp
  • c5 snail = c2800 / 600xp
    MANTAS
  • c6 manta = c6600 / 2500xp
  • c7 manta = c8000 / 2800xp
    KRAKEN
  • c8 kraken = c10400 / 6000xp
  • c9 kraken = c14000 / 6500xp
    EELS
  • c10 eel = c24000 / 5000xp
    PHOCEANA
  • c11 phoceana = c32000 / 8000xp
  • c12 phoceana = c40000 / 9500xp
    INFESTATIONS
=================
AMMO WPNS 101
=================
NewDawn's Ammo vs Laser guide
I've always used ammo weapons, and i learned what i know from Graxxus. First off, a warning: Modx gear is uninsured, and the cost of Duelists (or vtc1+bullseye) is prohibitive unless yer a superrich n00b (or broke all the time)
You'll need these modx "targetting computers" to hit anything with ammo weapons. (vtc1 tracks your vector, and the bullseye tracks your targets vector; the duelist does both)
I would recommend you stick with weapons that have bullet speeds fairly close together. (though i loved Hammer+Straker)
Once you've picked out your guns and targetting comps, you'll want to head into the sim and practice aiming (just line up the two "circles" you see on your hud and fire when in range)
Please note that range of your weapons is relative (your speed+your targets speed+bullet speed) * bullet life = range
You'll notice that alot of ammo wpns drain no power from your ship (i hated learning how to throttle down while firing lasers...hehe)

=================
WingMan 101
=================
You'll notice a new comm line command (p.9 of your manual) that allows you to share the bonus for killing conflux with another pilot.
It is CASE-SENSITIVE.
type "/wing [pilot's name]" (without the quotes; can be docked or launched; only one wingman allowed)
It is CASE-SENSITIVE.
When someone kills a conflux they are rewarded with an instant bonus of credits and experience (above and beyond mission bonuses; you could level by killing conflux and never take a mission. well, theoretically. hehe)
If you have your wingman in the same sector as the conflux kill you both share the reward equally. (50/50; regardless of level difference)
If one person quits the game for whatever reason the /wingman is null and void. (you'll also get a TRI announcement to that effect)
Wingmen also share any beacon experience (and this type of shared XP doesn't require the wingmen to be in the same sector)

===========================
ADVANCED CONFLUX FIGHTING
===========================
HurfBurf wrote:
How to hunt big flux

Basically the strategy is simple. It relies on both participants following the same plan together. The two participants are the leader, aka the bait, and the follower, aka the killer. The leader jumps into the sector first so the flux get on him. The follower then starts flying away from the flux. If there's a group then just fly away from most of them. The follower then jumps in. If the follower spawns any flux, the follower should jump out and back in so the flux get on the leader. Once the follower has jumped in without spawning any flux, he then goes after the flux that are chasing the leader. The leader must fly in a straight line and not jump out of the sector unless agreed upon by the follower. The follower must go after the fastest flux first, to reduce the drain on the leader's AB fuel. Since the leader is flying in a straight line, the flux will be easy targets for the follower. The follower should close in to within 1000 units of the target flux, then open fire. It will be severely wounded by the time it even fires its first shot. After the flux is downed, the follower should request that the leader do a 180, so they don't end up too far from the gate. To make the hunt profitable for both parties, leader and follower should trade roles at some point, or the follower should give the leader half the credits from the kills.
Overview:
    Leader's Role:
  • 1. Leader jumps into sector
  • 2. Leader flies in a straight line at top speed, using AB if necessary to keep the flux from catching up.
  • 3. Leader does a 180 when requested by the follower.

Leader must not:
    Turn
    Jump out of the sector
    Engage flux

Follower's Role:
  • 1. Wait for leader to jump in to sector
  • 2. Jump in to sector
  • 3. If you spawned a flux, jump out and back in, repeat until you have not spawned any flux.
  • 4. Get very close to the target flux (<1000 units) and fire away.
  • 5. Ask the leader for a 180
  • 6. Repeat 4 and 5 until all flux are dead

Follower must:
    Always go for the fastest flux first
    Kill all the flux
With this strategy, you can take out eels and krakens for the big cash and exp in no time flat.

HurfBurf

(UMEC's version of JOSSH recruiting posters)

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Feb 28, 2003 6:04 pm; edited 30 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Mar 29, 2002 3:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DISCLAIMER: THE ONLINE SIMULATOR ADDS TIME TO YOUR DUTY HOURS AND MAY PREVENT YOU FROM GAINING SOME IMPORTANT MEDALS

You can spawn conflux in the OFFLINE simulator by using the comm line command of /ai

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Dec 06, 2002 9:29 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Apr 15, 2002 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those of you proficient at dealing with flight maneuvers, i recommend adding a technique when fighting squid type conflux:

Instead of merely approaching squid and cutting thrust to fire, you approach headon to within 4000m, swivel 180 degrees and thrust to max, then cut thrust and turn again to wait for the squid to enter your laser range...you'll find this technique to be highly effective against squids (though i do NOT recommend you take this approach with snails)
    Snails entail using the oblique angle attack vector ("circle strafing"), much like approaching a roid indirectly (the spiral approach) - since heading into a snail's line of fire is about as deadly as kissing a roid at maxV

Once you're close enough try to get a shot off at it - they are big, stupid and once you get enough practice dodging their slow shots you'll find them easier kills than squid
I'd suggest practicing "circle strafing" on squid once you've got the hang of "turreting"

less oblique screenshot

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Jan 01, 2003 12:32 am; edited 3 times in total
BaadF00d
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Thu Jun 20, 2002 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most conflux have an approach where they aim either slightly up or down - or to the side, and they only come straight at you once theyre in their fire range.

The conflux that try a direct approach are c1, c4, c7 - i havnt been brave enough to run head on at c10,c11,c12 for long enough to see if they drift, but im pretty sure that c10 are a dead on approach flux.

There are two twicks with this - once youve identified the confluxes approach - either down/up or left/right - you imemdiately know which way the flux is going to try dodge when its damaged (at 75 or 60% shields). Using this information, ammo users can significantly increase their accuracy.

As to the straight on approach flux, you can hit them successfully with guidance 0 missiles - which - if youre on a tight budget is good as smackers are particularly cheap. When you see a c1,c4 or c7 that you want hit, start by flying directly away from it, once both you and the flux have stopped drifting laterally, and youre between 15-20k from the flux, you can cut thrust, flip, and fly towards the flux. Using zoom you should see your crosshairs, the vtc1, bullseye & flux all overlapping. If theyre all lined up, launch the missile before 7K, and cut thrust so the missile goes ahead of you (once I forgot to cut thrust, reached the flux before the missile and ended up ramming it- as a result the missile missed and crusied off into the depths of space). If youre ship launches missiles away from center, you can turn just slightly to get behind the missile, the flux will adjust its heading to follow and face plant the unguided missile.

Whoo - missile rips for less than 1.5Kc a pop.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 23, 2002 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Snowdon wrote:

Yup, mantas can be quite hard.

The key is getting them to 70% shield as quickly as possible because they turn away and make it very easy for you to line up again.

If you are using ammo weapons, try to make very long jousts and make sure you hit in EVERY joust. If you miss in a joust, they will generally turn quite fast and may shoot you from behind directly and not give you enough time to line up again.

That way you should be able to beat 2 mantas in an interceptor with hammers (but it's not easy and hitting them takes quite a bit of practice to get right)

If you are using lasers, it gets a bit harder because they have higher range than you do. The safest way is again to joust them and make sure you hit twice (or better three times) in each run (throttle down to fire when they are in range, so you get more shots in and then throttle up again when you've passed them so you get some distance for the next joust).

As soon as they are below 70% shield, it gets again much easier because they will turn away as soon as you hit them once.

Still, killing mantas in an interceptor with lasers is not easy, because you need good aim to be able to hit them enough.

If you're feeling lucky, you can also try to circle them, but that makes aiming harder, even though it is a faster method to kill them if you hit enough :)
BigDom wrote:
Manta's took me an age to get the hang of. Their difficulty and damage is fair though as they are the first of the hard flux ( as such ) and have 2500 XP AOT 500-600 for snails. The biggest tricks I learnt where to use the zoom function of the camera and to roll so the dualist is horizontal. Eventually the zoom will be less used but it improves accuracy a lot. Don't make your jousts too long though - if your finding it hard to hit them then they'll recover their shields too much. 5K is about the point U should turn.

Funnily there is one flux which is shall we say say definatly disproportionatly easy - the C10 eel. It can hit hard ( has novas ) but is inaccurate and easy to throw it's aim out whilst not disrupting your own too much. It's also big and slow so easy to hit but heavily armoured so does take time but as long as you avoid the novas that's not a big worry.

As an addition, with the possible exception of C11/12, ammo rule the fluxing roost. Yeah you might run out of ammo but trust me, normally with hammers you'll be out of AB fuel and/or FFS first. Hitmen are a little under loaded but really the only one.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:08 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Oct 30, 2002 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ND general forum thread
Looks like New Dawn has updated their flux guides and stuff
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 06, 2002 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

JumpGateWeb's updated conflux guides (looks like most of it's stuff from new dawn)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Dec 10, 2002 12:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

there's also the trick of getting someone to trail flux for you. (sort of like the "mob trains" in other MMOGs)

you can get right up on a flux and it won't turn to attack you until you hit it (Illustration)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 05, 2003 7:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pez wrote:
ok achilles. they told you all the advance nova tactics for pilots with nova experience. now i will tell you how us newb novas users flux.

first, if you dont know how to fight phocs, dont try until ur better with the nova, and can find someone to help tow them so you can fight a phoc 1v1.

first, choose ur gun loadout. this is for the tens, since it is faster and has better shields than the cuda (but an arti nova cuda is devastating, talk to DarkCloud). Nova is your primary weapon. you really need nothing other than this. your other guns you dont really use unless you need to pick a flux off someone or you just cant hit the flux with ur nova. i suggest either raks or thorns/injustices. 2 injustices will kill a c7 from behind before it can get away. natrually, do not use these weapons with the nova. if you REALLY want to use guns with the nova, gotta go hammers or landlords or something like that. right now my tens has a nova and 2 raks, but i rarely use the raks.

c7's are simple to kill because they go at you head on.
krakens can sometimes be tricky because they dodge and such and never come head on. 1 nova hit will do about 31% to their shields.
eels arent that difficult. jsut do what the others wrote, 10 degree angle, maybe roll it into firing position (thats what i do) and open up on it. it shouldnt really hit you at all and you should be able to hit it at least once each pass, but usually more. just aim inside the duelie target a bit, maybe halfway or a third of the way. its best to joust them at about 10k distance ive come to believe (and practice).

really excellent thread. i suggest everyone go looksee.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Feb 25, 2003 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lupus5150 wrote:
I never mastered mantas. I still have trouble with them (mostly because I'm a laser pilot). Occasionally when I have reason to outfit an ammo Soulless, I can take one down, but it still takes me ages.

I know that I didn't kill one till I was level 20+. I could shred c1-5 from level 10 onwards (my trusty laser Raven), but manta's always finished me.

I lost a fortune as a noob (and a self-made noob as well) on duellists, because bloody experienced pilots kept telling me that ammo was better, and that I could take out big flux with them. Well after who knows how many snails killed me (yes, snails) because I couldn't hit anything much with ammo, I decided to ignore the vets, and go my own way - when I did much better. I still wasn't taking money from OV at the time, right up to level 30 when Sinupi paid for proper tow kit, and I started making money instead of losing it.

My point being - I still considered myself a noob right up until the point where I got good at something. I'd been trained as a combat pilot, but didn't do that well. At L30, I still couldn't kill a manta reliably (although I never tried a nix - still haven't). I would hate someone telling me that the only good way to level is to kill big flux, or run lots of transport missions.

I took a long time to level up - although I have Sarath's Shine, it was only just. I didn't do any intensive levelling, I just flew around doing what I wanted. OV asked nothing much of me, so I did everything I wanted.

I didn't consider the game boring at the lower levels, because I was constantly scrabbling to make enough to properly kit my ship out. Even when I did have a good setup, I always seemed to die enough to keep me poor. Even when I could finally afford the Raven (bear in mind scout, FT and MF weren't around), the Phoenix and Wyvern were miles away - both in levels and cash. But I had a target to work for.

Maybe I'm just really easy to please (though I doubt it), but that was enough fun for me. I'd never played CounterStrike, or Q3, or in fact any persistent online game - if you judge Jumpgate against them, then of course they will seem different. If you want instant gratification, go somewhere else. If you think that everyone else wants instant gratification, then go somewhere else too, or at least leave them to do what they want.

For me, a mentor shouldn't be someone who pushes all the information about Jumpgate on a noob. Heck, I'm still learning facets of this game and I've been here since it launched - you can't speed-teach that to someone in a week. Does noone else just let the noobs come to them to ask questions rather than forcing them to learn?
Havik wrote:
I would imagine kraks would be easier, since a krak only has one featherfire compared to the c6's 2 sharks, which put out quite a bit more hurt. Anyway, IIRC, a laser appy or gust can kill about any flux out there, tho I have heard of ammo gusts kill kraks as well.

example of the braggadocio on both our servers:
YouWhat wrote:
Apty only has two gun slots but krakens can be done in one (one at a time of course) and can also be done with a gust.
Oldfenster (aka. Nazgul troll) wrote:
I'd like to see an apty gun down a krak (no missiles) if you can, ur a better pilot than me.
-Spirit- wrote:
I don't think it's possible with Cales, but it might be possible to kill single kraken with ammo in an apty, if you have very good aim with it.
-Aethemos (aka. Ridgeway) wrote:
Sit still next to the gate, aim at Kraken. Hit several times on first approach, follow Kraken thats now turning away. Finish it. Likely outcome : You're between hulled and 50s. Kraken dead.
:grin: :eats: yernuts :tune: :grin:

BTW, check this thread out: How do i kill manta with lasers? and NewDawn's Multiple targets guideAnd light trivial for history buffs, here's a direct link to a very old conflux map:
NewDawnFlux - beta (obsolete)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 11:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Episode 2 is almost upon us, finally, so here's the GameSpy art for EP2:attack of the conflux.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CptMorgan wrote:
Dr. Qson - new conflux found!!!
I was flying thru unregulated space last night and came across a swarm of conflux. Apparently these 2 sided gates do not work as TRI has planned. I encountered 2 unknown conflux species which appear to be very, very deadly. I cannot be certain which were responsible for my death, however it was quick and painless, I can assure you. These are just 2 types of flux among the swarm of squid, snails, mantas, krakens, eels, and phocs. I saw every type of conflux, and I must say I was not happy to see this.

The first, appear to be the 'raptor', if you will, of the conflux. Big and slow, but I'm sure pack quite a punch.
http://www.virtualhalo.com/files/unknownconflux1.jpg

The second is, quite obviously, the ranger class conflux. With a cruising speed of 692, I would suggest not meeting up with one in a long sector.
http://www.virtualhalo.com/files/unknownconflux2.jpg

I apologize for the poor pictures, however the picture given in my radar HUD was all I could get. As I stated earlier, I was sent home via my escape pod before I could truly get near them to take a closer look. Because of this, I am not even sure what class of weapon they use. I did happen to see and hear some plasma fire outside my ship (similar to novas) as well as seeing some laser fire. But I cannot be certain what it was or from where it came. I dare not say there are more dangerous conflux awaiting us than these. For if so, we may be in quite a bit of danger. I hope this helps you, Dr. Qson. Let me know if there is anything else you need.
Kitten wrote:
Flux Changes
Here's what I've noticed from my hour of shooting pink stuff last night that's changed in Ep2:

1) c11s no longer use novas, only barraks
2) Jellyfish spawn in station sectors (great for newb exp! )
3) There are flux swarms - they were only c1's but it was fun. This seems like another good way for new players to level.
4) New flux - So far I've only fought the "Octopus." It's a lot like the kraken except it doesn't accell as fast, goes 433, uses ammo, and has WAY more armor.
5) Spawns... I'm not 100% on how these work, but Ridge said that up to 5 flux will spawn in a sector by jumping in, and that more will spawn based on the time your in the sector.

I hope there's more hidden changes that take player research and testing to find.
Pez wrote:
New Flux Intel and Spawning Info - UNREG
(I will do as much unreg recon as I can - FLux keep spawning which makes it hard to do recon. I will try to get specs and pics of the new flux, but that 700v one may be tricky)

When flux randomly spawn while people are IN sector, the go after whoever is closest it seems.

C8's yield 5k credits and 2k exp - no tactical/physical changes.
C9's yiekd 6k credits and 2k exp - no tactical changes. To me they seem to have a larger white auro (from the power ball perhaps) than before. Maybe a larger hitbox? Does look slightly different than the C8.
C10's yeild 10k credits and 2.5k exp - no changes.
C11's yield 12k credits yield 3k exp and now shoot only 3 raks. Easy prey.

(These are all from my observations and multiple attempts to spawn)

Sharon's Shoulder: c5-c10. It likes c10's it seems a lot. This sector gets very nasty with all the traffic.
Outskirts: c3-c6.
Four Fingers: c7-c9 so far is all I've seen. I'm sure c10's also spawn here.
Sharon's Eye: spotted c7-UNKNOWNS (433v ones)
Inner Gyre: c3-c6, but watch for swarms from Pulsar
Light Crossroads: c3-c6
Far Point: c3-c5
Lesser Arm: c7-c10
Light Gateway: c3-c6
Outer Gyre: c3-c6
Greater Arm: c3-c6

Pulsar: C7-UNKNOWNS (the 700v I spotted may be part of a swarm) - definately the nastiest sector I've been in. You can be fighting multiple krakens, UNKNOWNS, and phocs, and still have more phocs spawn on you (as I just did). This makes getting intel on UNKNOWNS rather difficult on my own...

(more to come as I go more intel. I will also try to provide pictures and stats of the new flux)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 19, 2003 6:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VALEN wrote:
You couldn't be more wrong about the n00bs flying betwen faction sectors right now Greenfleas. The flux spawn has increased, there are 3-4 combo's of C1's - C3's spawning in nearly every sector now. The majority of the n00bs ships can't outrun a c3.

Go fly through faction space right now, it is quite easy to notice the increase flux spawn.
Sentinels wrote:
2 words for you valen:

player interaction.

if you feel so strongly about protecting the newbs, perhaps you should interact with them and escort them throughout space. yes most newb ships can't outrun a c3, however most flux spawn far enough away that they can make it from 1 gate to the next without having to worry about the flux getting near.

IMO, i think the 1 shot ff use will add a different dimension to how battles are fought and what strategies are used. give it some time to adjust and you'll see in the long run, it'll help add more challenge to the game.

Okay, that's stupid. sorry, but transport missions are the only decent way to level, and remember that the only way to level in core sectors is to mine and oct/sol n00bs are screwed; TO EXPECT A MENTOR WILL VOLUNTEER TO HELP EVERY N00B IS CONCEIT - you forget most n00bs judge a game by their ability to act independently and the intimidation factor for the "independents" who like going it alone will be another nail in JG's coffin
    for the love of god, change this so that only jellyfish spawn near core stations PUHLEEEZ! And no damned swarms of jellyfish in station sectors...lunacy. total lunacy. And i bloody well know lowlevel n00bs don't spawn flux, but what about dumps? *sigh*
FFS who the FUCK died and made the elitist prick TPs lieutenant?!!?

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Mar 24, 2003 12:54 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 20, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[/url] wrote:
First signs of Conflux invasion!!!! Read the story [url=http://www.planetnetdevil.com/modules.php?op=modload&name=News&file=article&sid=141&mode=thread&order=0&thold=0]here at PlanetNetDevil
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Apr 01, 2003 7:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Havik wrote:
New Conflux Report, Provisional
Although this information is hardly complete, it represents all of my current knowledge of the new conflux sighted in TRI and Flux space, and it will be continually updated as I find an learn more about other unknown conflux types, and am able to learn exact values on flux statistics. If I got anything wrong (I seem very good at getting things wrong), your help would be greatly appreciated.

Conflux Changes
Although new flux have appeared, it seems that the old flux that we are familiar with have also changed slightly.

C4/5 Snails have been reported with signifigantly increased firepower, however the extent to which it has increased has yet to be precisely documented.

C11 Phocaenas appear to have had their dual plasma cannons replaced by regular ammunition-based guns, bringing the total up to 3. Following a similar but reversed trend, C12s now have triple plasma cannons, instead of just one, which replace their ammo guns.

New Flux
I have only detailed notes on four new conflux at this time, however, I will work to change this as soon as possible.

[Working Name : "Octopus"]
Radar Scan
Radar Scan. Bow pointed left

Type A
Speed: v433
Guns: Two featherfire type ion cannons, range 3000m
Shields: Moderate (8% per thorn)
Hull: Strong (4% per thorn)
Acceleration: Low
Profile: Medium

Type B
Guns: Two barrack style gauss cannons

Type C
Guns: Two heavy lasers, range 2200m

Unlike many of the new flux, these Octopi are not very exotic. Although the A variant can pack a nasty punch at bad times, this class of flux is not signifigantly harder to combat than known types, and is slow enough so that mistakes are not fatal. Unlike most conflux, their "hull" is quite a bit stronger than their shield proection.

[Working Name : "Shrimp"]
Radar Scan. Bow pointed right

Type A
Speed: v632
Guns: One featherfire type ion cannon, range 3000m
Shields: Weak (approx 10% per thorn)
Hull: Weak
Acceleration: High
Profile: Tiny

Type B
Speed: v612
Guns: One heavy laser, range 2200m
Shields: Weak (approx 10% per thorn)
Profile: Tiny

Very much like a c8 or c9 kraken, the Shrimp packs the same degree of firepower in a similarly sized shell. Although it's shields are somewhat weaker, it is far, far faster, making it very hard to combat in numbers, and making mistakes very hard to recover from, even with a flashfire.

[Working Name : "Krill"]
Radar Scan. Bow pointed left

Type A
Speed: v619
Shields: Very weak (approx 12.5% per thorn)
Hull: Very weak
Acceleration: Extremely high

Type B
Speed: v630

Type C
Speed: v645
Guns: One plasma cannon

Krill are unlike anything else seen before. They are incredibly maneuverable and accellerate very quickly, allowing them to dance around a ship to a degree even a Phocaena could never do. Their sheilds also rechage extremely quickly. That said, they are easy to drive off if you get a bead on them, because their shields are very, very weak. Like Shrimp, however, they are difficult to deal with in numbers.

[Working Name : "Stingray"]
Radar Scan. Side view unavailable

Type A
Speed: v707
Guns: Two featherfire type ion cannons, range 3000m
Shields: Medium (approx 6% per thorn)
Profile: Small

Type B
Speed: v678
Guns: Two barrack style gauss cannons

Type C
Speed: v698
Guns: Two heavy lasers, range 2200m

When Phocaena were first discovered, they were an incredible step above anything else seen before. They totally redifined the abilities of conflux.
The Phocaena to the c0-10 conflux are what the Stingray is to any other flux known. It is simply death to those unprepared. Fighting a Stingray in combination with other flux is extremely difficult due to its incredible speed and good acceleration, and almost always requires flashfires. In addition it has a thin profile, good firepower, and fair maneuverability. Engage a Stingray with extreme caution, since even a flashfire boost will only delay the envitable.

[Working Name : "Shark"]
Radar Scan. Side view unavailable

Type A
Speed: v652
Guns: Triple featherfire class ion cannons, range 3000m
Shields: Gigantic (Less than 1% per thorn)
Hull: Unknown
Profle: Large

Type B
Speed: v675
Guns: Triple plasma cannons
Shields: Gigantic (Less than 1% per thorn)
Hull: Unknown
Profile: Large

Trying to stop a Shark with conventional weapons is like shooting an incoming asteroid with a pellet gun. Of note: its shields recharge at least 2% per second. From my limited experience fighting sharks, the only effective weapon to use is a nova or two. Although I was about to make downward progression on the shields of a shark with a hitman/barrack nix, I burned the 110 rounds of ammo on it that I had and it never got below 45% shields. With novas it was going on its way out, but then I rammed it accidentally before I could test its armor.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2003 10:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ZeroZ95 wrote:
Conflux Guide Updated
Fleet Commander Havik of New Dawn has led the effort to gather data on the new Conflux and the changes to existing Conflux behavior and abilities. Many other New Dawn pilots have contributed and formatted the data as well. Thanks go to everyone who's worked so hard on this during this time of change and turmoil in our Galaxy.

We feel we have enough data to "go public" with our updated Guide even though every statistic is not yet complete.

Both the Guide and the static Fluxmap have been updated. Both should be considered preliminary and subject to change.

Please contact me here or at CFW if you have any contributions.

Crossreference
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hrafn wrote:
Best way to kill higher flux (C6+) solo?
A Manta ate me alive last night...boom!

I have been killing up to C5 without a problem...if a few are on me, I just jet away and line them up and joust the strongest, and work through them that way one at a time.

A Manta jumped me and I had him almost dead, then he just popped me a few and I could not jet away fast enough--I think I screwed up my speed and he nailed me before I could get away...stupid.

Anway, later on, another solo Manta came at me and I shot a purg at him, then he ran like hell with the missle right on his pink butt...so I followed him and pounded him while the tried to outrun the missle...so when the missle hit, he blew apart....yay! So is this the best way to take a Manta for now--shoot a missle to make him run, then as he runs come up behind and hammer away (hehe)?

My current setup is a Whirlwind with dual Hammers and three Purgs (yes, I agree with all of you, the added speed of 417v plus the AB is really nice--blows away the Cyclone). I like the Whirlwind alot, a serious upgrade in power...the size 1 capacitor sucks though...
Zaltys wrote:
Okay, if you're on hammers, and shooting a manta, here's a few tips.
  • Stop yourself, and line up perfectly on the manta before accelerating towards it.
  • Travel directly towards the manta
  • The manta won't travel perfectly towards you. You will have noticed that it has a wide but short profile. When you notice which direction it is going, rotate yourself so that when it is moving at an angle to you, it is turning away from you elative to your horizontal axis. This will result in the hammers hitting the manta better, as you have a large amount of aim variability in the direction which the manta is turning (can anyone explain this better?)
  • Joust the manta. When you've passed it, don't turn directly back. Travel onwards, until the manta has accelerated up in your direction quite a bit. This will make sure that your next joust is nice and straight. Then turn back, and do the same. Not only will this ensure that you hit better, you also get a long way from the manta on each joust, giving you the opportunity to bail out.
Manta are a big challenge, but it's very satisfying when you get the first one
spork wrote:
Hammers use almost no energy, so capacitor is irrelivent.
  • Once you can afford an Antagonizer or an Instigator PP and Barracks, then the sz1 Cap is a slight limiter, but a little throttle management can overcome that. The Antag isn't bad, but the Insti/Rak WW is a fluxing machine.
  • Long straight jousts are the key. Use the vector indicators to help keep the joust straight.
  • Aiming roughly half way between where the duelist tells you to shoot and where the manta is will help accuracy. "Shoot the manta, not the duelist." (That quote comes from www.confluxwar.net. Check their Database/Fluxing Guide.)
  • Eventually, you'll find that missiles are only good to keep an extra manta busy while you deal with the first one. Then later on, only for keeping the 3rd busy while you deal with the first 2. (Or use 2 missile to outright kill the extra flux.)
The MF is a fun ship for c6 and lower fluxing due to the extra firepower, but it really doesn't have the speed to play with kraken, c7s, and eels all that well.
Pikachoad wrote:
  • Basically, since your hammers are on the horizontal plane of your ship, you want to keep the manta, your hammers, and your movement in the same plane at all time.
  • Do what Zaltys said. I would add to his step one to wait as long as you can before flying towards the manta. Often when you gate in, the flux spawn already moving. They dont spawn standing still like you do when you gate in. So once you gate in, if you have time and there arent too many flux, stay in the gate, and let the manta home in on you. The longer you wait, the straighter the manta will be coming at you by the time you engage the manta.
  • If you spawn in a gate and a petal is in between you and the manta, thrust out of the gate and quickly come to a stop once the petal is no longer in the way. You want to fly right at the manta with no drifting.
  • If you have a bunch of flux in the sector, it will benefit you to immediately fly at the closest manta, and engage as soon as possible.
CytoPro wrote:
  • Lots of good info in this post for ya Hrafn. Long jousts, straight on is the best method of attacking manta. The more manta you engage, the more you'll be able to visualize what Kitten is saying. Attacking them using yaw instead of pitch is the key to one passing them. Manta almost never come straight at you. They usually angle to make close passes. 90% of the time they are yawing to your left or right, exposing their wide, vulnerable profile. Occasionally, they pitch up or down on approach, thus making them a little harder to track, but not much.
  • The key is to hit the thing each pass. This is critical in a ship that is slower than the flux you are hunting. Once you get a flux below about 70% shields, they go into evasive. They accelerate and angle futher away from you. This slows their turn in pursuit, reduces your need to use AB, and helps you open up the joust range. In short, it buys you time. This is probably explained better on New Dawn's site, linked above. Check it out.
  • You'll find that with practice, missiles are not needed and best kept in reserve incase things go bad. Each gun has sweet spots on the duelist. The spot varies from gun-to-gun (because of speed) from ship-to-ship (because of speed) and from flux-to-flux (because of... you guessed it, speed). It just takes practice.
Pikachoad wrote:
Oh we need to clarify... the thread title says C6+... but these tactics are exclusively for C6s so far in this thread.
  • C7s are mantas with ammo... so with them you want to drift joust, not straight on joust.
  • C8s and C9s are Kraken. Mantas that are basically smaller, faster, and harder to hit. I always found these to be the toughest to kill with guns. 2 purgs will take them out (and keep them off you).
  • C10s are Eels. Think big snails with big destructive slow ammo. You fight these like snails in basic approach. Even though they are C10s, you can often kill them without getting hit once.
  • C11s and C12s are phocs. I fight them like snails as well. Dont fly straight at them, and dont stay in a straight line of flight for very long.
If you see any of these flux before you are in a fighter and comfortable, run. You wont see these in normal space lanes though.

When you are ready for these other flux, come back for more advice, as there are MANY players that are far more qualified to help you with killing these flux than I. Personally, the Kraken seem much harder to me than all fo the rest I name above. Oh, and I fly an ammo (4 hitmen) Tornado when fluxing.
5Rings wrote:
  • Let me repeat something Zaltys said: as you pass the Manta, keep going. Maybe even add a little AB to increase the distance before you both turn and make another pass. Resist the tempation to turn immediatly and get on his tail in a circle fight. And try to hit him at least once every pass. If you don't, he'll turn quickly and get on your tail.
  • If there's two Manta, missle one and run until you see it veer off to evade the missle. Then turn and engage the other. Use two Purgatories to kill a Manta, one to chase it off long enough for you to take care of his buddy.
  • If there's Snails with a single Manta, ignore them. Keep moving and concentrate totally on the Manta. If they're closely grouped and you don't like that, just run. The Manta's 450v speed will easily pull it ahead of the Snails.
  • Because of its speed, it's awfully hard to run from a Manta to disengage completely. Best you can do is get a little time to recharge your shields or gain distance for a better joust. It's also a good time to remind yourself that this is a fight to the death. There's no chickening out, it's either you or him.

*ahem* Okay, now that i've got your attention, there's something the PvP combat jockey's tend to do alot: anytime flux tips encroach on PvP tips they clam up. Case in point: running!
    best way to retreat from flux while you're engaging them is not to just turn around and flee, but first fly right at the flux and do a high speed flyby - most flux have a hard time catching up after you do this and don't turn to reengage...you can actually survive for quite a bit longer if you're awaiting rescue in this method instead of just fleeing.
the pvp tip of facing your opponent and doing a flyby is a critical point, especially to waste the other's FlashFire.
Heretic
Chief WO4
Chief WO4

PostPosted: Tue Dec 07, 2004 1:25 pm    Post subject: ftp transfer complete between mindphyre and razorskiss Reply with quote

:)-
Muffy

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: can't believe i forgot to add this Reply with quote

http://jumpgate.ddz.net/map/index.html
interactive map...even has roid information available via another link.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: