UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anatomy of a Troll

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Tue Feb 04, 2003 11:26 pm    Post subject: Anatomy of a Troll Reply with quote

Nazgul; a case study in evolved trolls

Example of a troll post; diagnostics of real trolls. (a real troll sometimes posts an abusive flame in the most innocuous fashion, and if challenged will play semantic games)
  • Troll motivation: get muffy to lose it
  • Muffy motivation: drive trolls nuts by using anti-troll tactics learnt through trial&error
http://www.livejournal.com/users/majorfreak/2005/08/31

Last edited by MuffyBot™ on Thu Apr 03, 2003 1:09 am; edited 4 times in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 8:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Xyleth wrote:
I don't think its so much the judging thats the problem, because as you so rightly point out we all judge by our own standards because thats all we have.
    It's the apparent inability to
  1. Understand that another person might not agree with your standards and
  2. Admit you might be wrong which are bothering people so much.
I think its got something to do with a lack of empathy or something. Anyway......

Sorta, i agree with your statements, but maybe you should extend it further. I've been studying these slime for years even when they terrorized the old PJG EU forums during the open beta there, and it's pretty clear they disarm alot of folk with their Martyr syndrome.

I was thinking about this earlier today. What makes them appeal to so many? I think it's because they broadcast a "Fallen Angel" image. They clearly state time and time again they have faults when defending themselves against "Holier Than Thou Carebears"...Thinking deeper into this it became clear why they "admit" flaws so readily: They never admit mistakes. never. What they do instead is use this "humility" to paint an image of their "detractors'" arrogance. (ie. look! we're only human and everyone who attacks us think the sun shine outta their arses)
    It then becomes simple math what comes next: The Jester syndrome from the Martyr syndrome that'll make your head spin so fast you'll need an inner ear transplant...This is another learning bit for me so my understanding goes up another skill level. *bling*
Hyperlink to this post and Crossreference

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Feb 10, 2003 10:47 pm; edited 3 times in total
Xyleth
Private
Private

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

~sigh~

I know I shouldn't feed the trolls. And maybe one day I'll be old enough and wise enough to stick to it. But right now at least a part of me is still young and idealistic enough to not be able to let it pass unchallenged :-/
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address MSN Messenger
RazorsKiss
Corporal
Corporal

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sure you've seen my PR campaigns, Muffy - wouldn't you like to see a Nazgul vs ND PR war? =)

I'm an on-off again troll-slayer myself =)

Miskugun lost the only time they tried =)

hee hee...
View user's profile Send private message Send e-mail Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lilith
Femme Fatale
Femme Fatale

PostPosted: Mon Feb 10, 2003 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am only sorry I didn't archive all the shit they threw at me in zem olden times.

However, I don't give a fuck about what they do and what's the new cause for martyrdom is these days, so maybe it's better this way--less reason to stick my nose back into the biological refuse they are.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Mar 06, 2003 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi, folks. i'm beginning to gather similar threads and weaving a tapestry...or building a Juggernaut?

offtopic (or is it?)
    Glossary: 'Fanboi'
  • Griefer, Carebear, Wynar = Troll = Martyr complex
    Nazgul are pretty much the cream of the crop when it comes to this equation, though they've evolved alot from the lowest common denominator and who represent the pragmatic hardcore players who form the loudest minority.
It's easy to buy into 'Fanboi' lies. It's "easy" to buy the drivel that the "community" as represented on the forums has no relation to ingame play. (nor even ingame flame fests)
    Beware of those who say the forum community is completely different than the ingame community, because they are the same who rant the most ingame and out, so they're not exactly unbiased -- especially when this type is infamous for confusing *RL*/*OOC*/*IC* and really really screwing up attempts at "roleplay" (more like powergamers; see MUD terminology)
I don't believe the base assumption of this propaganda; You should see me sometime ingame: I hardly have time to rant since it's not an issue of typing or archiving, but an issue of "who cares?! i'm mapping/fluxxing/FAQing/shootin the shit on the booths"; I believe the majority of players are lurkers who think alot like i do (conceit to think i'm not hypocritical, but hey!)...Ironically, the best way to counter the trolls is not to feed them...which sadly perverts those who need our feedback (a vicious circle)

The 'community' is NOT and has NEVER been and never WILL be remotely related to the forum/ingame spam. The problem is that all too often human beings have a problem with "cognitive dissonance" (ie. it's hard to juggle everyone's different contexts and still see the bigger picture)
    even harder when you buy the lie that "ingame=biggerpicture" that the hardcore players espouse. loudly, often, preemptively and righteously...most of the time even having the 'Chutzpah' to call it "Roleplay"
But the hardest juggling trick is NetDevil's purchase of the biggest lie of them all: It's CONVENIENT to have fanbois lick your boots and praise the holy truth that "coding=biggerpicture" and think anyone criticizing your game is a wynar. The fact fanbois/wynars are two sides of same coin isn't taken seriously because it's a morale boost for ND. But, it's a vicious cycle because their fanbois have misanthropic agendas, ipso facto (the martyr complex)
    I've recently started to piece together a picture of the JG martyr; this sort are pragmatists who form the hardcore of the "vigilante culture" of exploitation. Folks who want to have their cake, eat it too and loudly tell others to eat the same cake.
unfortunately, this is probably why the people who think alot like me quit; because ND can't see the big picture and they're the one's coding this game and they figure just because they DO code it means they automatically see the big picture...Fanbois; with friends like these who needs enemies?

Crossreference Crossreference Crossreference Crossreference Crossreference
MuffyBot™

PostPosted: Thu Jul 17, 2003 5:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

an interesting flame war occurred...interesting because the troll got squashed pretty handily

any font color or italic change is done to keep three trains of argument separate...you'll notice that they drop the "tan" tangent pretty quick, by the introjection of muffy comments instead.

Aramanu wrote:
most of you should be jealous cos raiderr has lived one of the best JG careers ever.

P.S i don't even care if it was cut/paste from google, it's a worthy read. and can be applied for IC purposes which i think that is whats it for?
    *muffy comment* ---
Xyleth wrote:
~wipes tear of mirth from eye~
Yes it is, and yes it can. That does not, however, make it in and of itself and IC document. Which is pretty much the crux of this argument (at least it would have been had not the almighty Raiderr waded in with his usual brand of melodrama).

Oh, and as a PS I do appricate the way that even Raiderrs staunchest supporters are referring to him in the past tense.

Oh and this is soooooo much more than a nitpick. To term it a nitpick would imply that that basic assumptions were correct and I was just complaining about details. Whereas over here in what I like to call reality (outside Raiderrs reality distortion field) most people with two eyes and a scraping of grey matter between their ears can see that the basic assumption of this post (namely that Earth history constitutes good JG IC material) is so fundamentally flawed as to be laughable.
    *muffy comment* ---
--Luke-- wrote:
[insert dumbass disclaimer about language barrier to gain sympathy]
[Insert Ad hominem]
Raiderr, the man, did a great RP with his account dpRaiderr. [insert stupid rant that's more about luke than the thread's topic or even reality]
It makes me sad that a guy who cares so much about JG is getting nitpicked (right word?, i mean, flamed,pissed,critic w/o good arguments).
    At least he cares, GMToast/Xyleth, at least he cares...
Xyleth wrote:
Did. DID. Not does. Did. I have no problem with aknowledging the good Raiderr has done this game. Aknowledging what he has done in the past. But that is not the here and now. What he did long ago does not excuse his behaviour now.

Do you even understand what the concept of a good argument is? Raiderr is the one who falls back on rehtoric and past glories. Me? I deal in facts and the here and now thank you very much.
    Toast cares about this game more than you could ever comprehend Luke. And if you sat down and exercised that lump of slush you call a brain for a moment and looked beyond the cult of Raiderr then perhaps you'd have a chance of understanding that.
--Luke-- wrote:
I said "did" because, as raiderr said, dpraiderr is no longer flying active. You understand? It´s no problem for me to change it into a "do" but well, i am not so good releated to the english language, so, don´t piss me off with this kind of grammar typos.

*Muffy comment* notice luke sidesteps this part of the argument
    When i don´t care... why do i post here then? Everyone here cares in his own way and that is what you should learn to respect.
Xyleth wrote:
And tell me, how much respect does declaring war on an entire faction and civ ripping innocents just because other members of that faction happen to have annoyed show, hrrm?

*Muffy comment* Xyleth seems to have dropped the logic theme as well, unfortunately.
    I never said you don't care. I only said Toast cares more than you could possibly understand.

And there it ends. *shrug* it's interesting how Xyleth turns the tables on Luke's oft used "stop being a grammar nazi" tactic by going back to the roots of that data stream, and it appears to have worked at shutting the shithead up.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: