UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

RTS games (or 'most hijacked thread thread')

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 4:49 am    Post subject: RTS games (or 'most hijacked thread thread') Reply with quote

My new, semi-occasional post on all the fun things HW related, with links!

On the toy front: There has been a big push at the RB for Homeworld Toys, such as models. Also other non-computer endeavors, such as the D&D modification for HW. So here are the links:

This is something that was made for a contest. the bottom picture doesnt work, but all picture links do.

http://starshipmodeler.net/contest4/ss_s16.htm

Here are the RB threads relating to modeling that i can find:

http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4630 about a $60 US plus model you can get of a Taiidan bomber

The thread that inspired the surge http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?threadid=4150

The D&D conversion (could use help, so if you know D&D, help!) http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4659

Now, the good stuff

Homeworld 2

The Joke: http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4406

The Chat Log: http://community.sierra.com/WebX?230@51.0OgfapiCUqv^3@.ef761c8 Note: it didnt like it when i tried to use the [url] codes, so just copy/paste into a new window.

Other stuff:

RB's new, ubAr kewl JG skin http://forums.relicnews.com/showthread.php?s=&threadid=4542

On a side note, i have felt a sudden... urge to do HW stuff. So, have an inclination to try to write some fan fic, draw some nifty stuff (dont know what) and i will canabilize all the legos lieing around the house to make ships. I will post what stuff up i have done in my next semi-occasional report.... when i get more interesting stuff up.

Oh, and just browse the RB forums, many things are fun to read.

Muffy, attach whatever other things you see interesting (i have seen you posting around on the RB)

Last edited by Hiigaran on Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:54 am; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jul 17, 2002 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RB general forum thread
"Reverse Thread Idea - What ONE thing...(you don't want to see in HW2)"
*muffy deletes nasty rant and instead decides to maliciously deface Hiigy's title*
i'm more curious about O.R.B. than HW2. here's a site about it: Publisher's bit (cascading links)
PseudoKami

PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2002 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kami wrote:
ORB is out

Anyone care to get together for MP play once we've mastered the single player stuff?

Going to pick up my copy this evening
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline Vault announces ORB demo (254megabytes. sheeesh)
well, i'm certainly taking time off to check this puppy out!

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Fri Nov 29, 2002 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i got the 657 Meg demo... (;))
wasnt really worth the download, well, maybe i give it a second try...

Hegemonia isnt that good too, its almost imposible to give exact movement comands...
The famous name whose origin traces back to death
Two maidens that control death
Black hands in fields of green
Please protect the peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

heh. it has to be good, they say it's like Homeworld. would be a shame if it was a cheap knockoff, especially for the download size. lol
Hiigaran
Nemesis
Nemesis

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 4:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm just curious as to were you aquired this 657mb 'demo' wtg
View user's profile Send private message AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

sharerector.
direct lint to the release

they also have a nice anime section ;)
Please protect the peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 2:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmmmmm...well, the game met my expectations. Pretty much assumed it was gonna be a clone of Homeworld. (add the truescale mod to HW and it is)

The one thing that pissed me off is the lack of orbiting roids. now, excuse me for misunderstanding the primary selling point, but there was talk galore about resource ops orbiting planets.

from what the demo shows, it's bunk. ooooo big asteroids. wooopie ding. take one look at the ship designs and you wonder WTF they got their art director?

As for back story? my my my. they certainly have quick an ingame selection. ah well, it was too easy even on VERY HARD. *shrug*
    i did like the lack of micromanagement needed in swarm mechanics...nice touch there. And even if you want to micromanage they gave you an option to tweak the AI scripting for swarm management. Also enjoyed the lack of interface needed to monitor docked ships and launch manager. nice.
Problem is, i was sold on this idea of orbiting roids...THAT sounded sooo cool. REAL turn-off when it was so much "reviewer/publisher" hype.

Last edited by MajorFreak on Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:34 am; edited 1 time in total
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 30, 2002 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for me the biggest minus is how the fighting works:
u send 15 ships, enemy has 10, u win, 3 of your ships survive
u send 10 ships, enemy has 10, u loose, enemy has 1 ship left...
an that on 'verry easy' difficulty.

/me wents off to unsinstall it again (and delete the image)
Please protect the peace
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hmm...you know what? just played the skirmish mode on very hard. It's got 3 rings of rotating roids, but no planet in the middle (pity)

This kinda meets my expectations a bit more regarding the hype. I even got to build destroyers (exclusively. muahaha who needs plinker ships!)
    the demo doesn't allow military bases to be built, but there's some wierd mechanic that turns mining bases into repair bases...the latter accepts resource collectors docking
Have to say i've changed my mind about this game...a bit plodding. actually, VERY plodding. The covert ops is a cute touch as is all the back story available ingame and a very detailed help section ingame.

IF it wasn't for the fact i'm not rich i woulda bought this game, but since HW2 is coming out sometime i'll save my cash...though i'm going to check the ORB website for info about capital ships. would be a selling point if there were different types of destroyers (ie. missile cruisers, etc)
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 12:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

O.R.B. is a lot more intricate than what you would believe. It all depends on what ships you have, and the composition of your fleet vs what you went up against. Each unit is a killer of another type and not so good at other types. Destroyers are easy to take out with the right composition of fighters.

re Military Bases.... they are an upgrade of repair bases after the proper research is completed.

expecting a patch to improve defenses for bases.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 1:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Kami: do we get maps with orbital paths around a planet? And why don't we have an upgrade to destroyers that equips missiles pack as a bonus?
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maps... with orbits....not sure what you mean, but the orbits of asteroid fields are pretty obvious, they are so dense.

Retrofitting of capital ships...I believe the only thing you can retro fit on capital ships are researched upgrades. ie if it doesn't require a new hull type, bring it to a military base or starbase via the dock or refit command.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll make it simple. are planets "background filler" or can you actually travel AROUND one? Can you stuff MISSILES on capital ships?
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Planets... usually very very big if in the playable map area. Moons are used more often. Yes you can go around them, over them, under them, but not through them. That will result in a collision.

Missiles... carriers stock missiles. Destroyers don't. Depending on your race, carriers can create special missiles that are pretty devastating.

Most people play O.R.B. on the 2D map and really get upset when somebody comes at their bases from directly above or below... it looks like they come out of no where on a 2D map :)

I haven't played O.R.B. in a few days. Concentrating on Hegmonia atm. I'm not a picky person , but I'm still on the search for my perfect 3d space RTS :) The Homeworld series is still better than both in my opinion. Not stopping me from playing them, however. I just try not to make comparisons.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 01, 2002 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtg
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 1:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline Vault wrote:
Capital ships are also inherently unbalanced within the O.R.B. universe. As their heavy shields regenerate quickly, they're more than a match for the endless waves of fighters that computer opponents send out. Even though fighters equipped with torpedoes can make a significant dent, they're costly, and an inexpensive repair vessel can easily patch up any damage incurred by the capital ships. Conversely, a destroyer's nimble turrets can track and destroy fighters with far too much ease. It's fairly easy to exploit the AI in this manner through a war of attrition, as it won't hesitate to waste thousands of resource units in futile attack waves.

I asked about this issue on the ORB forums, here

Last edited by MajorFreak on Wed Mar 12, 2003 7:58 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 6:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Eiden wrote:
Here's my take:

AI: Some good, more bad. The fighters on aggressive do okay on their own, but their tactics are just plain dumb - sometimes they go against the best target, sometimes they don't. All units on aggressive take more commands more as "suggestions" than orders.

Sound: Some good, most bad again. Gun sounds for fighters are tinny and weak. Beam and explosion sounds are underwhelming. Music, however, is very good.

Special effects: Underwhelming.

Gameplay: SLOW AS HELL. Unless you start with a very high number of starting RU (like 5000+), You won't see any action before the first 15 minutes of the game - at least, no meaningful action. Fighters are weak that early, so you can't do a meaningful early strike against enemy resource ops. Fighters build WAY too fast, so you can mount a defense around your bases or a carrier in seconds from having nothing at all.

Backgrounds: The backgrounds, asteroids, and planets are pretty nice, I have to admit.

Interface: They should have used more of HW's interface. Being similar but trying to be "different" for it's own sake is not a good enough reason to deviate. If they thought they could improve the interface, then they should have changed it for the improvement. What they actually did was remap the M key to holding down the CTRL-key, and map the shift key to the right mouse button (for vertical movement commands). The 2D map (spacebar) is definitely inferior to the 3D sensors manager of HW:C.

They do do a few things right, like allow you to send units at other units or object simply by clicking on them when your units are selected. They also have real-scaling, which is cool, so now you have a feel for the size of objects in relation to each other.

Number of Units: Okay, there are lots of fighter types (actually, there are 3-4 types but they can have multiple versions - like Interceptor and Missile Interceptor). However, there are only something like 3 distinct cap ship types (plus hyperspace or unarmed variants). No vettes.

Ship Designs: They call them "functional", which is really just an excuse. HW ships look functional ~ generally simple, but still have an appealing (yet believable) shape. ORB ships just look plain dumb (think, brown cubes with buick winshields and headlights), in almost all cases, with the exceptions being the Malus interceptor, Malus mega-carrier (which I've only seen pictures of), and Alysian destroyer, which, incidentally, looks less "functional" than any unit in HW. Hell, the Allysian destroyer looks more like a Star Trek Klingon ship than anything else, and doesn't fit in with the otherwise boxy ship designs for Alyssians. If you want a ship that looks PURELY functional, look at the Taidan research ship in HW - it is ugly, but still more appealing than the bulk of ORBs offerings.

All in all, ORB is too boring for me. The gameplay is slow until way, way, way later into the game, at which point it speeds up to a mild pace. The most rewarding part of the game for me was uninstalling the demo, and deleting the demo installable.
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 08, 2002 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

just changed my mind about hegemonia: ist posible to give exact movement ommands, u have to leftclick after u changed hight with shift (something like that)

but the last mission was over too fast:
i didnt know it was the last, so i just defended my planet with all my batleships and moved in with 3 lvl8 spys (2 with heros) and blew everything up i came acros, among that also the hq... end of game.
Please protect the peace
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Dec 16, 2002 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well I got the game. Played through a couple of missions and a few skimrishes, but the AI is making the game soo slow and boring.

On every encounter with the AI, the ships exchange a few rounds and then the AI runs away. And my stupid little ships follow them to the end of the universe...

Never had the opportunity to play against a human opponent, so I can't really say if the game is worthy of the hype. So far, Cataclysm rock my world. 8P
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 07, 2003 7:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

HEGEMONIA
ND general forum thread
Gonna test out Hegemonia now. finished downloading. (wanna get ammo so i can flame some fucker on USENET here hehehe)

omfg. puke
okay, i need a shower. that's like being forced to watch Starship Troopers with extra caffeine for the primadonna actors&actresses. holy shit!

as for cosmetic stuff? jeezuz. let's start with the ORB clone crap. they have planets you can zoom around and watch orbit, with asteroid belt kinda stuff (all just like orb, right?) they even have an intro that's almost a spitting image of ORB's...there command interface (GUI) even looks alike. IT CERTAINLY LOOKS LIKE A CHEAP RIPOFF! feels like it too. Cool explosions my hairy arse! and as for "attack runs"?? omg. just really. it's shit...though i suppose if ORB or homeworld never existed i'd oooo and aaah, so i guess i'm spoilt
    the worst bit is the damned planet orbits. it's all fine and good that i see saturn earth mars uranus and neptune with verrrrry slow orbit tracks around the sun and i'll ignore the convenience of them all in alignment nor will i quibble about distance scaling. But, what i'll bitch about is WHERE THE FUCK IS JUPITER! NOT ONLY THAT, THE SOLAR SYSTEM SEEMS TO THINK IT DOESN'T EXIST AND SATURNS IN IT'S PLACE!
As for technical complains? WTF there's a reverse x axis for mouse but no freakin Y axis reverse? ORB and homeworld have it normal but i'm stuck with some @%@# cockmonger telling me it's impossible? Oh, i must say being able to focus and stuff is neat but WTF i can't focus on enemy ships? didn't see it in F1 and i suppose they'll correct that major boo boo.

gaaaaaaaah.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Wed Jan 08, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Another Hijack.... Reply with quote

Impossible Creatures.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jul 10, 2003 12:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

omg...on very hard setting, the 3rd malus level is almost impossible. WTF ...dunno how i defeated the ioncannon fighters on my 2nd try (i think i tried to come in on an oblique angle)
    cancelling an attack order on the rear echelon just as the enemy front line went past...switch attack and i'm in circling fast enough to avoid getting slaughtered

*as you can guess, i finished a campaign of MTW and bought this game on the cheap*
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: