UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Scout Tactics (peregrine)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Jun 07, 2003 8:09 pm    Post subject: Scout Tactics (peregrine) Reply with quote

by Zaltys

<tr><td bgcolor="#314563" width="100%" valign="top">
<font face="verdana,arial,helvetica" size="1" > <b></b></font> <p><font face="verdana, arial, helvetica" size="2" >I also have this one about how to fly the scout, but it's pre-ep2 mostly, with just a few addendums. Might be of use to anyone who does want to fly the scout, though. Sorry for clogging up the thread with uber-sized post.<br /><br /><br /><i><b>Scout tactics</b></i><br />
<EMBED SRC="http://www.mindphyre.com/UMEC/PIC/JG/official/peregrine.swf" swLiveConnect="FALSE" WIDTH="300" HEIGHT="250" QUALITY="high" MENU="false" BGCOLOR="#000000" TYPE="application/x-shockwave-flash" PLUGINSPAGE="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" ></EMBED><br /><b><i>Peregrine breakdown:</i></b><br /><br /><i>Advantages: </i><br />Extremely high top speed, over 610v AB.<br />Exceptionally light, giving excellent acceleration.<br />A good number (4) of ModX slots.<br />Small profile.
<br /><br /><i>Disadvantages:</i><br />S1 shield<br />Less armour than an Intensity (although for a ship of itís speed, the armour is good)<br />Very low rotational rate.<br />Only one S2 weapon<br /><br /><br /><i><b>Loadout</b></i><br /><br /><ul><li><b>Engines:</b> 2x Rush<br /><li><b>Power plant:</b> Sport Plus
<br /><li><b>Radar:</b> Knocker<br /><li><b>Capacitor:</b> Seed for laser, jug for barrak.<br /><li><b>Shield:</b> Shelter<br /><li><b>Weapon:</b> Thorn or Barrak. Non duelist users may find an Injustice easier to hit with.<br /><li><b>ModX:</b> Duellist and 3 Flashfires or 4 Flashfires depending on personal preference.<br />
</ul><br /><br />A thorn scout can also mount a Ghost ECM with a fairly minimal effect on power to the weapon systems.<br /><br /><b><i>Uses</i></b><br /><br />The scout has two primary uses. Firstly, it is excellent for itís intended role Ė scouting. You can find enemy battle groups for fighters to engage, as you can easily escape most craft the enemy will send at you. The Peregrine is a good ship for breaking gatecamps, due to itís extreme survivability in the hands of a good pilot. This survivability makes it good at running enemy fighters out of flashfires, shuld they chose to engage you. Secondly, the Peregrine is a good support craft for a fleet of nixes. Itís speed and number of ModX allows it to run down enemy targets with ease. If a target runs, you can catch it and either kill it (if the pilot is inexperienced), or slow it down enough for the nixes to catch and kill it. <br /><br />Secondary uses of the scout include relatively mundane jobs such as beacon flipping. It is an excellent fluxer in groups of three.<br />
<br /><b><i>Scout ethos</i></b><br /><br />The first and most important thing to remember about scout driving is that about the only thing you can go toe-to-toe with is a shuttle. Never <i>ever</i> try to take a fighter or bomber on one to one. As soon as you start to get hit (or, indeed, as soon as it becomes obvious that the enemy is targeting you) you should be disengaging. You have minute shields, and IIRC it takes about 2 Ĺ thorn volleys from a nix to take your shields down. Thatís 2.1 seconds if they have a good aim. The trick about disengaging is to stay close enough to the enemy that you can re-engage quickly .The scout is a good ship for those who donít necessarily have the best aim, because evasive skills are more important and come fairly easily with practise.<br /><br /><b><i>Evasive techniques</i></b><br /><br />
Or scout survival 101, in muffy terminology. Evasive techniques differ depending on what the enemy is shooting at you. If an enemy just snaps a shot off at you to make you go away, just zoom away from them with your superior speed and acceleration, and you should be fine. If they start flashfiring after you and really trying to down you, the following two evasion techniques come into their own. They should enable you to save your flashfires for when you really need them: a critical life-or-death scenario or finishing off that Intensity!<br /><br /><b>Ammo</b>
<br /><br />Ammo ships are a gift to a scout. As long as you never run straight, you should always be okay. A tried and tested method of evasion is the barrel roll. The way I find easiest to do this is to pull back on the stick and rotate (eg by twisting on a twist grip stick). Do this gently Ė roll too quickly and you will just spin in space without your ship actually going anywhere. A scout should always be fine against an ammo ship Ė just NEVER run straight.<br /><br /><b>Lasers</b><br /><br />
Lasers are much more difficult to evade, because they are much easier to hit a jumpy target like a scout with. The standard technique is the Ďturn and burní. The concept is simple, but itís relatively hard for new pilots to pull of in realspace because you tend to get hit a bit when youíre doing the Ďturní part. Here goes:<br /><br />If you are more than 2.5k away from the ship when it flashfires, cut your throttle to 0. Turn to at least 90 degrees, and then bang the throttle up to full. If the ship is less than 2.5k away, do the same manouveur but keep your throttle at around 25% when you are turning. This hopefully makes you a bit harder to hit. Keep in mind that a half decent pilot WILL hit you when you are pulling this. The object is to get away with as little armour damage as possible.<br /><br />This move relies entirely on your relatively low mass compared to the fighter chasing you. As you accelerate at 90 degrees to the fighter, the fighter will find it very difficult to stay with you, even on a flashfire. They will generally go straight past you, desperately trying to compensate.<br /><br />If the enmy gets <i>really</i> close, ie around 300d, a decent tactic is to slam the brakes down. They should come sailing past you. You put some shots into them, and they will turn to face you. Just accelerate straight through them, and you will gain a lot of ground on them.<br /><br /><i>Advanced:</i> Good pilots may know what you are doing, and anticipate your turn, by turning in the direction that you are. If you continue to execute the manouveur they will likely keep up with you if they use flashfires. You need to watch them on the little display that you get of the object that you are targeting. If they seem to be turning to stay on you, just keep turning and fly straight through them Ė or put a few shots into them, wait for them to turn back to hit you, and then fly straight through them.<br /><br /><b>Rangers</b>
<br /><br />Dealing with rangers is surprisingly easy. Just joust them (being careful to avoid possible divebombs). You wonít kill them, but they shouldnít kill you either. Using this you can gain up to 5k lead to use to head wherever you want to go. If they catch you again, just them again. They are too heavy to stick with you. If you want to dock or go somewhere fast, you should call in a bit of nix support to blow them out of space. A less wise strategy is to just use your FF advantage (over all but the sol ranger) to build up a gap. The scout is a far superior ship to any of the rangers, for the following reasons:<br /><br /><ul><li>The ranger (post nerf) is way too heavy. This means that 'turn and burn' is relatively ineffective. Combined with less armour, this gets you killed quite easily. This is by far the most important reason why the ranger sucks.<br /><li>Fewer ModX. Absolute killer when combined with the increased mass.<br /><li>Turning rate. Another thing that means that 'turn and burn' is harder to pull off.<br /><li>Profile. The ranger is a lot easier to hit than a scout.<br /></ul><br /><br /><br /><b>Missiles</b><br /><br />
Missiles are very little threat to a scout, particularly when compared to a nix. Keep your speed up to a reasonable level (i.e. donít drop throttle to 0 unless you have to when turning), and you will be fine. <br /><br />
<b>Situations where you are pretty boned</b><br /><br />Unfortunately, these do exist. The two major culprits are:<br /><ul><li>When you get chased down by a Ranger and Fighter team: The ranger can force you to joust, and then the fighter can vape you while the ranger keeps you from running. Nasty situation. Call for support. If it can get there quickly, play with them for a bit until your support arrives, then vape them. If there is no support forthcoming, try to get the ranger to waste a flashfire. Once it ha, or you run low on armour, just FF for the nearest friendly area.<br /><li>Artied ships: Particularly arty tensities. These really are a total, utter bitch. If itís artied enough that itís faster than you, you should have a flashfire advantage. Joust it a bit (watch for a divebomb, so do it at an angle) and encourage it to use flashfires. Once it has, use your flashfires to run to the nearest friendly area. Then, preferably, dock and cower in the station until the nasty people have gone away <br /></ul><br /><br /><i><b>Offensive techniques</b></i><br /><br />Having said all that stuff about running, here comes the attacking bit. <i>Addendum 23/3/2003:</i> The new HFs will make scout flying a lot harder. Featherfire ions are the most effective anti-scout weapon, and the new HFs will be using the <i>a lot.</i> Combined with their firepower, I would suggest not attempting to take them on. Scouts may still be useful in an offensive role for taking down the intensities in a fleet, but they have been nerfed a lot in this respect. The evasion section is still very useful, but the Offensive techniquesshould be considered with a little extra caution.<br /><br /><b>Armaments</b><br /><br />Okay, your two main choices are the thorn and the barrak. Non duelly users may find the Injustice easier to use, but thatís discussed later. For most scout users, I recommend the thorn. Itís good for kicking the crap out of those nasty twisty turny Intensities and Typhoons. If you are a decent aim with ammo, then the barrak is excellent for taking down bombers. Feather bombers, in particular, are very nasty for a laser scout to take down. Itís a matter of personal preference, really.<br /><br /><b>Duelist</b><br /><br />A subject of hot debate. If you are using a barrak, you will be using a duelist, no argument. If you are using a laser, well the choice is more interesting. In a laser scout, you are mostly chasing things that arenít turning as wildly as they are when you are engaging them in a fighter. This makes hitting without a duelist relatively easy. Laser scouts should at least try out not using a duelist first. You may find it easier using an injustice, due to the higher rate of figher and only slightly lower damage per second. Personally, I prefer using a duelist even on a laser scout.<br /><br /><b>Flashfire useage</b><br /><br />Keep in mind that the advice I offer in this section may well change soon if players on this server start to get better at killing scouts. For now, however, it is valid, as most of the opponents you will face on this server just donít know how to handle scouts, due to their lack of sustained exposure to them. Experienced scout pilots may disagree with me however.<br /><br />You can be relatively free with your flashfires. The scout has so much survivability that you can live pretty well without them. Keep in mind that you should <i>not</i> be using them if the enemy is not flashfiring away from you and trying to run. Otherwise, itís just a waste. If you are new to the scout, I recommend keeping at least one or two for survival purposes if you make a mistake. Use your flashfires for vaping the Intensity as it runs on flashfires.<br /><br /><b>Vectoring</b><br /><br />This one is important for newbie scout pilots. If a target is running past you and not targeting you (itís probably just got creamed by a nix) <b>do not</b> stay facing towards it and snap a shot off as it passes, then turn to follow. Turn to the same direction as it is heading, and throttle up when it comes to about 2k. Allow them to go past you fairly easily (so that you donít float in front of them for the to put some shot into you), and then slam the throttle down. Then you can freely beat the [excrement] out of them while they panic =).<br /><br /><b>Targeting</b><br /><br />Find a target that is already getting hit hard, and add your firepower to it. If it runs, you can kill it. If it doesnít, the nix will kill it. Win, win. Do not bother (mid battle, unless ordered to) targeting someone still on high shield.<br /><br /><b>Missiles</b><br /><br />Okay, there are basically two choices for missiles. Big slow ones, or small fast ones. If you are good at missiles divebombing (Iím not), pick a nuke or a lance. You then just have to divebomb them. If youíre not good at divebombing, well Iím afraid that Iím not the one to teach you it. I recommend a Morning Star (if available) or a purg. Release around 2k ish range from the enemy, and they should hit reasonably regularly.</font></p>
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Free Database (JumpGate) All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: