UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Beta
Goto page Previous  1, 2

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Frog
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okay... I finished the in game tutorial and I just don't get a terribly enthusiastic feel from this game. I'm sure there is more to do then just mine, but it really doesn't FEEL like it. The tutorial just sort of leaves you hanging...
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lol patience, young padawan. Obi Wan Muffy will have FAQs up sooner than later. *g*
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, there's a lot to the game that's not implimented just yet. Whether that's because it's already been tested or because it's yet to be tested, I'm not sure.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Apr 17, 2003 4:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

bullshit. that's what NetDevil promised, but did we get anything but continued beta? nope. same high hopes for JumpGate as promised the same by CCP. I seriously doubt ANY new changes come release. period
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well i got in finally.....And just like the rest of yall am just a little lost...will fumble around for a while... and see what happens....

So far i really dont like the navigation and combat. Sucks not supporting a js. Freelancer at least lets the mouse work a little like a js. Oh well.

I also got into the StarWars beta... :grin: Lucky me!!

Hopefully the will be more fun......
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen some content changing over a couple of patches - but not initially functional. Nothing like mining 23000 Omber for a cool 775k isk (after processing of course) over 3 hours, which is more than enough to by any frigate out there. :) But yeah, it does get old. There are other things like manufacture and hauling. And of course, NPC pirates (like the universe needs them) to fight with. It is gathering a crowd of "what is RP?"ers - like any game out there.

Mining is still as boring as in JG, but not quite as much so. I really like the ore to mineral table they have, and it is interesting that there are more ore types than mineral.

There are some other things that I would like to try, but not sure if I want to jump into them or join a real corp first.

Overall, I kinda like it - but then it is still new. I have a feeling that it will be like JG and will always be under development - but you have to admit that the online numbers are impresive at this time (compaired to JG) - over 1000 people at the low side, and close to 3000 on the high.
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 4:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OMFG!!!!

rant

The Gall of some companies......To have to PAY!!! To beta a game for them!
FFS Why cant they just let us download it like everyother game company on the planet!!! I about told them where to stick their NOMINAL 5.95 (to burn a freeking cd).

chin but then again it IS StarWars...
I wonder if i am breaking the NDA by posting this :jawdrop:
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Apr 18, 2003 5:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What? It being Lucas Arts, you didn't feel something against your back? insane

How come I'm not suprised? 8P
Frog
Sergeant
Sergeant

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm finding EVE to be very tedious.

I find that many of the same tasks that I perform in Jumpgate are just mind numbingly boring in EVE... I'm not sure why. Perhaps having a joystick and a sense of actually piloting is what does it for me... Not sure.

Waiting for skills to increase without actually using them seems decidedly odd.

Ah well. I tried to have fun in Eve. However, sitting down to 'play' EVE feels like work; click repeatedly to find a choice rock and chew on it, wait, unable to alt tab and read something to pass the time,fly back to station, repeat. Chat with folks and try to tease some tidbits about where the content in the game is, only to be answered with a nebulous: "Eve is more then a mining simulator" or "You'll be able to do lots more when you have the cash"

However as everything is skill and therefore time based as far as access, and many necessary skills are terribly expensive, I can only see hours upon days upon weeks upon months of mining stretching into the future.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mmmmmmmmm....still undecided. i'd like to comment, but haven't spent more than 2 hours playing. I need at least 100hrs to fully comprehend the differences.

i AM impressed by the universe size. (though hooking up with hitechhick over in minmater terrritory wil prove challenging to say the least. he's got some good tips on stuff. see corp discussion for hints.
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sat Apr 19, 2003 2:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not the mining that I mind - it the the mind-numbing hauling the ore back to station that I mind. I'm going to try to pick up an industrial ship soon so maybe this will go better. Industrial ship for the Min is 675k+1m for the skill.

I mined over 40k Omber last night, and hauled 35k of it myself. Having something with 4 times the cargo would make the hauling much better - I just wish I knew how many cargo expanders I could throw on it.

I've heard people making millions off of manufacturing things (cargo expanders, mining lasers and AB mostly). I'll check out missions once they are not so messed up.
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Apr 21, 2003 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You do relize (i am sure ) that you need at least one skill before you can use the cargo expander modules.... mechanic i think.....50k. Personaly i think its kinda cheep to make good hardware inexpensive but then make you pay throught the nose to get the skill to use it. I will give this game till my SW Galaxies cd shows and if it hasnt gotten much better i am going to deep 6 it.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sat Apr 26, 2003 11:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Okie, I got my Rifter blown away by a CTD, lol.

beta testing the GM petition now ;)

If the market was working, I'd be back in another. <sigh>

Please don't send me back to mine!!!!!
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

GMs don't care what is lost to lag - and they are now saying that the new round of lag that is happening is due to the new clusters they are bringing online. Lag will kill the game, agreed - and will keep me from buying it.

Now there is a wonderful new "/cmd autopilot on" that automatically pilots your ship through the waypoints to your destination. A very sweet addition - especially for those that want to go exploring past 10 gates.
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Sun Apr 27, 2003 5:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, i agree they shouldnt replace things for lag (assuming it's reasonable), but replacing due to CTD once retail is something they better start considering. People won't like losing stuff due to their errors.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> Eve Public Forum All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: