UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

MicroSoft releases DirectX 9.0

View previous topic :: View next topic  

so is it just me or...
Don't touch it! eviiiiiiiiil
0%
 0%  [ 0 ]
old news...boooooooring
20%
 20%  [ 1 ]
works fine with JG...improvement
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
my workstation is now a crater
40%
 40%  [ 2 ]
Total Votes : 5

MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Dec 21, 2002 6:00 pm    Post subject: MicroSoft releases DirectX 9.0 Reply with quote

Adrenaline Vault article on DX9.0
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot uninstall? BAAAAD MS! FFS
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Dec 22, 2002 10:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

LOL
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 05, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Inquirer, UK wrote:
Nvidia's behind the scenes fights with Microsoft

Patents and money cause frustration

By Arron Rouse: Thursday 13 February 2003, 11:40

NVIDIA HELD A CONFERENCE IN LONDON over the last few days and a friend of ours who was doing some work at the venue happened to overhear a few interesting conversations. We caught up with him at a pub in London and fed him beer until there were no more beans to spill.
One of the most fascinating things he managed to listen in on was the story of Microsoft's attempt to flex its muscles with DirectX 9. It seems that a story we published a fair while ago uncovered a goodly amount of the truth.

When Microsoft was first putting together the specifications for DirectX 9 they gathered various companies together to help build the API. After a very short while, Intel and Nvidia both walked away from the whole thing and now we know why.

It seems that Microsoft wanted both companies to agree to reveal any patents they had relating to the technology the Vole was building. Once revealed, the Vole expected the companies to hand the patents over for good. Intel and Nvidia walked away. Only recently has it signed an altered agreement. That is why the GeForce FX does not follow the DirectX 9 specifications to the letter.

Another revelation that our friend managed to overhear was about the recent arbitration between Microsoft and Nvidia. We all know that the Vole was trying to get Nvidia to cut its prices but now we may know why. It was nothing to do with patents or Nvidia's ability to supply chips in volume. It was all to do with missed milestones and the chipset not performing as fast as Nvidia had promised. Microsoft is losing money at an incredible rate on Xbox and has been trying every trick in the book to get Nvidia to cut its prices.

The last thing our friend managed to eavesdrop on as he was packing up his kit was that Nvidia staff knew nothing about the GeForce FX being dropped. Nvidia is obviously doing its best to keep its people in the dark. There were plenty of complaints from the gathered developers when there were not enough cards to go around. They had been promised one each.
Nellie
Master Sergeant
Master Sergeant

PostPosted: Fri Mar 14, 2003 3:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well being desperate enough to see what all the fuss is about with Eve I took the plunge and slapped on DX9. Must admit that I havent noticed any particular problems with stability/gaming to date.

Though in some respects being well past getting excited about an extra 5 frames a second and whatnot I must admit I haven't looked too hard at just what the overall net effect on system performance when it comes to gaming actually is. Nothing I have at the moment is capable of making this particular system break out in a sweat in any case.

Interesting stuff on MS latest attempts tho ;)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 25, 2003 2:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Adrenaline Vault Article wrote:
Microsoft Releases DirectX 9.0a
Reported by: David Laprad

Microsoft Monday released Direct X 9.0a. The release resolves an issue with DX9 wherein some multiplayer games or MSN Messenger might not work correctly. A number of minor bugs were also resolved. DirectX is the core Windows technology that drives multimedia and games on the PC.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: