UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Two games on one PC?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 7:55 pm    Post subject: Two games on one PC? Reply with quote

OP-Ashraf wrote:
Yup it can be done - I've done it once before however the only way I could do it was to run it on a simulated machine inside windows which was very very very very very very slow, and also had all kinds of graphics issues. Which is why I only tried it once.

now that would be very useful to transfer stuff between a storage tow and your xth account...so, how the heck do we go about doing this? anyone care to post a linkie? (google isn't spitting out convenience today, i'm afraid)

Mulligan wrote:
Something like VMWare should allow you to. You'll need to mess with the network side of the virtual machine, but it should be possible. VMWare is pretty powerful stuff (we use it for testing and prototyping at work) and has a wealth of options for tweaking hardware, software and network settings.
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 8:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

vmware is a known virtal machine tool ... expensive ($299) ... there is a demo of it, gona test if jg runs under it ...

hey, that 2nd quote wasnt there when i posted ;p
    muffy says: yeah, it's annoying i can't have a 1337 "edited by ubermuffy" message
:p
update: the emulated graphics adapter in my version doesnt support d3d and it seems jg wants d3d ...
Code:
card 0 res 2 bitdepth 32 windowed 0
Video card 0 does not support d3d
Setting Video mode to 16
The method call is invalid. For example, a method's parameter may have an invalid value.
Failed to set video mode error code: -2005530516
Failed during initialization of video devices
still graphics isues ... i doubt i will get it running ...

Muffy says: someone answered part of that...
    TRON_uk wrote:
    "Video card 0 does not support d3d" means the display driver that VMWare supplies has no idea how to process d3d commands so that means it cannot setup the jumpgate window. Want to know how those who got it running avoided that problem? Well, d3d IS the problem if the driver doesn't support it, the only thing that i could think of, is possibly force d3d to use software emulation, the only thing i could think of to do this is to turn hardware acceleration off in the display properties but no that didn't work for me either...

The famous name whose origin traces back to death
Two maidens that control death
Black hands in fields of green
Please protect the peace

Last edited by me-777 on Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:23 pm; edited 1 time in total
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 9:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hm just remembered that POS storage bays (even as small as stated) will allow folks to transfer gear from storage tows....that is unless only one person has access to the bay.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 08, 2003 10:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinver wrote:
Come on guys, can it be done? I have windows XP if it helps. Can you really play two accounts SIMULTANEOUSLY??
Mulligan wrote:
No. With my understanding of networking, not off the same IP address. Unless you use a piece of software that sits between the two instances of Jumpgate (on one IP) and routes packets between the two instances, no. And that sort of IP routing is exactly what NAT does, only NAT routes between many machines behind one IP address, not many pieces of software.

:???: :???: :???: :???: :???: :???:

OP-Ashraf wrote:
Ok 2 ways I have done it are:

1) Remote desktop to another PC running Jumpgate and also Jumpgate on the "local" machine. You'll need another PC (obviously) and some remote control software like RealVNC which is free (and pretty good). Not sure if Terminal Services on XP Pro/2000 server will work as the gfx probably wouldnt initialise properly but VNC definately does. VNC is availiable at here

2) VMWare - run a virtual machine inside a windows program and play JG on that - needs a little fiddling to get it to work but it does work. You'll need to set the networking options to "Bridged" and give the virtual machine it's own IP address (I couldnt get NAT to work using this method for some reason). If youre going the bridged route then you should be behind a NAT router for your internet connection - if youre directly connected to the net via a modem or such like then the NAT option in VMware will probably work. Note that you'll need to install the VMWare Tools to the virtual machine to get the network to work properly (theres an option to do this from the menu). VMWare can be found Here - you can get a 30 day trial of workstaiton.

Also FWIW, VMWare is just the dogs of a application - you can run Windows in Unix/Unix in Windows with either virtual 'file based' partitions or with direct access to the physical disks. If you regularly need both Windows/Unix/etc I'd thoroughly recommend it.
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 3:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can have two Jumpgate sessions running on one IP, but not on the same PC. It's due to listener ports and such.

You need to have a NAT router (or similar) that support translation of TCP headers to have multiple sessions on one IP. (translated to english it means that the router "tags" the traffic to and from JG so that the correct packets are routed to the right session.)

A VMWare PC is not the same PC as the real one, so the same rules above applies to VMWare too. Terminal Services does not support any kind of DirectX (not even emulated), so that will never run JG. I seriously question the capabilities of VNC to run two JG sessions on the same PC, but I have not tried it myself.

At one point I had 7 (!) JG sessions running on my LAN (6 PCs and 1 VMWare PC), that share the same NATed external IP. No problem whatsoever. Was a blast to have noob friends trying to dock in the sim while I was shooting OV enemies outside the station. ;)
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 4:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

someone tell me how i get jumpgate to run under vmware...

now i have vmware 3.2.0 and run win2ksp3, vmwatetools and dx8.0a on it. jg wont start. :(

maybe i should dig for win98 ...
Please protect the peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 5:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

? you need dx8.1. dumbass. lol
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

8.0a should be fine, i ran jg all the time with 8.0a until i upgraded to 9.0 for freelancer ...

i use win2k, if i remember right 8.1 is the same as 8.0a on 2k...

or you mean just with vmware?
btw: dx9.0 didnt do better either...

but if u say so ... downloading dx 8.1 from fileplanet right now ... well, not from fileplanet, 170 minutes wait is too long ... lets check download.com ...

update: same result with dx8.1
its not dx or d3d, its the damn graphics-card that gives a error when its told to switch to 640x480x16 fullscreen ...
Please protect the peace

Last edited by me-777 on Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:35 pm; edited 1 time in total
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'm probably wrong. thwack me upside the head if i was. That's so wierd you can't get JG running at all...I wonder if there's a forum dedicated to this stuff? Ars Technica perhaps?
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From [url=http://www.vmware.com/support/kb/enduser/std_adp.php?p_sid=NIxGNLDg&p_lva=&p_faqid=912&p_created=1043275264&p_sp=cF9ncmlkc29ydD0mcF9yb3dfY250PTImcF9zZWFyY2hfdGV4dD1kaXJlY3R4JnBfc2VhcmNoX3R5cGU9MyZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMT1_YW55fiZwX3Byb2RfbHZsMj1_YW55fiZwX2NhdF9sdmwxPX5hbnl_JnBfY2F0X2x2bDI9fmFueX4mcF9zb3J0X2J5PWRmbHQmcF9wYWdlPTE*&p_li=]VMWare KB[/url] about DirectX support:
Quote:
Windows can emulate Direct3D support for a device that does not support hardware acceleration, (such as VMware's virtual SVGA adapter), but most 3-D capable graphics applications will run very slowly, or not at all, in this condition.
What kinda of error do you get when you run JG? It should work even though it's slow (don't even think about launching...)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

VMWare wrote:
Q: Are Direct3D graphics supported in a virtual machine?
A: Direct3D is not supported at this time. Products requiring this feature do not run in a virtual machine, even if they install without errors.

okay, so how the hell did OP-Ashraf and Mulligan get this to work? how about the others who said it was possible? (were they merely speculating and "exaggerating" their tale to sound like it was from personal experience?)
    possible. very possible. not malice at all. no flame intended, but it's conceivable OP-Ashraf's memory is only human
WKU-linux wrote:
As far as VMware (for Linux):

DirectDraw/DirectX graphics support:

VMware provides very limited support for DirectDraw through the HEL
(Hardware Emulation Layer) in DirectDraw. Many DirectDraw applications
will not run in a virtual machine.

Microsoft Windows 95, Windows 98 and Windows NT's DirectDraw can emulate
DirectX/DirectDraw support for device that does not support DirectDraw
(such as VMware's virtual SVGA adapter). This is done in the HEL (Hardware
Emulation Layer) within DirectDraw. This emulation may be slow and/or
unreliable.

Direct3D graphics is not supported in a virtual machine:

Direct3D is not supported at this time. Products requiring this feature
will not run in a virtual machine, even if they install without errors.

However, OpenGL does appear to work for the most part, but I have no
specifics on limitations. I found it to be fairly slow while programming
for Crawfords OpenGL class.

-dave

me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i give up now.

i tryed every vmware version i could get up to the 4.0 beta.
i tryed win2k and win98
i tryed dx 8.0, 8.1 and 9.0
both full and no hardware-acceleration in display-propertys
i tryed both a patched and a fresh installed jg

all gave the same result of a black window for about 1 sec and then im back at the desktop. the error.txt always looks like in my former post...
Please protect the peace
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Mar 09, 2003 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

X_X
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sinver wrote:
Anyone here use VMWare? I need guidance!! The title says it all! I tried to install windows xp on the virtual pc, but my cd is only the upgrade. I need to put an actual version of windows on it. I am not going to go out and buy a bloody cd, but have an old backup of windows me. However, when I try to use it I get the message saying my hard disk isnt partitioned. Help!!
me-777 wrote:
Then partition your harddisk ;) and dont forget to format it ...need more help?
  • get a bootdisk (image from the web, or make one in w98 or something...)
  • start the vmware-machine from it
  • use fdisk to partition your harddisk
  • use format to format it (you guessed that? then you dont need more help? ok...)
  • put the copy of your old win on it (your bootdisk has a cd-driver, right?)
  • install win xp (why xp? 2k is much nicer... and the sound is better under vmware...)
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sat Mar 15, 2003 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey muffy, do you collect annything i post?
that was just a quick post i threw together, not my colected wisdom... ;)

btw, i write this in win2k-sp3 running on a VMWare Workstation e.x.p build-4183 running under win2k-sp2 ...
in background i have a mp3 playing on the vmware-pc, that mp3 is read from my fileserver ... playing a mpeg is no problem either ... hmm, the divx codecs are missing ... who cars :p

well annyways... here some more details...
http://www.powerload.fsnet.co.uk/bootdisk.htm is a good place to look for a bootdisk-image (vmware can use those, the win98 one is the one you want.)
for getting stuff onto the vmware-drive i sugest making a cd-image and mounting it in vmware, cdrwin is what i use to make the images... the backup option...

later when windows (and the network) is running using network-shares is faster ...

what else... oh yea, it comes handy to make a copy of the harddrive-image when you got dos with cd-drivers installed, you can install most win-versions on that basis later and you save a bit time.
Please protect the peace
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 16, 2003 9:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

seems VMWare was a wrong track, sinver found out how to do it, without it:
sinver wrote:
Mär 16 08:53:47 --> sinver[_KFC_] (sinver@host217-32-115-15.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has joined #jumpgate
Mär 16 08:53:56 <sinver[_KFC_]> yoohoo! anyone here?
Mär 16 08:54:00 <engorde> ya
Mär 16 08:54:11 <sinver[_KFC_]> hi, anyone tried connecting to jg?
Mär 16 08:54:14 <sinver[_KFC_]> i cant!
Mär 16 08:54:17 <engorde> i did
Mär 16 08:54:23 <engorde> server is down
Mär 16 08:54:29 <sinver[_KFC_]> bummer
Mär 16 08:54:40 <sinver[_KFC_]> well at least i know it isnt me
Mär 16 08:54:45 <engorde> hehe
Mär 16 08:54:55 <engorde> well, they might be working on it now
Mär 16 08:55:01 <sinver[_KFC_]> lets hope so
Mär 16 08:55:17 <sinver[_KFC_]> i got lots to do, i need to get my ither pilot to lvl 30
Mär 16 08:55:31 <sinver[_KFC_]> now i have learned how to run 2 accs on same pc
Mär 16 08:56:02 <engorde> oh, wanna share that knowledge? :)
Mär 16 08:56:33 <sinver[_KFC_]> do you have a lan card?
Mär 16 08:56:42 <engorde> ya
Mär 16 08:56:55 <sinver[_KFC_]> good cos you need one!
Mär 16 08:57:18 <sinver[_KFC_]> please bear in mind, im not a pc techie so ill explain it best i can
Mär 16 08:57:43 <sinver[_KFC_]> also, i use win xp, so any differences i dont know to other windows
Mär 16 08:58:10 <engorde> i got win2k
Mär 16 08:58:10 <sinver[_KFC_]> what windows you using?
Mär 16 08:58:14 <sinver[_KFC_]> ah i see
Mär 16 08:58:30 <sinver[_KFC_]> well, you know the option to show all network connections?
Mär 16 08:59:02 <sinver[_KFC_]> lets call your usual internet connection "A" and your lan card "B"
Mär 16 08:59:10 <sinver[_KFC_]> connect to A as usual
Mär 16 08:59:29 <sinver[_KFC_]> then right click on the icon for A, and select proerties
Mär 16 09:00:12 <sinver[_KFC_]> you then need to find the "internet connectoin sharing" bit, in xp its in the advanced tab
Mär 16 09:00:19 <sinver[_KFC_]> with me?
Mär 16 09:01:07 <engorde> ya
Mär 16 09:01:15 <engorde> but there a "but" for me
Mär 16 09:01:35 <engorde> i use lan card to contact for router and that way to internet
Mär 16 09:01:44 <sinver[_KFC_]> ok, on this option, theres a "allow other netowrk users to share" option, enable it
Mär 16 09:01:50 <sinver[_KFC_]> then select your lan card
Mär 16 09:02:31 <engorde> yup sure
Mär 16 09:02:34 <engorde> go on
Mär 16 09:02:35 <sinver[_KFC_]> the bottom right theres a "settings" button, see it?
Mär 16 09:02:49 <sinver[_KFC_]> it should be eabled so you can press it
Mär 16 09:02:54 <sinver[_KFC_]> *enabled
Mär 16 09:04:18 <sinver[_KFC_]> you will have a list, asking you to select the services that you want to share with other internet users
Mär 16 09:04:22 <sinver[_KFC_]> you see it?
Mär 16 09:05:52 <sinver[_KFC_]> deslect ALL the boxes
Mär 16 09:06:11 <sinver[_KFC_]> then run your first jg client
Mär 16 09:06:22 <sinver[_KFC_]> connect it to server as per usal
Mär 16 09:06:32 <sinver[_KFC_]> then alt-tab it to desktop
Mär 16 09:06:37 <sinver[_KFC_]> still with me?
Mär 16 09:06:41 <engorde> yep
Mär 16 09:06:56 <engorde> i gotta do that a bit different way but i got the point :)
Mär 16 09:07:09 <sinver[_KFC_]> ok, go back to the settings again, and a new option will be ticked, called jumpgate
Mär 16 09:07:11 <engorde> its a bit different with win2k
Mär 16 09:07:20 <sinver[_KFC_]> i thought it might be, lol
Mär 16 09:07:26 <engorde> hehe
Mär 16 09:07:29 <engorde> but anyway
Mär 16 09:07:37 <engorde> now i know what to do, thx m8
Mär 16 09:07:43 <sinver[_KFC_]> basically, back in the properties of the A connection, back in the settings
Mär 16 09:08:01 <sinver[_KFC_]> you need to deselect the jg box, run second client
Mär 16 09:08:08 <sinver[_KFC_]> hope this helps!
Mär 16 09:08:17 <sinver[_KFC_]> shame the servers down!!
Mär 16 09:08:27 <sinver[_KFC_]> oh, one thing to rememebr though
Mär 16 09:08:59 <sinver[_KFC_]> when i run 2 accs, i cant alt-tab them to desktop, cos each time i press alt-tab it switches between accs
Mär 16 09:09:12 <engorde> ok
Mär 16 09:09:32 <sinver[_KFC_]> ok, im off to make a cuppa, then ill try server again
Mär 16 09:09:48 <sinver[_KFC_]> be sure to share this knowledge, its rare
Mär 16 09:09:57 <sinver[_KFC_]> took me ages to find someone who knew how to do it!
Mär 16 09:10:44 <-- sinver[_KFC_] (sinver@host217-32-115-15.in-addr.btopenworld.com) has left #jumpgate
well, i hope its ok with sinver if i post it here, but he said himself "be sure to share this knowledge" ...
Please protect the peace
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: