UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stars! (or "Let's get this thing off the groud")

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:00 pm    Post subject: Stars! (or "Let's get this thing off the groud") Reply with quote

Right. Let's play Stars!.

Requirements
The latest version is 2.7j. You must register the game (or rather, buy a registration code) to use this version. The registration fee is $14.30/€14.90.
There is a 2.7i version as well, and we (I) got several valid reg codes for this version. There is however lots of good changes made in the J version, so I'd really like to use that version...

Host
One of us needs to host the game. The host sends and recieves all players turns by email. Host will also generate the new turn at a set time each day. Turns not submitted by that time will be skipped (the show must go on and all that).

Rules
We need to set game rules, such as galaxy size, winning conditions and so on. We also need race rules, such as allowed PRTs, immunity count. And also diplomacy rules, are alliances allowed, should alliances be worked out before the game starts.

So... Who wants to join?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 6:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wtg good to go

well, i say we have a FFA before we decide who to match up...I say let's go FFA at first and then let nature take it's course. I'm sure someone getting whomped on will be aided by others fearful of the one with the momentum.

2-4 players i'd say small map, packed density, distant starts, acc.BBS play, yes to random events...no computer players (unless we go coop? but that would change everything so forget it)...not sure about win conditions. Actually, i do have a win condition: We all quit the game once someone has been defeated. That way we can keep this short and sweet.

As for restricted stuff? i don't know. i'm not aware of any exploits, so if someone is aware of such plz don't use them. thx. *g*...otherwise i'd say do whatever because the points ARE balanced.
    what i would suggest is people post their race stats...that way we could debate and stuff before hand. i'm sure knowing another's faction descriptions might even bring some deeper strategy into our races.
As for hosting and timed turns? uhm...one per day sounds grand. I've found it's no problem at all really. (at the height of my game with Lormar we were doing a turn every 12 hours)

BTW, here's what is required:
Quote:
Before the game can be created all players must email the Host their Race file.

After the game is created (year 0) each player needs to download the universe file [gamename.xy] and their player file [gamename.mN (where N is the player number)] for the newly created game. Alternately, you can upload or email gamename.xy and gamename.mN to each player. These files will be located in the same directory in which you saved the game.

All a player needs to do from that point on in is 'save turn and submit' (Ctrl + A i believe) then email the log file (the one with the x attribute)
    and all the host has to do is generate the turn once all submissions are in and then email out the m files

well, here's my race profile (password is Phoenix)
    i was at USENET's forum and learned alot about BBS play as opposed to AI work. I started a thread that ended up with 70 posts...it all started with me asking if 10% growth was optimal for my Antetheral race variant. see here
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 12:15 am    Post subject: Start! Reply with quote

Most of that sounds good...altho i dont like the idea of posting the race stats. Half the fun is trying to figure out the others strong and week points. If someone ends up uber (like du!) we will end up allied agianst them....Keeps life interesting. Think i would prefer a lager galaxy but that really depends on the number of players.

We should also try and pick a day we can all be there to run turns as fast as we can for the start....get things going quickly.

my :2c:

TTFN
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Right. 3 players!

We'll fill this 16 player galaxy in no-time at this rate... tired
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Jan 21, 2003 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:E
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

long time ago (back in mailbox-age) i played a bit stars! but the shareware version, we never got to finish a game as the host dug up a new server-version and we had to start over ;) and that each month...

i even bought a full version ... found it ... there were only like 30 other cd's ontop of it ... oh its version 2.70b ... i wonder if there are upgrades ...
The famous name whose origin traces back to death
Two maidens that control death
Black hands in fields of green
Please protect the peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i'll be off on vacation till monday so i'm afraid that might put a damper on things for now, and i'm betting EP2 pops up before we get going for real.
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 3:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

huh, made a litle mistake: the thing with new host-version each month was vga-plantes ... but i think we tryed stars! too (it was really long ago ;))
Please protect the peace
View user's profile Send private message Visit poster's website AIM Address Yahoo Messenger MSN Messenger
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:11 pm    Post subject: upgrades Reply with quote

Ya all the patches are available....you can get to 2.07I from the makers web site http://crisium.com/

The J patch i got from Freak and i dont have the link anymore. :headbang:
Am sure he will post the link as soon as he comes back......
Looking forward to getting my ass kicked again....
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewtopic.php?t=1151
should be there somewhere
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 22, 2003 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

google helped me to find the j version ... i was playing it since i found it like 10 minits after my post ;)

but i look bad against the ai, i wonder how i would look against other player ... well, i just get problems when it gets to control 10+ planets ...
Please protect the peace
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Jan 23, 2003 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Read this. it was my Q&A session on USENET
Hurricane
Squadleader
Squadleader

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hummmm I wouldn't mind joining you all in a game of Stars! My bud Fidler from -=MACK=- might be interested in joining as well. I'll send him in this direction so he can read up on what you all are planning. Contact me on icq at 7111399 if you decide to really get this going.
Fidler
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sun Jan 26, 2003 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Howdy all,

Yes, I am interested in getting in a PBEM game.

I have been playing Stars! Probably close to 10 years now, started on the original version floated by the Jeff’s on the BBS’s in the era of 1200 baud modems, though on and off, and not too much lately.

First, I want to make sure everyone has the right version. There were actually 3 versions of the J patch, please make sure you have the JRC3 (release candidate 3) version, the other 2 J releases had some major bugs in it. There are bugs and ways to cheat in JRC3, but I will not state what they are and if you already know I hope you all will refrain from using them.

Any code you have from version 2.7 or 2.6 (the only difference is 2.6 is download version and 2.7 is CD version both are compatible) version will work with subsequent patches. However, a 2.6 code should not work on a 2.7 version and vice versa.

A word of caution here about the codes, there can be major problems for players who use the same code. There is a built in copy protection that can mess up your turns, such as fleets turning on you, population revolting etc, so we want to make sure that the protection is not activated. You can use the same code on different computers as long as you do not send turns from both. If you cover for a friends turn DO NOT send from separate computers. DO NOT give a friend your code to use, the different computers will trigger it.

For those of you that are worried that you did badly against the AI, playing against humans is completely different. Humans can adapt and counter better, but AI’s do not do diplomacy. Most of the time diplomacy is most of the game, excepting blitz games that is. Every race has assets to share with the others, so attacking everyone you meet just gets you dead while others share resources. Also, there is tech trading, going alone on tech is a long road.

I also would be against sharing race info ahead of time, I know I could counter any race design with one that could utterly defeat it. Another key aspect of the game is to use the strength of your race while trying to hide your weaknesses.

I will gladly answer any questions anyone has, feel free to ask, stars is not your typical learn as you fly game, it all starts with your race design, one of the most critical parts.

For hosting anyone of us can or we can get a slot at Autohost.

I can post more information as you get closer to starting the game.

Fidler
Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 8:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got my race ready, and I'm OK to go any day now.. :)

Does Autohost generate when all turns are submitted, or at a set time each day?

What kind of winning rules are good to use anyway?

PostPosted: Mon Jan 27, 2003 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Autohost will gen when all turns are in or when the pre-selected time interval has passed.

Example is if the gen time is set at 24 hour 1100 GMT then it will gen at the 24 hour 1100 GMT, if turns are sent earlier then it will gen when they are in, then it will wait the minimum 24 hours before genning again. If the turns were all sent in before 1000 GMT it would wait the 25 hours, then gen.

It can also be paused by the host.

In the beginning most will be able to do their turns in a minute or 2, as the game gets higher in turns it will gradually become hours to do a turn. Typically turns are genned a couple times a day in the first 20 turns, after that things tend to settle to once a day and then people struggle to get their turns in after the first 100.

A word of advice, if you do have the staying power for a game Stars! is not for you. Games can last several months and I have seen some go over a year. Though, those were 16 player games.

Also, I really suggest reading the micromanagement section of the stars! FAQ, www.crisium.com/stars/ssg/ssg.htm, otherwise your turns are going to become nightmares.

The rules I usually set are 100% of all planets. That way we could declare the winner instead of the computer, and also allows for alliances to win instead of single players.
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Jan 29, 2003 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Zeshin
Sgt 1st Class
Sgt 1st Class

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*bump*

6 Players so far: Zeshin, Muffy, Lormar, me-777, Hurricane and Fidler.

Who will start the game at autohost?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 12:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

not me. i'm about as dependable as the Mad Hatter. *wonders if that's even apropos*
8P
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i found out why i will loose: wrong strategy, well i cant do much about it, its how i play every strategy-game and its wrong most times :(

im not sure if i really wanna play...

my race isnt annywhere near finished annyways (finding a name will be a big problem...and the racefile went corrupt, gotta start again.)

does one stand a chance with a standard-race?
Please protect the peace
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:???: I wouldnt even have a clue where to start!!!

On a side note I have been tweeking my race.....So maybe i will be slightly more competitive this time MF.

Speaking of where and when do we need to send our final file?

Also...Me77 dont worry about it to much...i am sure i will get clobered just as badly as you do....and the standard races suck.
me-777
EU Advisor
EU Advisor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 13, 2003 5:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ok, ok i think i got my race back together...

what settings will we use?
i think i need to tweak my race a bit if some settings are set ;)
Please protect the peace
Fidler
Private
Private

PostPosted: Sat Feb 15, 2003 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Here I thought you all gave up on getting a game going.

The standard races are not worth wasting your time with, they will get squashed.

However, with stars nothing is a given. A very well designed race can be squashed easily and a poorly designed race can rise near the top, a lot of it depends on luck of placement, style of play, planet values in your area, etc, that is the draw of stars, nothing is certain, no matter how many times you play it.

I can start the game, but would need to know what kind of game you guys want to play. All human, some AI, human vs AI, free for all, etc.

As a suggestion, we typically start with shorter, smaller games to train newbies so they are not strapped with badly designed races for many months. That way they can see how races develop in real games and tweak them. It also gives them a better feel for actually game play and interaction with other players, it is a totally different game when playing with other human controlled races in it.

I will be away next week, but after that I can set the game up.
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Sun Feb 16, 2003 3:59 am    Post subject: A short game Reply with quote

Yes yes....!! a shorter game would be wonderfull Fidler.....I have totaly new race that i would love to test against real ppl...

Let me know what i need to do? If anything.... HELP
:)-
Too much beer tonight....soryr for any typooos
:grin:
tired tired
OP-Toast
Offical GM
Offical GM

PostPosted: Wed Feb 19, 2003 8:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ooh, Stars!. Coolness :)

I lost my manual tho :/

/me goes off to hunt thru the piles of crap on the floor to find the sacred ID String
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Tue Mar 11, 2003 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

wooops! guess this is gonna go on the backburner while we gear up for EP2. lol
Kami
Ex-Assistant GM
Ex-Assistant GM

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 3:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

How about we all find a Freelancer server and get together from time to time?
Lormar
Staff Sergeant
Staff Sergeant

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:11 pm    Post subject: Freelancer Reply with quote

The demo was fun!! But not sure I am going to drop $50 on it. In a couple of months the price will drop to something reasonable. In the mean time i will content myself with building big cities for my sims!

A Stars! game would still be a nice distraction! Anybody else still want to get it on?

Speaking of wich has nothing to do with anything how is EP2 ?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Mar 12, 2003 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

*muffy points to the "gameplay" forum*
http://umec.oesm.org/phpBB/viewforum.php?f=17
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: