UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

NetDevil's next project (aside from EP2)

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sat Sep 28, 2002 7:26 am    Post subject: NetDevil's next project (aside from EP2) Reply with quote

ND general forum thread
Looks like it's a car wars/autoduel sorta game, according to the forum member comments.
Talon wrote:
One other thing to keep in mind. ND has now partnered with NCSoft, probably the largest publisher of online games out there. Another rather small company (Cryptic Studios) developing a MMOG called City of Heroes also partnered with NCSoft earlier this year. I can't find the exact text, but I know at the time of the announcement that the Cryptic folks had said the partnership allowed them to do several things. One of those was that it gave them the financial stability to move into larger offices and also hire more programmers and artists.

Has anyone thought that maybe this sort of thing might happen with ND? Maybe by partering with NCSoft they'll be able to hire more staff and can dedicate a few more to Jumpgate. We really don't know what's going to happen.

Yes, it would be nice to hear SOMETHING from ND about this and how it will affect Jumpgate. But I personally think partnering with NCSoft will have a positive affect on Jumpgate as well as the new project.

:2c:

And here's Adrenaline Vault's news article on 'Wreckage'
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 4:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Since we all like JG I hope ND can make another great game cause there's a lotta "Car Wars" fans out there. Sure hope ND has more programmers now, cause they're gonna get stretched real thin between JG and their new project. Don't want Josh to keel over trying to code every ND game! insane
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Sun Sep 29, 2002 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally, i preferred this instead...

http://www.sjgames.com/ogre/

;)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 8:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

GM_Arch0n wrote:
Fellows-
Yes, NetDevil is working on a new game, but they are still supporting Jumpgate. The new game had nothing to do with the delay of episode 2. If Wreckage didn't exist, the impact would be that NetDevil would be a smaller company, not that Jumpgate would have a larger live team.

How big is the team? There's currently 2 developers working on Jumpgate full time (Josh, Digitus) and 2 that do part-time work on it (Scorch, Sam Penguin). On top of that there's 2 full time GMs (Moll, Virgil) and 3 part-time GMs (Snaps, Archon, Savant). If you think that's an inappropriately small live team, consider that Turbine's Asheron's Call had only about two times as many for its playerbase of 80,000. Remember that a live team is supported out of subscription revenues, not out of publisher capital.

So of course now you want to know how big the subscription revenues are. I can't give the numbers - no surprise. But I know some of you see the numbers of pilots online and compare that to traditional fantasy MMGs and conclude that the subscriber base is unsustainable.

So let me tell you, don't think that. Here's why: (1) the incidence of multiple accounts per player is higher in Jumpgate than any other game I've seen, and (2) average hours of player per player is lower in Jumpgate than in, e.g. EQ - for many reasons, one of which is that there's very little to gain from camping and another of which is that JG is a little more demanding to play than a point-and-click game.

The upshot is that the playerbase is larger than you guys think, but your best friend is probably also the second account of your sneaky arch-foe, and neither of him logs on that often.

Hope that clears things up! That's the goods.

Best,
GM Archon

SamPenguin wrote:
A Big Corporate Hug :grouphug:
Hey folks-

I've been reading the concerns and congratulations on various webboards, and I thought it would be appropriate for one of us "old skool" devs to add a sentiment or five.

First, let me clear up a few misconceptions. One, I assure you we are by no means driving Ferraris. Don't assume you can estimate our revenues based on how many accounts show up on the websites. As for certain quoted estimates on publisher money, see point 5.

Two, considering Jumpgate was largely built by 3 people, the fact that there are 2 full-time and 3 part-time developers (you forgot Piza, Archon ) who now work on it, in addition to an entire support staff in the form of Themis, in addition to the testing feedback we receive from MightyGames, doesn't that mean we've increased our commitment to it? Or am I in bizarro math land here, where addition actually means subtraction?

Third, as for not caring about our Jumpgate customers and community, nothing could be further from the truth. Jumpgate is our baby, and always will be. We have bent over backwards to keep this game running, adding content, adding features, and addressing the resulting bugs (yes, new features = new bugs!). As for stability remarks, am I the only one who plays other online games?

I'll agree we don't actively talk to the community like we did during the beta. We do this because we would only get in Themis' way. They filter through all the nonsense and relay to us what the important issues are. We attempt to fix them. They manage the community, we develop the code. It's that simple.

Fourth, regarding "if only they put the new game's resources into Jumpgate," remarks. If only it were that simple. It turns out publishers are not very happy when they give you money to make a game, and you spend that money on something else. As a result, pretty much all game companies with multiple development projects keep them very, very separate. Jumpgate stands on its own legs, or it doesn't stand at all... this will be no different with any game you ever come across.

I wonder if Sony doesn't care about Everquest because of Playstation 2? EA probably gave up on UO when they made The Sims. And Blizzard definitely has no love for Starcraft customers, as they have obviously put all their resources into Warcraft over the last 4 years. All of these statements are equally as ridiculous as saying NetDevil no longer cares about Jumpgate because of Wreckage.

Fifth, when requoting information, please consider the source. There are people in this world who will do anything to get some attention or cause a stir. For example, oh, I don't know... claim to have insider information and make wild, completely false statements on a game web board after they have been banned from said game. Why someone would do this is beyond me. I don't understand the Hollywood Juice Diet either, yet people buy it too, so go figure.

So that's all I have to say about that.

On a different note, for those of you reminiscing on a certain old skool pen and paper game, I think you will be VERY, VERY excited about Wreckage... I know I am. Stay tuned!

Take it easy, everyone!

-SamPenguin

ps- did anyone else see that Big Red Thing in Aman Hook the other day?

??? you mean the example he was referring to was royofCA??? someone enlighten me please!!!
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 4:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Fifth, when requoting information, please consider the source. There are people in this world who will do anything to get some attention or cause a stir. For example, oh, I don't know... claim to have insider information and make wild, completely false statements on a game web board after they have been banned from said game. Why someone would do this is beyond me. I don't understand the Hollywood Juice Diet either, yet people buy it too, so go figure.

Roy did say a lot of things, which a GM informed me most of which was wrong - not to mention that Innom and another said the same right after Roy had stopped his ranting... Besides, a lot of what Roy said was pretty much public knowledge anyway (for those who've been around to listen).

I don't know or really care if the links are still up for what roy said. Of course, GMs are paid to lie too - just look at MG? roll
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no no no...you misunderstood me. i couldn't care less if royofCA knew the fucking meaning of life! I meant to say, "who was banned?"
    at least that was my implied intent. lol. i knew full well what those wankers spout off about: fuck all. you know why i know this? because those fuckups couldn't understand something i really want to know simply because they CAN'T see what they don't understand even if Digitus fed it to them with a goddamned spoon! LOL

Last edited by MajorFreak on Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Mon Sep 30, 2002 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

"ps- did anyone else see that Big Red Thing in Aman Hook the other day?"

BTW-Anyone know what Sam's talking about?
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 2:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

an old old quote from a search through JG.stratics.com site.
Scorch wrote:
What percentage of our development efforts goes towards improving jumpgate vs. new projects will be directly decided by the success of jumpgate. If fewer than 5000 people sign up for jumpgate it would be hard to imagine spending even more money continuing game development. However, if 50000 people sign up for jumpgate there could be an entire staff dedicated to nothing more than adding ships, space locations, equipement, game play features,etc. as a full time process for years. Obviously we would love it if lots of people sign up for the game but if for some reason it is not popular (look at System Shock 2, one of the best games I have ever played and it did not do well in stores) I do not want to promise a whole new world of features. Of course either way we will be committed to making the game fun for however many players sign up for the game.
Bagger88
Warrant Officer
Warrant Officer

PostPosted: Fri Dec 20, 2002 5:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So, if there are 41 active players at 1245 PM EST on a Friday (US Server), I guess we would prolly be down toward the bottom of those numbers/staffing..... chin
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Wed Feb 12, 2003 11:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PlanetNetdevil general forum thread
Looks like we know a bit more about who's leading the project development board and the American division of the company that's profiting so much from the Korean Lineage game.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> News, Reviews & Articles All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: