UMEC Forum Index UMEC
United Mining Exploration Commission: A group of friends playing JumpGate-- "a MMORPG that launched smoothly, breaks from fantasy character setting, emphasizes PvP, and is the first persistent world space simulator that nobody talks about." ~Scorch

FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

I think we need to start pimping driver tweaking.

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Oct 24, 2002 7:00 pm    Post subject: I think we need to start pimping driver tweaking. Reply with quote

far be it for me to speak on such weighty subjects (tended to flee in terror of tweaks...healthy fear that) I do believe there's something to be said for simply reading the manual given on some very intuitive sites.

now. mind you this is hardware/OS level stuff here, but nothing fancy. If you find games aren't really tweaked adn your expensive Graphics card seems to act like a commodore 64 while running top of the line games you might be incredibly surprised by the boost if you do it right.
    if you don't have the patience to spend a few hours (short term pain, long term gain) then don't read further...i don't want to be responsible for some dumbass lazy idiot flaming me for cooking their cpu

don't worry, i'm not gonna pimp overclocking. that's amateur style
alrighty then. sit back and click here:
For voodoo3 users
For voodoo4/5 users
For GeForce users
For Kyro 1/2 users

now i'm an idiot when it comes to tweaking and usually did more harm than good...but, this time these guys really knew how to lead me through making my game software scream. And wow! goodbye stutter graphics!
    for me it involved Geforce2 MX-400 with a hybrid motherboard from AMD/VIA...the old Athlon 550. IF anyone has that still and wants a walkthrough feel free to let me know and i'll work something up

I think the reason i'm excited about sharing this is probably the fact the for ONCE nvidia made a top drawer driver for the geforce/tnt video card. normally i shy away from it but wow. I used to use my manufacturers drivers cause i didn't trust nvidia, but it's now completely automated (plus the NVMAX program now out is great if you follow their instructions on that site i linked)
MajorFreak

PostPosted: Thu Feb 06, 2003 6:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

*You should put your contrast to maximum and brightness to minimum first. Then increase your brightness. Stop as soon as you see all numbers. *
    I never put contrast to 100%...dunno why i did, perhaps i thought it would wreck my monitor?
BTW, i have 100% contrast and 66% brightness (i can see the first "One" comfortably...at 50% it starts to disappear) wow. colours are really nice now...almost too much for me to handle. Hmmmm...maybe i should play a movie just to see if it works for that media type too.
    okay, just started my Adobe Gamma option in my Settings-->Control Panel window and so far my Contrast/Brightness setting is good to go at 66%; that's the first test, the second deals with uh...

WTF anyways, i click the next button and see this stupid "Gamma" setting...i glanced at a site that looks like it knows what it's talking about say set the Gamma to 2.5 so i do. (i trust it because i regard anything that looks intimidating to be usually reliable in quality)
    LOL
    Anyhow, i click the next and get something talking about "White point" and it's got a button that allows me to "measure" it. whatever 'IT' is...okay, so i turn off my lights (ie. ambient light) and get ready to play, "Pin the tail on the donkey". (don't ask me wtf 'Neutral Gray' is, damnit. Pretend your a rocket scientist, that's what i did, "neutral gray? Of course! why didn't i think of that!")
hmmm..looks like even Adobe Gamma wants me to keep contrast at 100% huh
:dolt: :dunce: :irony:

Last edited by MajorFreak on Fri Feb 07, 2003 8:04 am; edited 1 time in total
HiTekHick
Test Pilot
Test Pilot

PostPosted: Fri Feb 07, 2003 3:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow...Thanks for the contrast/brightness/gamma setting tips, Muffy! wtg
Post new topic   Reply to topic    UMEC Forum Index -> General Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: